[Jan/Feb 2017] SA Transport observations

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

[Jan/Feb 2017] SA Transport observations

Post by The Phonj »

A new year is upon us; cast off the shackles of 2016 and embrace the new 2017! Or not, it's entirely up to you.

The last year has seen the last midis operate for Torrens Transit and Southlink; with Light City Buses slowly retiring theirs now. The withdrawal of the venerable MAN SL202 has commenced; with the delivery of new Scania K320UB/Custom Coaches CB80 units to Torrens Transit's Port depot and Light City Buses' Morphettville depot.

In an unexpected move; Australian bus manufacturer Bustech have opened a plant in Adelaide's northern suburbs in association with local automotive component manufacturer Precision Components. I wonder if this will see a change in bus procurement in Adelaide; away from Custom Coaches.

In an interesting twist (to previous years); Adelaide Metro have commenced operating AO services to all major events at Adelaide Oval with free public transport travel included in the price of the admission ticket. Hopefully this will continue for many years to come; encouraging people to keep the car at home for these occasions.

Works associated with the erection of a railway bridge over South Rd as part of the "Torrens to Torrens" project require the Outer Harbor and Grange lines to be closed from 2 January; refer to the Adelaide Metro website for full information including timetables.

Timetable changes are mooted for January - refer to this thread for more details: http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... =6&t=83483

It's the beginning of the "event season" - the Tour Down Under later this month; with the Fringe Festival, Festival of Arts and Clipsal 500 among other events slated before the end of March.

So, post your South Australian transport observations here that wouldn't seem to warrant their own thread.

I hope that all have a prosperous and happy new year for this 2017!
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Re: [Jan/Feb 2017] SA Transport observations

Post by TT »

1318 back on the road in service this morning after several months off the road.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

2 artics (including 3331) and a 14.5m bus from Hills depots are parked at Torrens Transit Mile End today. Strange for that to happen during school holidays.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
jibb

Post by jibb »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:2 artics (including 3331) and a 14.5m bus from Hills depots are parked at Torrens Transit Mile End today. Strange for that to happen during school holidays.
Hills Artics use Mile End(TT) depot during weekday off-peak hours to save buses returning to Aldgate Depot.
Hawkeye
Favourite Vehicle: Any well designed bus!

Post by Hawkeye »

jibb wrote:
Lt. Commander Data wrote:2 artics (including 3331) and a 14.5m bus from Hills depots are parked at Torrens Transit Mile End today. Strange for that to happen during school holidays.
Hills Artics use Mile End(TT) depot during weekday off-peak hours to save buses returning to Aldgate Depot.
That's what I thought. I remember (going back a few years now) when I went there in about 2014 (I think) and there were some of their CB80 artics and 14.5m's parked to the far side.
Lt. Commander Data

I know that, but normally in school holidays all buses not returning to depot go to Franklin Street, or occasionally the south parklands. Most of the buses that go to Mile End during school days are on school runs, hence my observation that it was unusual to see this during school holidays.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:I know that, but normally in school holidays all buses not returning to depot go to Franklin Street, or occasionally the south parklands. Most of the buses that go to Mile End during school days are on school runs, hence my observation that it was unusual to see this during school holidays.
Ahh I got you now, what you said makes sense and I understand why you mentioned it. You would know from my many pics, that there were often buses from the Hills in Franklin Street!

Still more to come hehe ;)
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:I know that, but normally in school holidays all buses not returning to depot go to Franklin Street, or occasionally the south parklands. Most of the buses that go to Mile End during school days are on school runs, hence my observation that it was unusual to see this during school holidays.
Whereabouts in the south parklands?
Lt. Commander Data

Sometimes I'll see an artic parked on Glen Osmond Road facing Notth West, between Greenhill and Hutt Roads. Doesn't happen all the time though.
transenthusiast

Post by transenthusiast »

jibb wrote:
Lonsdale artics are quite often parked at Mile End during the off peak too
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Can't fit artics in Franklin St.
Lt. Commander Data

Skexis wrote:Can't fit artics in Franklin St.
Not always true. Well, if you can call this 'fitting:'
2856 in Franklin St bus park on the 13th of July 2016
2856 in Franklin St bus park on the 13th of July 2016
DSC_0303.JPG (82.41 KiB) Viewed 7856 times
Bodø Glimt

