BUS ROUTES TO BE SCRAPPED IN DRIVE FOR SAVINGS

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
jibb

Re: BUS ROUTES TO BE SCRAPPED IN DRIVE FOR SAVINGS

Post by jibb »

This is only the start of cuts/changes. As the Minister says when the new contracts kick in after July 1st,there will be further cuts later in the year.
jibb

Post by jibb »

DPTI plan to investigate creating separate bus timetable during peak hours in school holidays.
As less commuters use the services, plus less traffic on the roads services can be speeded up, rather than buses meandering along to the next time point, or having to sit at a time point for up to 5 minutes waiting for the correct departure times.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Is it just me or are some of these cuts a little bit petty? Like for instance, route 683 is only 2.6km long and takes 8 minutes from one end to another, and presently runs on a Sunday from 08:25 - 18:25, with one bus every two hours.

The service span is being reduced to 10:25 - 18:25 with the removal of the first service. Is there really any huge financial saving to be made by removing this trip, which makes an already terrible service even worse?
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Speaking of short services, if the 150Ps were removed, this would free up a bit of funding for the 333s to return. Surely these are even more useless given that they only operate to reduce not in service running. They must have been implemented by Labor as a result of them possibly being persuaded by the operators.

Also, there are a heap of unnecessary O'bahn services that operate in the afternoon that run to the city such as the 501, 506 etc. Handing these costs over to the operator would surely be a smarter idea than removing feeders some folks are reliant on. LCB did lose a fair bit of money from all the not in service running if what I've heard is correct. Removing the through-linking of the M44, G40, 502/110 routes would also save some cash, as from my obs there is quite a bit of not in service running with these O'bahn shifts. The numbers that use these services to get from TTP to Habortown or Marion would be fairly low, compared to those just going to the city. The J1 to from Elizabeth to Glenelg is also a waste of resources.

I think I have heard a mention of an O'bahn bus heading up Main North Rd (possibly from the city, or somewhere nearby) to start a J1 from Elizabeth. Might have been a Port bus, but this is a prime example of operational inefficency, due to absurd requirements with bus allocations. All O'bahn buses should be based at St Agnes in my opinion, possibly with a few stored at Mile End overnight.

The 403 could surely be scrapped as well with little to no backlash, as well as some H30s that continue to West Lakes in interpeak.
jibb

Post by jibb »

If you scrap through running of G40,M44,110/501/500/502 you would require more buses because of turn around/layover times in the City. You might as well cut out all through running-crazy idea, would cost millions more and is not the way to make services more efficient.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

The 721L probably shouldn't be included as that list as that bus is on its way back to Lonsdale depot anyway and just takes passengers as far as junk food junction as a courtesy. Most of the other alterations seem sensible as many early/late services run empty so why run them at all?
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

I think its time SL routes were brought back to run at night time, surely it will be cheaper to run mini buses at night.

Even in areas such as Davoren Park a night time route could be a combination of 451, 452, 461 and 462
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Most likely wouldn't be worth it. Don't forget there's the cost of the driver plus having at least one staff member back at the depot. Also driver safety has to be considered.
Westside

Post by Westside »

TA3001 wrote:Speaking of short services, if the 150Ps were removed, this would free up a bit of funding for the 333s to return. Surely these are even more useless given that they only operate to reduce not in service running. They must have been implemented by Labor as a result of them possibly being persuaded by the operators.
The 150P/Bs were only ever a way to get the 157 buses back/from the depot at Port Adelaide, so they won't achieve any savings on their own. The full 150s generally became the 333s, so it'll be interesting to see if the 157 gets extended to Osborne to return as a 150 and thus cover the loss of the 333. Or if they will just run Not In Service from Largs to Osborne. I'd really like the 254 to run to Semaphore like the N254, but I get the feeling extensions are off the cards for a while...
The good stuff is above!
Crispy!
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O405NH

Post by Crispy! »

Eurostar wrote:I think its time SL routes were brought back to run at night time, surely it will be cheaper to run mini buses at night.

Even in areas such as Davoren Park a night time route could be a combination of 451, 452, 461 and 462
Ahh the good days when Serco and Torrens Transit had Mitsubishi Rosa's doing SL Routes, TT O-Bahn feeder work and Roam Zones.
BUSWAY EQUIPPED:
PLEASE CHECK GUIDEWHEELS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

Isn’t it time we reviewed the whole bus system? Many bus routes have not changed that much since they were introduced.

