O-Bahn upgrades

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
soak01

Re: O-Bahn upgrades

Post by soak01 »

jibb wrote:Sydney have Pre-Pay on many of their peak-hour services to speed them up-maybe they need to look at introducing this on the O-O-Bahn?
Definitely would like to see this in the City and at Klemzig, Paradise and TTP Interchanges. It's also amazing how many people line up to board and then decide to look for their metrocard when they get to the validator :x

With the roll-out of all door boarding and possible hold-ups at the interchanges with people trying to get on and off at the same time, would it be better if Zones A & E at TTP, Zones A & D at Paradise and new Zones at Klemzig were set-down only with the bus then moving on to a designated Zone for pick-up. Also all outbound buses ex-city should be pick-up only between Currie St and Klemzig and set-down only on inbound journeys.

I think the schedulers also need to have a look at the timing of C1 and C1T services in the pm as its amazing how many times I see a C1T usually an artic running empty right behind a C1. Maybe all C1's should run express between the City and TTP and a new C3 being all stops.
jibb

Post by jibb »

There has been some talk of simplifying Bus Route numbers on O-Bahn services when the new tunnel opens later this year-remains to be seen whether DTPI decide to do something(they are like the Minister -not keen on change!).
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

So does this mean that the 541 will become the G41, with the 545 becoming G45/G45T etc? What do 'they' mean by the definition of simplify? Inventing more stupid route names will just make the system worse. The Goodwood road G10/G20 services make no sense really.

The B10 and H20/H30 aren't as weird, but considering the drivers have to update the BCU anyway when they reach the first stop on the route, it would be more logical to revert to the older names such as 137, 113 etc. I know that the desto is separate, but it still makes sense.

The current C1 and C2 could just become the T530 and T531, with the M44 reverting back to 544 and 243. With the current RAH closing soon, there wouldn't be as big a need to have the current M44 serve North Tce. I would expect stops W4 and C1/Y1 to become a tiny bit busier when the new RAH becomes fully operational.

Nonetheless, just my 2c worth.
jibb

Post by jibb »

It would be worthwhile to introduce a new service from TTP to Grenfell Street, Pulteney Street and North Terrace-terminating opposite new RAH.(it could then run NIS to Clarendon Street terminus).
Buses back to TTP could then run reverse of above, starting at new RAH. A 15 minute weekday service between 7am and 7pm,then perhaps 30 minutes till 11pm.
Weekends could be 30 minutes 800am to 1100pm.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

soak01 wrote:
jibb wrote:Sydney have Pre-Pay on many of their peak-hour services to speed them up-maybe they need to look at introducing this on the O-O-Bahn?
Definitely would like to see this in the City and at Klemzig, Paradise and TTP Interchanges. It's also amazing how many people line up to board and then decide to look for their metrocard when they get to the validator :x

With the roll-out of all door boarding and possible hold-ups at the interchanges with people trying to get on and off at the same time, would it be better if Zones A & E at TTP, Zones A & D at Paradise and new Zones at Klemzig were set-down only with the bus then moving on to a designated Zone for pick-up. Also all outbound buses ex-city should be pick-up only between Currie St and Klemzig and set-down only on inbound journeys.
People get off first then get on, like with a tram or train, what's the hold-up? It's much faster and distributes people inside the bus better than people getting off, then only being able to get on through the front door. Would you apply your idea to the Adelaide trams? Probably not, so why apply it to the buses?

How many in Adelaide still have no Metrocards and need to interact with the driver? It must be a very small number nowadays.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

tonyp wrote:
How many in Adelaide still have no Metrocards and need to interact with the driver? It must be a very small number nowadays.
From my obs, way too many. At least 1 in 10 passengers still seem to buy 2 hour tickets. There are some services in Sydney which are prepaid only, which is ridiculous if there is any intention of increasing patronage numbers.

Seems like you can't just turn up at the nearest stop, wait for a bus to come along, and grab a ticket and sit down.
PD2/20

Post by PD2/20 »

TA3001 wrote:
tonyp wrote:
From my obs, way too many. At least 1 in 10 passengers still seem to buy 2 hour tickets. There are some services in Sydney which are prepaid only, which is ridiculous if there is any intention of increasing patronage numbers.

