Adelaide's busiest bus routes?

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
tonyp

Adelaide's busiest bus routes?

Post by tonyp »

I'm doing a check around Australia to find which are the most heavily-patronised individual bus routes in each major city. I'm talking about patronage (passenger journeys) per annum on individual routes, not where groups of routes go along one section of a common corridor.

Instinctively I would think that one of the O Bahn routes might be one of the busiest, as this corridor carries something between 10 and 12 million people per annum according to information over the years. But this is several routes combined. I'm looking for the single busiest route service.

The other part of the question relates to the free services in Adelaide CBD - the free circulator bus loops and the tram between South Terrace and Convention Centre. The last figure I've seen for all free services in Adelaide, including event specials, is about 8 million ppa, but has anybody seen any subdivision for the tram and the loop buses within that figure? The total patronage on the tram is published of course, but that includes the Glenelg line. I would be presuming as a ballpark guess that the free section of the tram carries about 2/3 to 3/4 of the total tram patronage (?). TIA.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Re: Adelaide's busiest bus routes?

Post by Eurostar »

300 would have to be a busy route. Followed by M44, 224, 228,
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Norman
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Norman »

tonyp wrote:I'm doing a check around Australia to find which are the most heavily-patronised individual bus routes in each major city. I'm talking about patronage (passenger journeys) per annum on individual routes, not where groups of routes go along one section of a common corridor.

Instinctively I would think that one of the O Bahn routes might be one of the busiest, as this corridor carries something between 10 and 12 million people per annum according to information over the years. But this is several routes combined. I'm looking for the single busiest route service.

The other part of the question relates to the free services in Adelaide CBD - the free circulator bus loops and the tram between South Terrace and Convention Centre. The last figure I've seen for all free services in Adelaide, including event specials, is about 8 million ppa, but has anybody seen any subdivision for the tram and the loop buses within that figure? The total patronage on the tram is published of course, but that includes the Glenelg line. I would be presuming as a ballpark guess that the free section of the tram carries about 2/3 to 3/4 of the total tram patronage (?). TIA.
The M44, which runs between Marion Centre Interchange and Golden Grove Village Interchange, is the city’s most popular bus route by total number of passengers — around 500,000 more for the year than the next busiest route.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 1a18decafb
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Any actual patronage figures for these busiest routes anybody?
This threw up a paywall, so I can't read it.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

G10
Torrens_5022

Post by Torrens_5022 »

Lets see if this link works, its from the paywalled article above. http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/b23c ... ?width=650
Data is a bit old but M44 is clearly the busiest route.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

It may give a skewed view of the loadings; but four of the top five routes are cross-City routes: M44, G10, B10 and H30 all go between two suburban destinations via the City while other through-running routes that have different numbers on each side of the City (e.g. 190, 230) are counted separately.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Torrens_5022 wrote:Lets see if this link works, its from the paywalled article above. http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/b23c ... ?width=650
Data is a bit old but M44 is clearly the busiest route.
Thank you, just what I needed!
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I found that a Google search for the article (and clicking) momentarily resolved the paywall issue. There are supposedly other methods too that I won't mention.

There isn't a great deal on there that isn't on news.com.au anyhow.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

On our recent family holiday we travelled on the Glenelg tram.Although not a bus route this would have to rank the busiest public transport service in Adelaide.Packed most of the route with very good passenger turnover.Anyone know the patronage figures here??.Based on the loadings I saw it certaintly justifies an upgrade on peak and off peak frequency.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The Glenelg (paid) component of the line accounts for only about 2+ million ppa but with the free zone passengers added its about 7 to 8 million ppa. Yes it's busier than any individual bus route but one would hope so, being a tram! However its not as busy as the combined services along the O Bahn that I understand carry about 10 to 12 million ppa.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”