[May/June 2020] SA Transport observations

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Re: [May/June 2019] SA Transport observations

Post by TT »

1419 and 1420 not at Port; they’ve been transferred to Edinburgh.
jibb

Post by jibb »

TT wrote:1419 and 1420 not at Port; they’ve been transferred to Edinburgh.
And they have lost 1824-1825 to St Agnes-does this mean less shifts at Port?
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

1824 and 1825 still at Port.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Bustech CDI 1790 seems to have joined the group of "dead" buses along side the fence, near Richmond Road at Mile End - any thoughts about what might be happening with this bus??

Once life gets back to normal, as I have previously noted, it should join the other DD at Mt Barker. where it could be used on runs that carry decent loads!!
jibb

Post by jibb »

Tim Williams wrote:Bustech CDI 1790 seems to have joined the group of "dead" buses along side the fence, near Richmond Road at Mile End - any thoughts about what might be happening with this bus??

Once life gets back to normal, as I have previously noted, it should join the other DD at Mt Barker. where it could be used on runs that carry decent loads!!
Wonder if the J!X route will continue when the new Bus Network is introduced in October?
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

If J1X does resume, which would seem unlikely given it's loading's to date, then I think it would be much better to install suitable luggage racks in a couple of normal single deckers and have them painted (or wrapped) in a special airport bus livery.

Then, as mentioned above, 1790 could be utilised in a far more productive way on "normal" routes.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

jibb wrote:
Tim Williams wrote:Bustech CDI 1790 seems to have joined the group of "dead" buses along side the fence, near Richmond Road at Mile End - any thoughts about what might be happening with this bus??

Wonder if the J!X route will continue when the new Bus Network is introduced in October?
I don't think J1X was listed in that Parliamentary report so I'd say it may not be coming back?

@Jibb - any idea on when consultation on the New Network will occur?
jibb

Post by jibb »

I don't think J1X was listed in that Parliamentary report so I'd say it may not be coming back?

@Jibb - any idea on when consultation on the New Network will occur?[/quote]
No further news-I have exhausted all my contacts to no avail-SAPTA are keeping this one close to their chest. Even the Minister's office couldn't or wouldn't give me a date.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Edinburgh Scania Artic 1109 has finally returned to service this afternoon after several months out of service.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Scania CB 80 Artic R803 which was loaned to Southlink recently for Salisbury Rail subs is back at Morphettville and was in service this afternoon.
jibb

Post by jibb »

A Southlink bus has caught fire at the Bus layover area on Railway Terrace Mile End opposite the Homemaker Centre.
Former driver37

Post by Former driver37 »

jibb wrote:A Southlink bus has caught fire at the Bus layover area on Railway Terrace Mile End opposite the Homemaker Centre.
Does anyone know the bus number? That's another Scania that's caught fire it's a wonder why the government allows Scania to make buses for Australian roads as these are a danger to the public
jibb

Post by jibb »

Fleet No 2415-Lonsdale Depot.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Former driver37 wrote:
jibb wrote:A Southlink bus has caught fire at the Bus layover area on Railway Terrace Mile End opposite the Homemaker Centre.
Does anyone know the bus number? That's another Scania that's caught fire it's a wonder why the government allows Scania to make buses for Australian roads as these are a danger to the public
Come on, it's not like they go up every few days. Last one was a TT artic at Marion a few years ago iirc.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Former driver37 wrote: Does anyone know the bus number? That's another Scania that's caught fire it's a wonder why the government allows Scania to make buses for Australian roads as these are a danger to the public
Are you saying that it is primarily Scania that is the culprit for all bus fires in Australia?

Remember that safety and quality is irrelevant. The price is all that matters, hence the current hideous bodies being delivered that do not match up with those of a conventional bus, such as a Volgren.

None are perfect, but that's another matter.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Former driver37 wrote:
Don't mean to be particularly targeting any one user, but come on, it's not necessarily Scania's fault. Just because one bus went up in flames doesn't mean all the others are going to. And I'd assume these buses are approaching mid-life. Same thing with the gassie fires up in Perth a while ago, yes a few did catch fire within 8 years, but it isn't necessarily Mercedes' fault, as it would be assumed that they are safe enough to operate. This is most likely a one-off thing with Scania as well... Let's back to the topic, I guess.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Bus Suggestions wrote:Same thing with the gassie fires up in Perth a while ago, yes a few did catch fire within 8 years, but it isn't necessarily Mercedes' fault, as it would be assumed that they are safe enough to operate. This is most likely a one-off thing with Scania as well...
As you might recall, at the time, the media tried to imply all gas buses were like ticking time bombs... The reality was, gas buses had been existent in the Perth fleet in one way or another since the early 1980s, without disastrous consequences for the travelling public. Of course, can't let the facts get in the way of a good old-fashioned media beat-up over nothing.

I don't have the inside story for Adelaide's fleet of Scanias, whether they're perceived as garbage by maintenance staff or the Government authority responsible for ordering them. For the O-Bahn artics that have had more catastrophic failures, I wonder if these buses are truly suitable for that sort of work or not?
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Last night on the news they said it was likely an electrical fault that caused the blaze. Some video footage showed the front of the bus burning but not the back of the bus (initially), so maybe it was somewhere around the computer at the front of the bus where it ignited? Doesn't look like it was an engine fire to blame on this occasion. Certainly the big black smoke cloud looked different to what an engine fire normally looks like. Still early days, but I wouldn't have thought the Scania engine was to blame on this occasion.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Yeah, the driver went back to it after his meal break and it refused to start. A mechanic was on his way to get it going but it caught fire in the meantime. I was hoping one of the other drivers got a video of it all.
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Re: [May/June 2020] SA Transport observations

Post by thedom »

Overnight train line closure - Outer Harbour & Grange Lines - 7pm onwards 30th-31st May 2020.

Code: Select all

https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Announcements/Service-Updates/Outer-Harbor-Grange-line-late-night-weekend-closure
bustitute timetable available via the link...
jibb

Post by jibb »

Elizabeth Scania 2523(ex Aldgate 3224) has returned to Aldgate(minus Fleet numbers).
jibb

Post by jibb »

2 new Scania Bustechs 1059 and 1060 being prepared for service at Morphettville Depot.
jibb

Post by jibb »

1059 entered service this afternoon on a G20F.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Torrens Transit MAN SL 202 885 has been retired.
jibb

Post by jibb »

1060 Scania Bustech(Morphettille Depot) has commenced service.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”