Seems like you can't just turn up at the nearest stop, wait for a bus to come along, and grab a ticket and sit down.
As far as I can gather where there are prepaid services in Sydney there are also non-prepaid services along these routes, so an alternative is offered.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

In Melbourne you can't buy a ticket on board any bus. You must have a Myki before you travel. Any public transport smart card should be treated like any other credit/debit card nearly everyone has, i.e. you have one with credit on so it's always ready to go when you need it. It's only a once-off investment of $5 and travel is cheaper than buying single tickets even for infrequent travellers. There should be more of a push to increase MetroCard use and decrease cash fares.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Just add a daily cap, equivalent to the value of a daytrip, and MetroCard would be even better...
paulgersche

Post by paulgersche »

Eagle Eye wrote:In Melbourne you can't buy a ticket on board any bus. You must have a Myki before you travel.
True, but you are still able to "top up" your MYKI on the bus by payment to the driver...
jibb

Post by jibb »

It was announced tonight that the Government will allocate $15 million for a new Park,N Ride at Klemzig as well as additional parking at Tea Tree Plaza.
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Post by howlerbus »

Eagle Eye wrote:In Melbourne you can't buy a ticket on board any bus. You must have a Myki before you travel. Any public transport smart card should be treated like any other credit/debit card nearly everyone has, i.e. you have one with credit on so it's always ready to go when you need it. It's only a once-off investment of $5 and travel is cheaper than buying single tickets even for infrequent travellers. There should be more of a push to increase MetroCard use and decrease cash fares.
You can buy Myki on board buses, however.
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

jibb wrote:It was announced tonight that the Government will allocate $15 million for a new Park,N Ride at Klemzig as well as additional parking at Tea Tree Plaza.
Does the government not realise that Paradise Interchange exists between these two locations? :roll:
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

jibb wrote:It was announced tonight that the Government will allocate $15 million for a new Park,N Ride at Klemzig as well as additional parking at Tea Tree Plaza.
I have seen many motorists make their own carpark because of lack of carparks at Paradise Interchange and Golden Grove ParkNRide.

By the way would it be more clever to start 591s from Golden Grove Park & Ride rather than Golden Grove Village in peak hour?
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Eagle Eye wrote:
Does the government not realise that Paradise Interchange exists between these two locations? :roll:
It's ok, people can just keep parking on Sudholz/Darley Rd like they do now...
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

Does the government not realise that Paradise Interchange exists between these two locations? :roll:[/quote]

It's ok, people can just keep parking on Sudholz/Darley Rd like they do now...[/quote]

This is good for Klemzig users but Paradise Interchange is screaming out for a Park N Ride. Surely! I would encourage any Government officials to come and see what the Interchange's overcrowded car park is like, along with Sudholz/Darley Road losing a lane each way to parking.

Seeing as a lot more feeder services also use Paradise it would surely make more sense for a Park N Ride there first? :oops:
jibb

Post by jibb »

New way-finding signs are currently being installed at the 3 O-Bahn Interchanges, part of the upgrade and rebranding of the O-Bahn.
These signs will have the Interchange layout showing where each route departs, map of Interchange showing roads and car parks, where to find toilets, ticket machines and other amenities.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Is it too expensive to just restore the original boards with the list of routes on them? Those pieces of paper saying' Zone' (whatever) are the most useless pieces of 'information I've ever seen at a bus stop.
UNV

Post by UNV »

1274 has been equipped with another card validator at its middle door.
jibb

Post by jibb »

UNV wrote:1274 has been equipped with another card validator at its middle door.
It was at Custom Coaches this week,so probably had it installed there.1448 was also there,both for a short time.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

I have seen many motorists make their own carpark because of lack of carparks at Paradise Interchange and Golden Grove ParkNRide.

By the way would it be more clever to start 591s from Golden Grove Park & Ride rather than Golden Grove Village in peak hour?[/quote]

Part of me agrees with starting the 591 at the GG Park and Ride.

But, as the C2X does not service Golden Grove Village, you are taking away access from the shops to Greenwith in peak times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Maybe a solution would be to have the 591 still start from Golden Grove Village; but route it via The Golden Way, Surrey Farm Dr and The Grove Way to access the Golden Gove Park 'n Ride.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
UNV

Post by UNV »

Hi there,
I got on 1130 several times in recent days coincidentally , but realized the noise inside was slightly different from other obahn buses, so I turned on the GPS on my phone and got really shocked, it could run nearly 100 km/h on the tracks (even up to 106 km/h when doing an inbound trip) . We know the obahn has been limited to 85 km/h for years, 88 km/h or so may be normal, but 100 :shock: ...
Is this part of a trial to increase the speed limit of obahn (a guesss) or just the driver's issue? Or maybe 1130's engine is better (never heard before)?
Does anyone know anything about this?
Anyway, I enjoyed those trips on 1130.

Many thanks.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

I can usually tell by the revs roughly what speed a bus is doing. Nonetheless, from my obs, 1123 seems to stay in fourth gear for some reason, and as a result it on only gets up to about 74kph or something.

The speed limit on the O'bahn is now only 90kph, so if it got to 100+kph, the driver would have had to have been speeding.
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

1426 now has a rear door validator too
Now Running Express - Next Stop: City

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”