City Tram Line Extension Works Detours

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
jibb

City Tram Line Extension Works Detours

Post by jibb »

Construction will commence from 10pm on Monday 1st January 2018 to Monday 15th January 2018.
The intersection will be closed during these times,as a results a number of bus services will be required to detour and tram services will only operate from Glenelg and Victoria Square.
A substitute bus service will operate from Victoria Square to the Entertainment Centre.
http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announc ... ks-Detours
jibb

Re: City Tram Line Extension Works Detours

Post by jibb »

This closure has now been extended to first services on Monday 22nd January 2018
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I wonder if they will allocate the time that I initially anticipated with the tram substitutes.

This being 34 minutes from Vic Sq to the Entertainment Centre, and 39 minutes back to Vic Sq. They have to do right turns into KW St, then loop around Vic Sq.

I'm fairly it won't be a 20 minute trip, as one schedule apparently suits all with train subs, no matter if it's morning peak, or the last service on Boxing day.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Wonder if LCB are covering Bus Subs between Victoria Square and Entertainment Centre?
jibb

Post by jibb »

TA3001 wrote:I wonder if they will allocate the time that I initially anticipated with the tram substitutes.

This being 34 minutes from Vic Sq to the Entertainment Centre, and 39 minutes back to Vic Sq. They have to do right turns into KW St, then loop around Vic Sq.

I'm fairly it won't be a 20 minute trip, as one schedule apparently suits all with train subs, no matter if it's morning peak, or the last service on Boxing day.
If you look at Bus sub timetable-running times are;-
Victoria Square to Entertainment Centre is 27 minutes
Entertainment Centre to Victoria Square is 37 minutes.
These running times are the same every day regardless of the time.
Obviously too hard for someone at DTPI with a computer to work out according to the day and time.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

If the feelings weren't almost mutual regarding PT across the country, I'd say that Adelaide's is decades behind other cities regarding most aspects.

My estimate was based on the slowest journey times possible, in gridlock. It's surprising that the actual travel time is longer than this, even at midnight. It may even be quicker just to walk to the city.

In short, it's gonna fun for drivers sitting in their CB80s laying over at what would presumably be temporary stops in the city to account for this. Or are they going to be artics occupying valuable space at each stop taking out time?
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

Torrens are doing the Tram substitute services.
Torrens_5022

Post by Torrens_5022 »

It's timetabled to take 19mins from ARS to Vic Square, it's about 1km if you walk, so walking would be quicker. Pity they couldn't terminate the trams at Rundle Mall and the Train Station, I know they have nowhere to store trams in the west but you could hire security to guard them, also probably no cross overs.
jibb

Post by jibb »

The only reason I believe Rundle Mall crossover cant be used is that part of the road is closed to shuttle buses(they cant U-turn).
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

I wouldn't particularly want to have a fleet of vehicles isolated from the solitary maintenance facility for such a lengthy time. While it may be feasible to keep a small fleet captive to the ARS - Ent. Ctr trip, it would in no way be practical. Other practicalities may ensue - I suspect that the substation under the Morphett St bridge will be switched off for the duration of the works to eliminate the potential of electrocution to the workers.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

I'd also expect the existing overhead wires at the KWS/NT intersection will be removed first and therefore trams wouldn't be able to operate as far as Rundle Mall (and right up to the NT intersection to turn back) anyway.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

251-254 are now detouring back past WCH via War Memorial Drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jibb

Post by jibb »

The North Terrace/King William Street intersection will open to buses and normal vehicular traffic from 600am next Monday 15th January.
Trans will continue to terminate at Victoria Square until last service on Sunday 21st January. Shuttle buses will now travel to and from the Entertainment Centre via King William Street and North Terrace and Port Road..
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

I looked over the fence lunchtime today (Saturday).

If that is ready 6am Monday I will be very surprised.

PD2/20

Post by PD2/20 »

bigrobbo wrote:I looked over the fence lunchtime today (Saturday).

If that is ready 6am Monday I will be very surprised.

To get road traffic running by 6am Monday seems possible, as the asphalting of the corners is the main work outstanding. There is certainly some concreting of the track to be done towards the station and the overhead to be installed, but there is another week before the tram resumes.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

My goodness. It opened!!

I find it funny. A West-bound tram along North Tce can turn left heading south along King William St.

But a north-bound tram along King William St cannot turn right and head east along North Tce.

Roderick Smith

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick.

North Terrace and King William intersection has now reopened January 15, 2018.
THE North Terrace and King William St intersection has been reopened this morning — tram services won’t resume until next week.
The busy CBD intersection has been closed for a fortnight while Stage 4 of works are undertaken as part of the $80 million tram extension project.
Work on the controversial intersection was conducted around the clock to minimise disruption. It was expected to be open at 6am on Monday, but was pushed back to 7am.
While motorists will be able to drive through the intersection, tram services between the Entertainment Centre and Victoria Square will resume on January 22 — after the final stage of the Tour Down Under.
Speed restrictions have been lifted from 25km/h to 40km/h.
The North Tce/King William St intersection isn’t the only major transport route reopening on Monday morning as services resumed on the Grange and Outer Harbor line.
Train services on the popular line have been closed since September 24, pushing passengers onto free substitute buses.
Commuters travelling on the train line will receive free trips until January 28 “in recognition of the impact of the works”.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 0980e95d89
* Extend the tram to North Adelaide.
* New tram should turn right at North Terrace.
softgrow

Post by softgrow »

bigrobbo wrote:My goodness. It opened!!

I find it funny. A West-bound tram along North Tce can turn left heading south along King William St.

But a north-bound tram along King William St cannot turn right and head east along North Tce.
Probably a bit tricky to do those turns there is no overhead wire above the curves on the Eastern side. Maybe you need a bit of speed up before you turn. :D
jibb

Post by jibb »

All overheads including King William Street/North Terrace Intersection, King William Road and North Terrace(Eastern sector) will be completed over next 2 weeks-it was not required for it to be completed before now.
PD2/20

Post by PD2/20 »

softgrow wrote:Probably a bit tricky to do those turns there is no overhead wire above the curves on the Eastern side. Maybe you need a bit of speed up before you turn. :D
I would guess the priority this week with the overhead is to do what is need to restore the Glenelg - Entertainment Centre service. There is not the same urgency for the eastern curves, which can't be used until the track and overhead to the Festival Centre and East End are operational.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Tram services between Victoria Square and the Entertainment Centre following testing last night of trams testing new tracks
It has not been smooth sailing though with long delays to services due to faulty lights along North Terrace.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

So now we have some significant tram extensions announced by SA Labor - Norwood and a long branch going off to the Magill Campus and O'Connell St (Nth Adel) with an extension along narrow Prospect Road! WHERE IS ALL THE MONEY COMING FROM??? This is typical Labor election promises with no substance, I just hope the masses do not believe this total rubbish from the moron pair - Jay & Tom.

I have an enquiry about the new short tram extension along KW Road past the Festival Theatre - why does the newly erected overhead wiring stop well short of the new track extensions??

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”