[Nov/Dec 2017] SA Transport observations

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

[Nov/Dec 2017] SA Transport observations

Post by The Phonj »

With only two months of the year left (where has the year gone?!?), welcome to November. The Credit Union Christmas Pageant is held on Saturday, 18 November - with additional working of bus, train and tram services, and detours and short workings for City services.

Train replacement buses on Outer Harbor/Grange lines continue until early December (ref Adelaide Metro website http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announc ... ember-2017).

The cruise ship season has started; Voyager of the Seas visited Adelaide on 1 November with additional buses provided to ferry passengers to Adelaide (in lieu of the train as is normal). Owing to the number of buses required; a number of midi buses were returned to traffic for the day along with some 'R' artics being borrowed by Torrens from both Southlink and Light-City Buses. 1963 was spotted in traffic on this day, running out of Mile End. Could this mark the beginning of the end of the venerable CNG SL202's?

In reflection this year; it has been a busy year. Scania K360/Custom Coaches CB80 deliveries have continued, with the Government initiating a tender for the provision of 400 buses over 10 years. By my calculations, this contract would at its conclusion mark the retirement of all remaining MAN buses in traffic. The last of the MAN SL202 diesels have almost been retired, catch them while you can!

The Outer Harbor and Grange lines closed in January for construction of the rail bridge over South Rd, The Outer Harbor, Grange and Gawler lines closed in April for preliminary work on the Torrens Junction project, and the Outer Harbor/Grange lines have been closed since late September (along with the Gawler over the school holidays) for more work on Torrens Junction. The O-Bahn tunnel is just about finished; trials have taken place with opening set for later this year. Tram lines have been laid in King William Rd and North Tce for tram extensions scheduled to open early next year.

Upcoming projects would be the extension of the Tonsley line to Flinders, the reconstruction of the line to Port Adelaide (Railway museum), Gawler electrification and Oaklands crossing.

I wonder what excitement awaits us next year, it may be a very different political landscape this time next year.

Post your observations regarding South Australian transport observations that wouldn't seem to warrant their own thread here.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
mmosca447
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Re: [Nov/Dec 2017] SA Transport observations

Post by mmosca447 »

The Phonj wrote:With only two months of the year left (where has the year gone?!?), welcome to November. The Credit Union Christmas Pageant is held on Saturday, 18 November - with additional working of bus, train and tram services, and detours and short workings for City services.

Train replacement buses on Outer Harbor/Grange lines continue until early December (ref Adelaide Metro website http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announc ... ember-2017).

The cruise ship season has started; Voyager of the Seas visited Adelaide on 1 November with additional buses provided to ferry passengers to Adelaide (in lieu of the train as is normal). Owing to the number of buses required; a number of midi buses were returned to traffic for the day along with some 'R' artics being borrowed by Torrens from both Southlink and Light-City Buses. 1963 was spotted in traffic on this day, running out of Mile End. Could this mark the beginning of the end of the venerable CNG SL202's?

In reflection this year; it has been a busy year. Scania K360/Custom Coaches CB80 deliveries have continued, with the Government initiating a tender for the provision of 400 buses over 10 years. By my calculations, this contract would at its conclusion mark the retirement of all remaining MAN buses in traffic. The last of the MAN SL202 diesels have almost been retired, catch them while you can!

The Outer Harbor and Grange lines closed in January for construction of the rail bridge over South Rd, The Outer Harbor, Grange and Gawler lines closed in April for preliminary work on the Torrens Junction project, and the Outer Harbor/Grange lines have been closed since late September (along with the Gawler over the school holidays) for more work on Torrens Junction. The O-Bahn tunnel is just about finished; trials have taken place with opening set for later this year. Tram lines have been laid in King William Rd and North Tce for tram extensions scheduled to open early next year.

Upcoming projects would be the extension of the Tonsley line to Flinders, the reconstruction of the line to Port Adelaide (Railway museum), Gawler electrification and Oaklands crossing.

I wonder what excitement awaits us next year, it may be a very different political landscape this time next year.

Post your observations regarding South Australian transport observations that wouldn't seem to warrant their own thread here.
Great detail once again! Looking forward to seeing what the next couple of months has in store in the transport world. Perhaps even some major timetable changes?
jibb

Post by jibb »

Also when the new O-Bahn tunnel opens we will see a complete rearrangement of Grenfell and Currie Streets bus stops(with a reduction of 3)and the addition of new Digital Bus stop plinths showing "real-time" arrivals.
As well as this there will be the closure of Clarendon and Currie Streets layover zones.
coach driver 1981

Post by coach driver 1981 »

jibb wrote:Also when the new O-Bahn tunnel opens we will see a complete rearrangement of Grenfell and Currie Streets bus stops(with a reduction of 3)and the addition of new Digital Bus stop plinths showing "real-time" arrivals.
As well as this there will be the closure of Clarendon and Currie Streets layover zones.
where will LCB buses turn around to do there down trips and have meal breaks??
Norman
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Norman »

coach driver 1981 wrote:
jibb wrote:Also when the new O-Bahn tunnel opens we will see a complete rearrangement of Grenfell and Currie Streets bus stops(with a reduction of 3)and the addition of new Digital Bus stop plinths showing "real-time" arrivals.
Buses can be turned by going around the block (like the C1 does now). Layovers can be done at the new layover zone next to the Colonel Light Hotel or at the new area in Mile End.
jibb

Post by jibb »

I checked out the Mile End site this week and there is nothing other than lots of dirt-may be DPTI have had a change of heart?
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Mile End washing machine on wheels 1308 is smelling of bad breath at the moment. It's not the first Iveco I've ended up on that has had this smell.

