gawler 5000 class

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Madbus
Favourite Vehicle: A-City 4000 class railcar

gawler 5000 class

Post by Madbus »

I have heard that they will start electrifying the gawler line in early 2018. I have so many questions to ask about it. If you can, please answer any the following:

* will they make a new train design for the gawler line?
* how long will it take to build it?
* will they just make more 4000 class A-cities for it?
* will they start building it in February or or later?
* how many railcars would a single train have?
* if they make another model of train, what will it be called?
CB80S RULE the world
PD2/20

Re: gawler 5000 class

Post by PD2/20 »

bus and train boffin wrote:I have heard that they will start electrifying the gawler line in early 2018. I have so many questions to ask about it. If you can, please answer any the following:

The immediate plans are for City - Dry Creek - Salisbury. Since the track was completely renewed several years ago, the work involved will be the mast and overhead installation, substation construction and signal immunisation work. The Salisbury service will require about 4 or 5 units which can be met from the existing 4000 fleet.

The 3 car formation of the 4000s permits a convenient distribution of electrical equipment with the HV transformer and switchgear on the trailer and motor drive units on the 2 motor cars. Platform lengths on the Gawler line particularly at Mawson Lakes would limit trains to 4 cars.

The closure last weekend included the construction of concrete foundations for steel gantry masts at North Adelaide. Also Islington Station looks as if it is being upgraded. A platform shelter has just been relocated and platform survey work took place this week.
Madbus

Post by Madbus »

PD2/20 wrote:
bus and train boffin wrote:I have heard that they will start electrifying the gawler line in early 2018. I have so many questions to ask about it. If you can, please answer any the following:

The immediate plans are for City - Dry Creek - Salisbury. Since the track was completely renewed several years ago, the work involved will be the mast and overhead installation, substation construction and signal immunisation work. The Salisbury service will require about 4 or 5 units which can be met from the existing 4000 fleet.

The 3 car formation of the 4000s permits a convenient distribution of electrical equipment with the HV transformer and switchgear on the trailer and motor drive units on the 2 motor cars. Platform lengths on the Gawler line particularly at Mawson Lakes would limit trains to 4 cars.

The closure last weekend included the construction of concrete foundations for steel gantry masts at North Adelaide. Also Islington Station looks as if it is being upgraded. A platform shelter has just been relocated and platform survey work took place this week.
what do you mean by units?
CB80S RULE the world
PD2/20

Post by PD2/20 »

bus and train boffin wrote:
PD2/20 wrote: ...

what do you mean by units?
I guess I used unit in two different ways assuming context would resolve the meaning.

'4 or 5 units': unit as in electric multiple unit. The 4000s are permanent coupled in 3 car sets or units, there being 22 units in the fleet.

'motor drive units': the electronic modules which generate variable frequency, variable voltage power for the AC traction motors. Equipment on the trailer car converts the 25kV AC supply into DC at about 1000 volts which is fed to the motor drive units on the motor cars.
Madbus

Post by Madbus »

Ok, thanks. :)
CB80S RULE the world
Madbus

Post by Madbus »

anything else everyone?
CB80S RULE the world