Photography

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Photography

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Hi all,

I was just wondering whether there are any laws (state or federal) concerning taking photos of vehicles (such as buses) on public roads (i.e not in a depot). I know it is probably a silly question, but it has been bothering me for a while. Thank you in advance. :)

Edit: renamed topic to allow a broader range of questions to be asked, as it was outgrowing it's original "Photography Rules/Laws title.
Last edited by Lt. Commander Data on Tue May 31, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Photography Rules/Laws

Post by boronia »

NO

This has been discussed here previously. Basically, if you are in a public place you can photograph anything or anybody provided it is not for illegal purposes or a restricted area.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

That counts me out photographing in public they`ll one look at me and think I am a pervert. :mrgreen:
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
gld59

Post by gld59 »

Be sensitive to privacy of people. Vehicles don't have the same rights.

gld
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

In public as stated by boronia no obvious barriers, but some common sense should be applied.

My policy is no photo's where kids are around eg, kids boarding, waiting for, or alighting buses is a no, no in this day and age. In transit I think is okay,
as long as the individual kids can't be identified.

Also if a driver in particular is going to be in the photo (and bus/coach is parked for a break) it would be courtesy to ask them if it's okay if you take a photo - usually I find they are very amicable
and I've had many long conversations about the bus industry etc just in asking to take a photo.

For all they know with camera you could be a council inspector, police or other authority, which is usually the reason for an initial death stare or similar ( "what the ******* have I done wrong now")

Courtesy, courtesy, courtesy and you'll find doors will open to you.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Lt. Commander Data

ok, thanks everyone.
Lt. Commander Data

Just incase I left anyone hanging on this topic, I asked a driver on an 823 whether I could take some pics at Mt Lofty and Cleland, explained my interest in buses. He said he'd never been asked before so radioed in to the depot, who said that as long I wasn't taking pics of him driving or distracting him from driving it was OK. He even let me get a pic of the interior of the bus. I then had a nice long conversation about buses and cricket to this driver, who I saw the other day again and if he hadn't switched out at Aldgate I'm sure we'd have been chatting again (I was literally about to get up and talk to him).

There's always going to be a few dickheads though. Once a driver even called me onto his bus, told me to delete a photo (which I hadn't taken in the first place), then told me there were security cameras on the bus. I had to bite my tongue no to give him a mouthful. 2 days later I was in the same place, and who's driving by giving me the death stare? The same dickhead.

So what I'm saying is there are two extremes when it comes to drivers and photography of buses. As has been mentioned above, there's nothing they can do if:
1. You are on public ground (i.e the side of a road)
2. Not taking photos of the driver, but the bus
3. Not defacing the company the bus/driver is from
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I once had an ugly confrontation with the proprietor of a Sydney based charter operator (no names, but recently charged with underpaying his drivers) who took offence at my photographing his parked vehicles on rail replacement work. He went straight for the jugular so to speak, I tried reasoning for a few minutes but it was a lost cause. (I should add there were no drivers in any of the images). So I just deleted all the photos I'd taken in front of him and just walked away. Have never bothered to take another photo of his fleet. Apart from that one and only bad encounter I've had many great meetings and conversations with drivers.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

I ONCE took pics of a bus company from out side the depot & the owner demanded my camera or he would call the police ,Which he did they took my name & phone number.lattter was asked did I still have my bus pics as this now gone operater was swapping rego plates around & my pics were used in court! All out of a day bus gunzelling! :roll: :shock:
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

For WA,I met a nice CAT driver and he let me.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:Just incase I left anyone hanging on this topic, I asked a driver on an 823 whether I could take some pics at Mt Lofty and Cleland, explained my interest in buses. He said he'd never been asked before so radioed in to the depot, who said that as long I wasn't taking pics of him driving or distracting him from driving it was OK. He even let me get a pic of the interior of the bus. I then had a nice long conversation about buses and cricket to this driver, who I saw the other day again and if he hadn't switched out at Aldgate I'm sure we'd have been chatting again (I was literally about to get up and talk to him).

There's always going to be a few dickheads though. Once a driver even called me onto his bus, told me to delete a photo (which I hadn't taken in the first place), then told me there were security cameras on the bus. I had to bite my tongue no to give him a mouthful. 2 days later I was in the same place, and who's driving by giving me the death stare? The same dickhead.