Has anyone noticed it, ahem a whole bus wreaking of it. What causes it?
Last edited by TA3001 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

Whilst waiting for my bus this morning which is often a CNG SL202, I had the pleasant surprise of SL202 Diesel 444 arriving. A lucky break given the few remaining SL202 diesels, and with 443 gone last week, it was probably the last trip I'll get on one! It still seemed to be running as well as ever!
TA3001 wrote:Mile End washing machine on wheels 1308 is smelling of bad breath at the moment. It's not the first Iveco I've ended uppn that has had this smell.

Has anyone noticed it, ahem a whole bus wreaking of it. What causes it?
I usually one or two of the Iveco buses each week and haven't been unfortunate enough to experience it yet. Hopefully it's not going to be a trend as I quite like those buses!
Now Running Express - Next Stop: City
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Never thought I'd be writing a post like this, but two BCI midis in Adelaide Metro colours have been spotted heading down the South Eastern Freeway towards Adelaide...
jibb

Post by jibb »

Further Bus testing of the O-Bahn tunnel began yesterday,can't be too long before bus driver training begins,as the tunnel is due to open in next 4-5 weeks.
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

I saw TT bus 1964 in traffic today on a H21 to the City. Will this signal the end for a CNG SL202?
jibb

Post by jibb »

Scania CB 80 1965 entered service from Mile End Depot this afternoon-this makes 4 new Scanias that have entered service with Torrens Transit over the last week.
jibb

Post by jibb »

coach driver 1981 wrote:
DPTI has land set aside on Railway Terrace Mile End(opposite Homemaker Centre)-which at the moment is dirt.
Supposedly O-Bahn buses(not returning to the Depot or running Special to another terminus) will go to this location to layover/turn around.Southlink buses that layover in Franklin Street (near Bus Station) and those that park at Torrens Transits Mile End Depot will also use this location.
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

I am pleased the tunnel will be done soon.what will that mean for timetables for the new year?
jibb

Post by jibb »

Adelaide Metro will provide free Public Transport next Saturday for the Christmas Pageant on all Bus,Train and Tram services up to 200 pm.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Overhead Tram power line snapped on Port Road near West Terrace just after 130pm today-Outer Harbour sub buses are being used to transport tram passengers between Entertainment Centre and Adelaide Railway Station.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

The overhead cable is actually down at the corner of George Street and Port Road, by Metro Holden. Lots of extra shuttlebuses from Torrens being used to transport tram passengers as well as the train sub buses and the 150, 157, 117, 118 etc buses at Port Road. All heavily loaded because it occurred a while before the start of the International football match at Adelaide Oval.
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

what we are seeing a lot of at the moment are those new light city buses numbered in the 1827-1829 range.any idea what services they will be used on and will they be equipped anytime for use on the o'bahn as well as normal services.it sucks for the most part with lcb we if really unlucky get stuck with the ex serco mobiles many of which first saw light of day way back in 1997.
jibb

Post by jibb »

are currently operating on all Light-City-Buses routes.Whether they will be converted to O-Bahn use is unknown.
Supposedly when the new O_Bahn timetables start they supposedly require additional buses.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

homer9000 wrote:what we are seeing a lot of at the moment are those new light city buses numbered in the 1827-1829 range.any idea what services they will be used on and will they be equipped anytime for use on the o'bahn as well as normal services.it sucks for the most part with lcb we if really unlucky get stuck with the ex serco mobiles many of which first saw light of day way back in 1997.
I had an opportunity to ride 1829 through the city once, and I actually waited for the next bus instead (2857), which was far less annoying.

LCB have ex Serco NL202s, but these are only out on weekdays, excluding the odd occasion. Don't forget that there are some 1993 vehicles in service at St Agnes.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Seems like security officers have been stationed on Maxwell Tce outside Glengowrie Depot day and night for at least a week now. There's also a large umbrella to provide some relief from the hot weather. I wonder if there are issues with the automatic gate or the traffic signals? There are a lot of vehicles that run red signals outside the depot.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Details of Torrens Transit and Light City Buses Christmas Pageant arrangements including additional services prior to the Pageant are shown on the Adelaide Metro website.
No deails yet of additional rail services.No tram timetables for extra services.
All 3 contract areas for Southlink are not available,other than additional services will 'Operate on demand" which is pretty poor!
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

1965 bus (Scania CB80 rego SB73NH), from Mile End depot, on the road in service this morning.
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

1601 and 892 from Mile End have been appearing on Camden Park's shifts lately. 1679 from Newton also seems to still be there after about a month or more. Are the extra buses there so they can spare more low floors for train subs?
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
gunzel42

Post by gunzel42 »

Buses are again being stabled at the yard on the south-west corner of Sir Donald Bradman Drive and James Congdon Drive, in the yard recently frequented by Fulton Hogan until their move to Railway Terrace.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”