Post by Bodø Glimt »

Skexis wrote:Can't fit artics in Franklin St.
I took one in just before christmas.
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

1360 was out on a 196F today, so I guess it's no longer restricted to shuttle services despite not being in any AdMet livery. The 1350s are on J1s and other regular services regularly now, but seeing 1360 in the city was a new one for me.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Diesel_MAN wrote:1360 was out on a 196F today, so I guess it's no longer restricted to shuttle services despite not being in any AdMet livery. The 1350s are on J1s and other regular services regularly now, but seeing 1360 in the city was a new one for me.
Perhaps this is an exception for the train sub period? We'll have to wait and see if they appear out in normal service again, once the train subs have finished :)
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Ok, not fit in a tidy fashion :p
TT

Post by TT »

The afternoon 195F and 196F services that are done from Mile End have often been ex-Darwin MANs and Volvos for the past few weeks so I don't think anything to do with train subs.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

TT wrote:The afternoon 195F and 196F services that are done from Mile End have often been ex-Darwin MANs and Volvos for the past few weeks so I don't think anything to do with train subs.
The non-Admet coloured ones included? The beige ex Darwin buses seem to be a first though, that's what we're wondering :P
TT

Post by TT »

Not sure about that: I've seen them as I've been doing 190 up trips and have spotted that they're ex Darwin buses but haven't really looked at the livery. Remember a few years ago when we had many double blue and all-over white Ivecos (and 3 double blue Volvos) being used daily in regular service (even though primarily here for Belair rail subs). And the all over white ones only got painted in RedMet about 6 months ago. And there's hills buses still not in AdMet livery (I think they're still so?). So not sure if there's any hard and fast rules about all buses being in AdMet livery.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

TT wrote:Not sure about that: I've seen them as I've been doing 190 up trips and have spotted that they're ex Darwin buses but haven't really looked at the livery. Remember a few years ago when we had many double blue and all-over white Ivecos (and 3 double blue Volvos) being used daily in regular service (even though primarily here for Belair rail subs). And the all over white ones only got painted in RedMet about 6 months ago. And there's hills buses still not in AdMet livery (I think they're still so?). So not sure if there's any hard and fast rules about all buses being in AdMet livery.
Yeah, I remember that too. The Iveco's in the TNSW pale blue/white, the Volvo's in the other blue variant and then some white ones. Not too sure what the rules are there then...

In relation to the buses in the hills that aren't in the Admet livery, there are 3 as it stands (3310, 3311 and 3270). Technically speaking, they are. It's just the old hills colours, it suits them quite well IMO :mrgreen:
jibb

Post by jibb »

New addition to Light-City Buses fleet is Scania CB80 1826-reg no SB 76MG.
Lt. Commander Data

When looking for the current fare prices on the AdMet website today, I noticed they finally put up the country fares. Before, there was no way of finding out other than phoning Aldgate depot. Now it is much easier for everyone, and you can look at all the different prices for different trips.

AdMet website info: http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Tickets ... de%20Hills
Country fare scale (PDF): http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/content ... uly+16.pdf
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Fleetlists have been updated again (as of last night). Minor vehicle locations and a few other things corrected, and the SG's have now been removed from the SL list. Sad but true.. :cry:

Also, a whole bunch of private operators have been updated as well. Companies such as - Adelaide Coachlines, Buses 'R' Us, Grant's Coach Lines and Willunga Charter. Certainly been busy! 8)
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Hawkeye wrote:Yeah, I remember that too. The Iveco's in the TNSW pale blue/white
Those TNSW liveried Ivecos were originally supposed to come across to Transit Systems Sydney for the Transport NSW metro region 3 contract but Transit Systems Australia ended up keeping them in Adelaide
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Someone has reported elsewhere, that they believe they saw our first Optimus parked at Volvo on Grand Junction Rd.
They didn't get a good look at it, but the description was 'standard admet v2 colours, looked like 1901 but without the connector livery'.

If this is the case, I don't think I can be holding onto my seat for much longer! Sorry my beloved CB80's, but you may soon be replaced.. :cry:

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”