The Le Fevre Peninsula and Port Adelaide area seem to be the whipping area. Yes, there is an excellent train service. But trains run on a fixed line. Port Adelaide Station is not the best station for the elderly or disabled. There are no elevators available. And, it is not in the best location to get to the heart of Port Adelaide.

I still think a bus should compliment the train. It opens up the heart of Port Adelaide to people who live a distance from a train station that struggle with mobility.

Access from Port Adelaide to Semaphore is now non-existent, unless you are able to walk from Glanville or travel via West Lakes.

Access from Port Adelaide to West Lakes in the evening is still non-existent.

I understand that if a service that has low passenger numbers should be cut back, but some services just need to remain intact. Be a service to the community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

The new Liberal transport minister announced a couple of months ago that there would be a review of bus services, this hasn’t happened yet. But he did say he wanted to look at having more inter-suburb services, rather than being so City-based. But in the round of cuts that kick in on 27 Jan it’s the inter-suburb services that have been cut (eg 333,350).
And what I also find strange is that bus stops are gradually being made disability/disabled compliant (level concrete ground, tactile surfacing, shelters having room for wheelchair): great. Charles Sturt Council doing an awful lot, but those along Frederick Rd between Old Port Rd and WL Blvd (finished about 3 months ago) will no longer be bus stops. Yes, a few will still be used by the 2 hourly interpeak 371,372 services but given their minimal passenger loadings I think their days are numbered. I guess there is 1 morning school bus service along that section of Frederick Rd. All bus stops on the 376 Delfin Island loop are DDA compliant: again I’ll be surprised if that route lasts much longer given its minimal loadings.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

The AdMet page listing bus route cuts has been updated to include some more Torrens Transit services. Of note is that J1 buses will now no longer deviate via the Lyell McEwin Hospital.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Thanks Hillsbus for letting us know of updated TT changes. I expect timetables will go online early next week.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

hillsbus wrote:The AdMet page listing bus route cuts has been updated to include some more Torrens Transit services. Of note is that J1 buses will now no longer deviate via the Lyell McEwin Hospital.
The J1 will still service the Lyell McEwin Hospital.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

Eagle Eye wrote:
hillsbus wrote:The AdMet page listing bus route cuts has been updated to include some more Torrens Transit services. Of note is that J1 buses will now no longer deviate via the Lyell McEwin Hospital.
The J1 will still service the Lyell McEwin Hospital.
There are a few options regarding the Lyell McEwin deviation:

1) John Rice Avenue, Haydown Road, there is a turnaround area just north of the Oldham Road junction, then Haydown Road, John Rice Avenue

2) John Rice Avenue, Haydown Road, Rollison Avenue, Osler Street, John Rice Avenue or vice versa

3) Hogarth Road, Haydown Road, John Rice Avenue, vice versa

In my opinion a switcheroo should occur

500 to Elizabeth via Bridge Road, The Grove Way, Main North Road, John Rice Avenue, Haydown Road, Burgate Street, Fairfield Road, Philip Highway, Playford Boulevard, Oxenham Drive, Elizabeth Way, Mountbatten Square, Elizabeth Station.

500 to from Elizabeth Station via Mountbatten Square, Elizabeth Way, Philip Highway, Fairfield Road, Burgate Street, Haydown Road, John Rice Avenue, Main North Road, The Grove Way, Bridge Road then existing route to City.

502 could still run its existing route.

The Bridge Road Go Zone can still be maintained.

The J1 would not have to deviate via the Lyell McEwin as passengers can transfer at the footbridge or The Grove Way stop.
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

Thanks Eagle Eye.

Maybe the note on the AdMet website refers to the J1 reverting to it's Main North Rd route at Elizabeth City Centre then?

Looks like they've updated the AdMet page this morning with this new text -

"J1-J2-C1-C2
J1 to return to Main North Road route - will continue to service Lyell McEwin Hospital
J1A Monday to Friday services from Tea Tree Plaza at 4.15am, 4.35am and 4.55am reduced to 4.20am and 4.50am
J1-J1T Monday to Friday services from Airport at 4.57am, 5.17am and 5.37am reduced to 5.01am and 5.31am"

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”