[Nov/Dec 2017] SA Transport observations

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Eagle Eye

Re: [Nov/Dec 2017] SA Transport observations

Post by Eagle Eye »

Eurostar wrote:I was driving along hewittson road (road to Elizabeth depot) in front was a Torrens Transit MAN 11.190 bus # 1714 , it turned into depot. It had J1X on back desto
That may have been the one I saw on a 225X yesterday, not 1704.
TA3001 wrote:That would have been an interesting photo opportunity.

The reasons being that it's unusual for a non hills Southlink vehicle not to get renumbered into the 2000 range (obviously due to requirements). Also, Southlink midis are forbidden from doing city runs.

Did it have Southlink listed on the side above the door?
It was showing a handwritten 225X on an A4 piece of paper stuck on the front windscreen. Pretty sure it still showed Torrens Transit above the driver's window.
route 228

Post by route 228 »

I guess any Bus will Do R804 is doing the 400 from Elizabeth Station to Salisbury North, Wednesday Afternoon.
Living on the 228 bus run.

Route 228 Smithfield interchange to Victoria Square in the city of Adelaide South Australia.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

Route 506 wrote:Whilst waiting for my bus this morning which is often a CNG SL202, I had the pleasant surprise of SL202 Diesel 444 arriving. A lucky break given the few remaining SL202 diesels, and with 443 gone last week, it was probably the last trip I'll get on one! It still seemed to be running as well as ever!
444 was out and about yesterday morning. I did a 239 out of the city to Churchill Centre on it. It was a great birthday present!

The 9:17am 361 from Port Adelaide this morning was good old 612. I thought those buses came out early and were put to bed around 9ish!
jibb

Post by jibb »

bigrobbo wrote:
Route 506 wrote:Whilst waiting for my bus this morning which is often a CNG SL202, I had the pleasant surprise of SL202 Diesel 444 arriving. A lucky break given the few remaining SL202 diesels, and with 443 gone last week, it was probably the last trip I'll get on one! It still seemed to be running as well as ever!
444 was out and about yesterday morning. I did a 239 out of the city to Churchill Centre on it. It was a great birthday present!

The 9:17am 361 from Port Adelaide this morning was good old 612. I thought those buses came out early and were put to bed around 9ish!
With St Agnes and Wingfield depots dong Mawson Lakes trips(ML2) 612 and 613 are doing more trips including City runs,plus Wingfield has Midis 118 and 119.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Midis 1710 and 1720, along with 2107 have been doing Gawler runs today.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

Just spotted 438 on a 288S on Valetta Rd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

i was most surprised to see a long bus of southlink used on a 560 some weeks back now.you normally don't see many of those.in fact the last time i ever saw 560's operated by articulated buses was back in the serco days of 2000-2005 when they took over the st agnes depot and way before that as a kid/teen in the 90's coming home from ttp as a kid initially in the school holidays but later also after switching to a north eastern area to see out my high school years i remember the 4:15pm 560 ttp to elizabeth and this even existed after the tl3 came onto the scene as a mercedes numbered 1545 to 1595 or a man numbered 1946 to 1953.they switched from 1995 to volvo b59's and then back to short mercs.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

homer9000 wrote:i was most surprised to see a long bus of southlink used on a 560 some weeks back now.you normally don't see many of those.in fact the last time i ever saw 560's operated by articulated buses was back in the serco days of 2000-2005 when they took over the st agnes depot and way before that as a kid/teen in the 90's coming home from ttp as a kid initially in the school holidays but later also after switching to a north eastern area to see out my high school years i remember the 4:15pm 560 ttp to elizabeth and this even existed after the tl3 came onto the scene as a mercedes numbered 1545 to 1595 or a man numbered 1946 to 1953.they switched from 1995 to volvo b59's and then back to short mercs.
I remember before the MAN artics were used on rail subs that sometimes they were used on 560s
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

It's possible that 1964 is showing up on Transit Times as doing a 98C. I only saw it in person, so will have to confirm this.
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

homer9000 wrote:i was most surprised to see a long bus of southlink used on a 560 some weeks back now.you normally don't see many of those.in fact the last time i ever saw 560's operated by articulated buses was back in the serco days of 2000-2005 when they took over the st agnes depot and way before that as a kid/teen in the 90's coming home from ttp as a kid initially in the school holidays but later also after switching to a north eastern area to see out my high school years i remember the 4:15pm 560 ttp to elizabeth and this even existed after the tl3 came onto the scene as a mercedes numbered 1545 to 1595 or a man numbered 1946 to 1953.they switched from 1995 to volvo b59's and then back to short mercs.
I did see 2852 doing a 560 on a Sunday a few weeks back, which I must admit was a bit of a surprise. Every so often during the week you may spot an artic on the 560 but weekends are very rare.
bigrobbo wrote:

I think most days the 361 leaving TTP at approx. 8:30am is either 612 or 613, which would obviously form the 9:17am return trip from Port Adelaide.

On another note, enjoying the return (however long it lasts) of the Midis. Got a ride on 122 this morning.

