Page 1 of 2

[Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:29 pm
by The Phonj
With only two months of the year left (where has the year gone?!?), welcome to November. The National Pharmacies Christmas Pageant will be held on Saturday, 9 November - with additional working of bus, train and tram services, and detours and short workings for City services. A different route for the Pageant this year, instead of concluding at the "Magic Cave" in David Jones; it will now finish at the Adelaide Town Hall.

The first sod has been turned on the Gawler line electrification, as per this video from transport minister Knoll. https://www.facebook.com/stephan.knoll. ... &width=560

The contract from the South Australian government to deliver 340 Scania buses with bodies by Precision Buses (rigids) and Custom Coaches (artics) was signed by the Government, with delivery set to commence next year.

Progress on the extension of the Tonsley line to Flinders continues, with the obvious progress to date being the construction of a number of support pylons.

The successful tenders of the East-West, O-Bahn and Hills contract areas should be known soon.

Post your observations regarding South Australian transport observations that wouldn't seem to warrant their own thread here.

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:00 pm
by jibb
I think that delivery of the new Scania/Precision bus to be delivered should read-"next year".
There are currently no new Scania Bustech buses being delivered and the first of the new contract for buses probably wont be till late January/early February. Torrens Transit have 5 MAN SL 202's to be retired in November/December-am wondering what new buses will replace them?
meantime Scania Artic R808 is now 808 and is operating out of St Agnes Depot as an O-Bahn bus. Started service last night.

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:53 am
by jibb
Scania Artic(previously R808) is now 808 in service on the O-Bahn,based at St Agnes Depot.

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:52 pm
by jibb
807 and 1182 have now gone into service on the O-Bahn,both based at St Agnes.

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:44 pm
by thedom
https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announcements/Service-Updates/Edinburgh-Air-Show-2019

Additional services on Gawler line this weekend for Edinburgh Air Show

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:56 pm
by jibb
Southlink ran shuttles at the Edinburgh Air Show this weekend-1 train Shuttle to/from Elizabeth South Station,the other 2 from the 2 car parks.
All Artics from Hills,Lonsdale and Elizabeth plus Torrens Transit's R803-R804-R805,R1184,R1185 and R1186.
At about 35 Artics where in use to cover extremely large crowd today of over 35000 people.
A great and professionally run show.
The buses had special destinations for all 3 locations plus boards at the front of the buses to make it easier for the crowds leaving the show.
At around 3pm it took nearly 30 minutes from the start of the exits to reach the buses.

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:22 pm
by TA3001
At least 8 Newton MAN buses have been showing their age recently. 1669, 1672, 1675, and 1783 all have gearboxes that are on their last legs,

1674 and 1786 seem to have CNG intake issues, as they are ridiculously slow in the lower gears, but not so bad once they get into fourth.

Also, 1740 hasn't been healthy for years now, due to what I suspect is also transmission issues. I recall noticing this in 2016, with it being in similar condition today. 1767 is not really fit for service in it's current condition either in my opinion.

But at the end of the day, they're still better to ride than almost any 1900/1000 series Scania.

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:25 pm
by jibb
It (Newton)has 1338 MAN NL 202 out of service for a long time as well as St Agnes Depot with 4 of theirs off the road for a few months.

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:40 pm
by Crispy!
TA3001 wrote:At least 8 Newton MAN buses have been showing their age recently. 1669, 1672, 1675, and 1783 all have gearboxes that are on their last legs,

1674 and 1786 seem to have CNG intake issues, as they are ridiculously slow in the lower gears, but not so bad once they get into fourth.

Also, 1740 hasn't been healthy for years now, due to what I suspect is also transmission issues. I recall noticing this in 2016, with it being in similar condition today. 1767 is not really fit for service in it's current condition either in my opinion.

But at the end of the day, they're still better to ride than almost any 1900/1000 series Scania.


I have noticed a few K320UA’s with ZF “Allisonitis” gearbox problems 1102,1173,1181

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 pm
by TA3001
1102 reminds me of MAN SL202 1635, with it's slow acceleration.

It will probably continue to struggle along until it's engine gives up the ghost, which could be in the KW St/North Tce intersection in peak hour for all we know.

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:04 pm
by jibb
It appears there was a minor fire on Scania O-Bahn Artic 1109 tonight on Sir Donald Bradman Drive.
There are currently 4 Artics out of service at the moment(presumably awaiting engine parts)--1141,1151,1850(St Agnes) and 1101(Morphettville).
Probably just as well there have been 5 additional O-Bahn Artics introduced into service recently.

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:00 pm
by TA3001
1033 looked like it was doing a Morphettville shift last night.

Have some of these been shifted there to account for SL withdrawals?

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:03 pm
by jibb
TA3001 wrote:1033 looked like it was doing a Morphettville shift last night.

Have some of these been shifted there to account for SL withdrawals?

Not as yet. Don't think at this stage Mile End can afford to lose any of its allocation.

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:07 pm
by Former driver37
jibb wrote:It appears there was a minor fire on Scania O-Bahn Artic 1109 tonight on Sir Donald Bradman Drive.
There are currently 4 Artics out of service at the moment(presumably awaiting engine parts)--1141,1151,1850(St Agnes) and 1101(Morphettville).
Probably just as well there have been 5 additional O-Bahn Artics introduced into service recently.

1101 back in service this afternoon on a M44 to Golden Grove

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:29 pm
by jibb
MAN SL 202 has now been retired.

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:24 pm
by Former driver37
jibb wrote:MAN SL 202 has now been retired.

What number is that one mate that has been retired?

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:28 pm
by jibb
Former driver37 wrote:
jibb wrote:MAN SL 202 has now been retired.

What number is that one mate that has been retired?

Sorry it is 867.

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:38 pm
by TA3001
What's replaced it at Morphettville?

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:54 pm
by jibb
TA3001 wrote:What's replaced it at Morphettville?

Nothing.

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:46 pm
by transenthusiast
Saw 1755 & two other Mile End CNG NL202's on Morphettville shifts this morning

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:46 pm
by transenthusiast
Saw 1755 & two other Mile End CNG NL202's on Morphettville shifts this morning

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:46 pm
by transenthusiast
Saw 1755 & two other Mile End CNG NL202's on Morphettville shifts this morning

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:05 pm
by jibb
As of this Friday(29th November) SL 202 868/869/870 will be retired.
MAN NL 202 CNG 1755 and 1756 will transfer from Mile End Depot to Morphettville Depot.

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:04 pm
by TA3001
Based on how it's sounding right now, 1157 may be off the road very soon.

It literally reminds of 4471, and such a vehicle is not even a bus

Re: [Nov/Dec 2019] SA Transport observations

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:08 pm
by jibb
jibb wrote:As of this Friday(29th November) SL 202 868/869/870 will be retired.
MAN NL 202 CNG 1755 and 1756 will transfer from Mile End Depot to Morphettville Depot.

1755 and 1756 are now at Morphettville Depot.