energy consumption of PT vehicles

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
AlanPears

energy consumption of PT vehicles

Post by AlanPears »

I'm working on a new greenhouse emission calculator, and to make flexible comparisons for varying occupancy, I need the following data for typical buses, trains, trams operating in major Australian cities:

* empty vehicle mass (eg tare mass)
* no of seats (plus max number allowed to be standing)
* litres/100km or kWh/100 km or MJ/100 km or other data I can convert to this form
* general information such as number of cars, maximum or typical operating speeds and conditions (eg suburban, intercity)

I would appreciate any leads

Alan Pears
Tonymercury

Re: energy consumption of PT vehicles

Post by Tonymercury »

Gary Glazebroook's works provide some of this information as does the NSW Transport Data Centre which can be accessed via the Ministry website.

Tony Bailey
AlanPears

Post by AlanPears »

Thanks Tony. I'll follow these up. My big problem has been that there are quite a few estimates of ghgs/pass-km but not the underlying data for the vehicles.

Alan Pears
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

Alan,

Have you found the data you're looking for?

I can't provide precise figures but can give some fairly accurate estimates for some of things you asked.

Empty bus: 9-12t. Generally about 10.

No. of seats: 43 - 57. State transit average around 45, Private bus probably 49

Standing capacity 15-45, State transit average maximum 15 (20 for 14.5m and articulated vehicles). Private bus average around 25.

Litres/100km - overall average around 40L/100km. Varies depending on make and model of bus from 25-60L/100km, but they are extremes with most buses beingand the average would be about 40.

Average bus operating speed is about 30km/h while in service according to what I have read in the news. That's calculated simply by the length of the routes divided by the time taken to drive them.

Hope this helps or maybe puts you on the right track.
Is it the truth, or did you hear it from the truth engineer?

http://www.forsyth.id.au/gallery/bus
Ben_Daui
Favourite Vehicle: 14.5 Scania

Post by Ben_Daui »

OMG, a bus drinks 40L/100KM, now thats expensive, buses are are bit more fuel efficient then Trucks, I don't know how Car Manufactures manage to make Diesel Cars fuel efficient.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Cars generally don't weigh 10 or more tonnes, nor do they have constant stop-start operation like a bus does...
PRT 065
Favourite Vehicle: Guess ?

Post by PRT 065 »

PRT 065 Drinks a Average of 38 Liters Per 100 Km , That Is With Half The Route Being In City Trafic , and Half The Route Being on Highway Work ,

I Have Been Told That Other Buses @ Prt On the Local Routes Drink Even More Fuel,'

Hope it helps,

Matt
Regards,
PRT 065

If you have any issues with the Queensland section, please send me a private message.
DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Post by DiAmOnD T »

Mr Bean wrote: Empty bus: 9-12t. Generally about 10.
A weighbridge slip i have for a non low floor mercedes is 9600kg and a low floor of recent times like a Scania is 11500kg. These are as is ready for service generally with a quarter tank of fuel
The Diesel Guy
- Mobile heavy vehicle repairs serving Sydney to Newcastle -

dieselguynsw@gmail.com
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

PRT 065 wrote:PRT 065 Drinks a Average of 38 Liters Per 100 Km , That Is With Half The Route Being In City Trafic , and Half The Route Being on Highway Work
That's very good for a B12BLE. They normally use between 45-55L/100km depending on their use.
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

And much higher if Stoney is driving one.
Is it the truth, or did you hear it from the truth engineer?

http://www.forsyth.id.au/gallery/bus

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”