Interesting if 1714 is now doing rail subs. I could be wrong, but wasn't that bus along with 1711 and 1712 loaned to various locations (I know 1711 was in Port Pirie), and 1712 & 1714 were either Murray Bridge or Mt Gambier respectively?
jibb

Post by jibb »

1714 is in fact on rail subs.
Wondering if some of the Midis at Morphettville Depot will stay to cover loss of some non-O-Bahn buses to St Agnes depot for conversion to O-Bahn buses to cover extra services when new timetables come into operation?
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Stop AA in King William Rd has been moved about 50m nearer North Terrace and now sports a Bus Layover sign.
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

Skexis wrote:Stop AA in King William Rd has been moved about 50m nearer North Terrace and now sports a Bus Layover sign.
Does that mean in-service buses won't be stopping there while for much longer? It's a somewhat popular stop for passengers alighting at certain times of day.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

AA is a very popular stop for Adelaide Uni students, walking from that stop along Victoria Drive or across the Torrens Parade ground to get to the Science buildings in the lower section of the uni, near corner of Kintore Avenue and Victoria Drive.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

There is a closure sign on the stop but I didn't read it.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

jibb wrote:1714 is in fact on rail subs.
Wondering if some of the Midis at Morphettville Depot will stay to cover loss of some non-O-Bahn buses to St Agnes depot for conversion to O-Bahn buses to cover extra services when new timetables come into operation?
1714 is not doing rail subs - it is operating regular services to release other buses onto rail subs.
The Midis are only in service for the duration of the rail closure.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

In service buses still servicing stop AA in King Wm St, it’s jyst shifted slightly further north temporarily.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

They'll have a job if it's being used as a layover zone.

It would appear, once again, that buses are the last thing considered by anyone involved in planning road infrastructure. We're always being told we can't do this or we can't layover there and it's getting pretty boring. Just for once I'd like to see buses given priority in something. There again the Govt don't give a crap as we're privatised and therefore not anything they need to take care of or worry about as there's always a fine or penalty they can impose if their wish list isn't fully met.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Skexis wrote:They'll have a job if it's being used as a layover zone.

It would appear, once again, that buses are the last thing considered by anyone involved in planning road infrastructure. We're always being told we can't do this or we can't layover there and it's getting pretty boring. Just for once I'd like to see buses given priority in something. There again the Govt don't give a crap as we're privatised and therefore not anything they need to take care of or worry about as there's always a fine or penalty they can impose if their wish list isn't fully met.
The train substitute timetables are a reflection of this. Nearly 15 minutes spent sitting stops on night time H1s. Laziness in my opinion.

It's even worse when you're on a V2 CB80 with that ear piercingly loud next stop tone.
mmosca447
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Post by mmosca447 »

TA3001 wrote:
Skexis wrote:They'll have a job if it's being used as a layover zone.

The train substitute timetables are a reflection of this. Nearly 15 minutes spent sitting stops on night time H1s. Laziness in my opinion.

It's even worse when you're on a V2 CB80 with that ear piercingly loud next stop tone.
Do you mean a louder version of the CB80 Series 1 (and most of the AdMet fleet) chime or the new kind of song-like chime?
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

TA3001 wrote:The train substitute timetables are a reflection of this. Nearly 15 minutes spent sitting stops on night time H1s. Laziness in my opinion.
Same with the ML1/ML2 trips - run horribly late during the peak and then run early, sitting at most timepoints, at night or early morning.

Why do rail sub trips have the same travel times from morning to night, with no busy or quiet time variations? It's almost like the timetables are put together by a train timetabler who doesn't understand there are traffic variations on the road that affect buses.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

mmosca447 wrote:
Do you mean a louder version of the CB80 Series 1 (and most of the AdMet fleet) chime or the new kind of song-like chime?
The one on the V2 ones. It's like they've upped the volume as I don't remember it being this loud when these lovelies entered service initially.

And before someone criticises this comment in the belief that it needs to he extremely loud, Volgren have gotten away with a ding in at least some of their low floor bodies, and they haven't been defected over this lol.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

There is a new traffic light sequence at Brighton Rd/Jetty Rd, Glenelg. Appears to be longer greens for Brighton Rd but doesn't seem to be helping trams as Jetty Rd only has very short green lights. The pedestrian greens to cross Brighton Rd have changed as well.

Previously a nice long green would clear most Jetty Rd traffic each cycle but now I've seen trams take 3-4 cycles to get from Gordon St just to reach Brighton Rd, and not even in the busiest times! I wonder if tram on-time running performance will suffer as a result? It's not looking good so far.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Eagle Eye wrote:There is a new traffic light sequence at Brighton Rd/Jetty Rd, Glenelg. Appears to be longer greens for Brighton Rd but doesn't seem to be helping trams as Jetty Rd only has very short green lights. The pedestrian greens to cross Brighton Rd have changed as well.

Previously a nice long green would clear most Jetty Rd traffic each cycle but now I've seen trams take 3-4 cycles to get from Gordon St just to reach Brighton Rd, and not even in the busiest times! I wonder if tram on-time running performance will suffer as a result? It's not looking good so far.
Seems to me that all traffic lights that the Glenelg-Entertainment Centre pass through do not give priority to trams. That plus several speed restrictions(TSR) slow the service down.
If some or all of these problems were to be eliminated, travelling time between the 2 destinations could be up to 5 minutes quicker.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

jibb wrote: Seems to me that all traffic lights that the Glenelg-Entertainment Centre pass through do not give priority to trams. That plus several speed restrictions(TSR) slow the service down.
If some or all of these problems were to be eliminated, travelling time between the 2 destinations could be up to 5 minutes quicker.
And would the DPTI update the timetable to reflect this? With the amount of penny pinching that is known to occur, I doubt it would seen as having any value compared to the cost of reprinting the timetables.

It's annoying being on a tram sitting on 30kph due to the timetable being too loose. The train timetables seem to be designed with fast services in mind, so why not buses and trams?

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”