New O-bahn Tunnel

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Tim Williams

New O-bahn Tunnel

Post by Tim Williams »

Will the the roadway in the new tunnel be "standard road" or the specific O-bahn track?? If it is a standard road, then I am sure that some sort of entry restriction would need to be installed to ensure only O-bahn buses enter the tunnel.

And I have heard a comment that only a certain number of buses will be allowed in the tunnel section at any one time and that the restriction will be severe and as a result buses might finish up queueing to enter the tunnel at rush hour times, thus negating the so called 4 minute time saving as claimed by the politicians!
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Re: New O-bahn Tunnel

Post by The Phonj »

Certainly based on my passing observations; the tunnel appears to be guided although not constructed with the track and sleeper method as used from Park Tce to TTP; the roadways in the tunnels have kerbs on either side of the lane for each direction which look to be just the width of the bus.

There have been poles with what look to be traffic lights (red and amber aspects) erected at the Grenfell St end of the tunnel (I don't get down Hackney Rd much), possibly confirming your second comment.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Thanks for the reply, I do hope that if bus numbers in the tunnel are restricted, sufficient numbers are allowed so as not to create hold ups.
Westside

Post by Westside »

Tim Williams wrote:And I have heard a comment that only a certain number of buses will be allowed in the tunnel section at any one time and that the restriction will be severe and as a result buses might finish up queueing to enter the tunnel at rush hour times, thus negating the so called 4 minute time saving as claimed by the politicians!
Did you hear this from an AdelaideNow comment?

I can only speculate as I don't have any more info than you but I'd suggest there would be similar minimum distances that must be adhered to as there already is on the rest of the o-bahn. This may be increased, due to the lower line of sight in the tunnel, but the speed would probably be lower, so I'd say that's a moot point.
The good stuff is above!
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

No, I did not get this from Adelaide Now, it is a comment that has been floating around, but traffic lights at the Grenfell St. entrance (and may be the Hackney Road entrance) do suggest that restrictions of bus numbers will happen.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”