So what I'm saying is there are two extremes when it comes to drivers and photography of buses. As has been mentioned above, there's nothing they can do if:
1. You are on public ground (i.e the side of a road)
2. Not taking photos of the driver, but the bus
3. Not defacing the company the bus/driver is from
Yeah I always busspot on public roads but I'm aware of drivers and surround me,so I try to hide it.I suggest put it on silent so he doesn't know that your rec. it and hide it in an arm band.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

And if I was a driver I would Allow it.
Ex Tempe Fox

Post by Ex Tempe Fox »

Myself don't give a rat's of anyone taking snaps of the bus. Interiors always ask and also when I'm outside. When driving I like to give a wave. It's just some drivers think they are being targeted for something the same blokes who cover the CCTV above their head. They say why was this pr#ck taking my photo and my reply is it just the bus. You need not worry and look at me confused I just say they take pictures of buses. Then asked if I do it I reply just a few the vehicles from our fleet just to show people who ask what I drive?. But I've found pictures of myself in the galleries driving a bus from the last 27 years. Keep up the good work.
Wayne.
Lt. Commander Data

I'll just link this question to this thread instead of starting a new one.

Does anyone know why my camera did this? I think it might be because the Auto Focus couldn't decide which vehicle to focus on, and I was taking it pointing into almost direct sunlight. It had quite a different effect to what I was expecting, but it is still interesting and not bad IMO. Any help would be appreciated.
100B8522.jpg
macpro622776

Post by macpro622776 »

What type of camera did you take this photo using? If you're using a phone, tap on the screen on one of the buses so it locks the auto-focus, before you press the shutter button. On a real camera, the shutter button usually is a two-step button, which means that if you press it halfway, it will focus, then press it down to the second step, it captures the image. You should always give it time to focus, whether by tapping on the screen or pressing halfway, before you capture the photo.
Lt. Commander Data

It was taken with a Kodak DX7590 Zoom (snappily named). It is 12 years old now but generally takes decent shots. It definitely has a two-step button, I might have been too quick for it to focus. Thanks for the help.
Lt. Commander Data

Re: Photography

I guess I'll tag this question here instead of starting a new thread.

So I'm planning on getting a new camera (just an entry level DSLR for now), and I don't know whether to get the Canon EOS 1200D, or the Nikon D3300. I've read multiple reviews on both, they seem to be around the same level, but different sites will tell you different things, it seems to be down to personal taste. If anyone here has had any experience with either and could shed some light onto which I should get, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
DAT_BOI
Favourite Vehicle: Unicycle

Post by DAT_BOI »

The D3300 is better in every aspect, but if your budget is bigger the Pentax K-50 is worth looking at, even though it has a lower megapixel count it has image stabilization and is weather proof.
Oh sh*t waddup!
Lt. Commander Data

OK, so I'm thinking of using a manual setting instead of auto when photographing now, but am worried about blurriness. Is it just a case of trial and error, or is there a range of shutter speeds/apertures I should try to stick to (talking about during the day here). Also, for the ISO should I just use 200 or 400, or is there a better setting for day photos?

Thanks in advance.
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

I use manual for most shots but night shots I still have issues with at times.

After 5yrs of having my Canon dslr night shots in manual are still trial and error

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
Lt. Commander Data

Well I'm back here with another question.

So I'm looking into getting a new lens for my Nikon D3300. Nothing wrong with my current lens, I'm just looking to upgrade a bit. At the moment I'm using the kit 18-55mm AF-P lens. So I don't really know what kind of lens to look for, should I look for a lens with a larger zoom, or a wider angle, or something else completely (with transport photography and landscapes being my main areas of photography). My budget is anything under $1000, all help is appreciated, even if it's just saying what kind of lens you have and how it works.

Cheers, Data
huppypuppy
Favourite Vehicle: Custom-Denning Element BEV Bus

Post by huppypuppy »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:Well I'm back here with another question.

So I'm looking into getting a new lens for my Nikon D3300. Nothing wrong with my current lens, I'm just looking to upgrade a bit. At the moment I'm using the kit 18-55mm AF-P lens. So I don't really know what kind of lens to look for, should I look for a lens with a larger zoom, or a wider angle, or something else completely (with transport photography and landscapes being my main areas of photography). My budget is anything under $1000, all help is appreciated, even if it's just saying what kind of lens you have and how it works.

Cheers, Data
Hi Lt. Commander!

I would highly suggest a telephoto lens, especially if you want to do more landscape photography.... a good quality telephoto lens is a pivotal item in any photographer's main kit bag...

Here are a couple of Tamron options:
http://tamron.com.au/di70-200_a009.html - SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
http://tamron.com.au/di70-200_a001.html - SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD [IF] MACRO

Hope this helps!

Joe
Avid photographer (Olympus user) and fellow gunzel

PS: If you need additional help, feel free to PM me and I will be able to assist where I can
Love the new Custom Denning vehicles
Including the Adventurer School Bus
And the Endeavour Low Floor
And the new Element 100% Electric Bus - the first Aussie BEV bus
Lt. Commander Data

Thankyou very much for that help happypuppy, it certainly helped me a lot.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”