employment enquiry

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
bobby

employment enquiry

Post by bobby »

HI WOULD ANYONE BE ABLE TO TELL ME, HOW GOOD YOUR MATHS NEEDS TO BE IN ORDER TO GAIN EMPLOYMENT
DRIVING BUSES IN MELBOURNE.
IF SOMEONE ASKED TO BUY 4 OR MORE TICKETS ON BUS DO YOU HAVE TO ADD THIS OR DOES THE TICKET MACHINE DO THAT FOR YOU.
IF YOU HAVE TO ADD MULTIPLE TICKETS PRICES CAN YOU USE A CALCULATOR :?
DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Re: employment enquiry

Post by DiAmOnD T »

The ticket machines add up for you, all you do is press the required buttons.
The Diesel Guy
- Mobile heavy vehicle repairs serving Sydney to Newcastle -

dieselguynsw@gmail.com
MetroTasCatcher
Favourite Vehicle: Ford Crown Victoria P71

Post by MetroTasCatcher »

Dunno about you, but down here the tickets are priced on the machine, and added up in accordance to however many are required to be printed
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ POLICE LINE - DO NOT CROSS ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Peter1805

Post by Peter1805 »

At least one of the Vic bus companies does a basic maths / giving of change /adding up amounts test as part of it's pre-employment testing.

I would have thought that at least a basic ability to add up and multiply would be required (or would be preferred) by most companies, but I could be wrong.
El Cubano
Favourite Vehicle: QR Electric Multiple Unit

Post by El Cubano »

Peter1805 wrote:At least one of the Vic bus companies does a basic maths / giving of change /adding up amounts test as part of it's pre-employment testing.

I would have thought that at least a basic ability to add up and multiply would be required (or would be preferred) by most companies, but I could be wrong.
I would imagine so too, perhaps in case the machine stopped working or even if the amount the passenger had to pay was disputed
Peter1805

Post by Peter1805 »

There are probably some basic maths/arithmetic software packages around - perhaps an educational supplier might stock them. I did a google search and found a few.

You could try this store in Mt Waverley:

http://www.linkeducational.com.au/contact.htm

May be worth getting hold of one and revising some of the basics learnt at school.

The machine probably does most of this anyway, but drivers also handle notes and probably need to know how much they have in notes for change, reporting of takings, etc.
Last edited by Peter1805 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobby

Post by bobby »

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES I DONT HAVE A REAL PROBLEM WITH ADDING OR SUBTRACTING ONLY IF A PASSENGER WANTED TO BY A NUNBER OF DIFFERENT TICKETS , IT WOULD BE FASTER IF THE TICKET MACHINE ON BUS DID IT FOR YOU.
IF THE TICKET MACHINES ON BUS DO IT FOR YOU CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHICH BUS COMPANIES IN MELBOUNNE HAVE THEM.
THANKS.

Admin: Approved but please note messages should not be posted in all capital letters.
Connex
Favourite Vehicle: XT 853M-1627T-854M

Post by Connex »

All buses in metropolitan Melbourne issue tickets via Metcard machines. IIRC, the console only displays the fare for one ticket.

The Metcard TIM (ticket issuing machine) allows the driver to select the ticket required, it'll display the price for one ticket and then a blank Metcard must be inserted into the validator to be printed. If more than one ticket needs to be issued just put another ticket into the validator for it to be printed.

Once you get a job with a bus company they'll train you how to use the TIM.
Metcard. Your ticket to Melbourne.
TempeFox

Post by TempeFox »

You can do multiple tickets for all different tickets by using the "+ plus button" But I can not find an option for doing the change as with the STA machine.

Regards "The Fox :D "
bobby

Post by bobby »

thanks for the info

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”