old bedford

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
madworld

old bedford

Post by madworld »

Hi all.. not really into buses the way most of you seem to be but i just bought an old bedford to chop the roof off for a woodshed and thought i would see if any forum goers know anything about it before i do .. would hate to destroy it and find out later someone was trying to restore one and could have used x y or z .. don't have photobucket account but bappy to email photos if someone can upload them for me
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by MAN 16.242 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photos added
Centralian

Re: old bedford

Post by Centralian »

Where might this be located and any clues on the vehicle as to its previous life. Is that a route number above the desto ?
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
madworld

Post by madworld »

Also open to suggestions on how to remove the roof without damaging it .. preferably in one piece without drilling 99 trillion rivets out ..was planning on bolting a length of 50 x 50 angle tothe inside below the windows on each side and then cutting below that and lifting the lot with tractor
Last edited by madworld on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madworld

Post by madworld »

Its parked on a bush block near murwillumbah in northern nsw .. been gutted many years ago and turned into a bedroom so unfortunately there's no route numbers or identifying signage visibke anywhere .. will try and get a body number or manufacturers name off it this saturday
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

It's certainly a Bedford chassis of late 1940's or early 1950's vintage. I'm not game enough to try and pick the body builder. We had a few of these running in the Blue Mountains at the time, and no doubt a popular light chassis of the times.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
GM

Post by GM »

I think you will find it is a Waddingtons body c1947. See attached GM
Attachments
Stone Bros - mo 384 Bedford Waddingtons 33 03.1948 - Auburn Stn 13.10.1948 - r.JPG
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Post by CCCC »

Don't think theres been a barn find like this for a while.

Seems a shame to see it destroyed, could not be to many front bonneted like this anymore.
madworld

Post by madworld »

Love your work gm .. been looking for photos of anything similar for weeks and come up with nothing

cccc i thought the same, hence my putting it up here. the neighbour who owns it thinks there is a bedford truck with the same front on it further back on the property so going to check that out saturday
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Post by kelvin12 »

Isn't there an historic truck/vehicle forum somewhere out there. Seems a real shame to wreck it. I think some bus nut would want to have a go at this one.

Dirk
GM

Post by GM »

After the war petrol Bedfords were very popular. A lot were bodied by Properts (they also bodied a lot of GMC's as it was difficult to get bodies built by Syd Wood), some by Syd Wood and a few by Waddingtons.
A number of the Properts bodied vehicles went into service in the Blue Mountains with Jack Spellacy.
Photos from the Eddie Hayman Collection. GM
Attachments
Blythe E H - mo 357 Bedford Waddingtons - r.JPG
Blue Mountains Transport - MO 3281 Bedford Properts - Ritz Cnr.JPG
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Post by CCCC »

bumping this back up , so did it get saved , hopefully madworld gets auto notification

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”