Photo

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Skexis

Re: Photo

Post by Skexis »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:A driver friend of mine (well known enthusiast from Aldgate) says you can pretty much put any number in and something will come up. Last night while laying over, he had "Fairy and Clown Shuttle" showing on 3201!
You'll hit more "Bad Destination" messages than anything else. Bear in mind there are 9999 possible entries on most bus destos (some now have 5 figure options rather than just 4) whereas at a guess I'd say there are only an absolute max of a few hundred or so entered into any one contractors system e.g. Light City won't have either Torrens or Southlink codes. As such each bus is going to have massive gaps in the desto programming.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

TA3001 wrote:
Lt. Commander Data wrote:
A driver friend of mine (well known enthusiast from Aldgate) says you can pretty much put any number in and something will come up. Last night while laying over, he had "Fairy and Clown Shuttle" showing on 3201!
Sounds interesting. Did you get a photo of it? It'd be cool to see.
I only saw a picture on his Instagram, so I don't actually have a photo. It was on the 861 night shift, so not too many people. It would be a really cool photo though.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Lt. Commander Data

Skexis wrote:
Lt. Commander Data wrote:A driver friend of mine (well known enthusiast from Aldgate) says you can pretty much put any number in and something will come up. Last night while laying over, he had "Fairy and Clown Shuttle" showing on 3201!
You'll hit more "Bad Destination" messages than anything else. Bear in mind there are 9999 possible entries on most bus destos (some now have 5 figure options rather than just 4) whereas at a guess I'd say there are only an absolute max of a few hundred or so entered into any one contractors system e.g. Light City won't have either Torrens or Southlink codes. As such each bus is going to have massive gaps in the desto programming.

Wasn't aware that there were 5-digit codes now. I wonder if there are any old routes still in the system (I'd like to see an 862 desto)?
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

I don't think there are any five figure codes as such - it's just that a few destos have space for five rather than just the usual four. The leading number is always a zero in these instances.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

I have pics somewhere of a TP-livery Scania showing stuff like T721X, 415V and 21W, I'll have to dig them up one day...
Bodø Glimt

Post by Bodø Glimt »

Skexis wrote:I don't think there are any five figure codes as such - it's just that a few destos have space for five rather than just the usual four. The leading number is always a zero in these instances.
I remember taking a photo of this the first time I noticed it. That was january 13th.
Bodø Glimt

Post by Bodø Glimt »

Skexis wrote:
I don't know why but the codes jump in units of three. Southern runs tend to be a multiple of three (ie. 1473 is divisiable by three). Northern runs tend to be a multiple of three plus two (ie. 2705 is 2703+2) so I guess Hills runs are multiples of three plus one.

I think the system we had when I drove at Brisbane Transport was the best. It was a four digit code, the first three being the route number, the fourth digit was zero if you terminated in the city, one if you terminated in Fortitude Valley and 2~4 for other inbound variations. The major outbound trip would have been five with 6~9 being for other outbound variations.
Adelaide Hills DD
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB Gemilang (3401)

Post by Adelaide Hills DD »

Hills run differently. Any 866 desto is 866X (X been the direction and/or variation eg. 866A/R) But with more main routes like T840, the desto code is 8415.
What even is a bus?
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Bodø Glimt wrote:I don't know why but the codes jump in units of three. Southern runs tend to be a multiple of three (ie. 1473 is divisiable by three). Northern runs tend to be a multiple of three plus two (ie. 2705 is 2703+2) so I guess Hills runs are multiples of three plus one.

I think the system we had when I drove at Brisbane Transport was the best. It was a four digit code, the first three being the route number, the fourth digit was zero if you terminated in the city, one if you terminated in Fortitude Valley and 2~4 for other inbound variations. The major outbound trip would have been five with 6~9 being for other outbound variations.
You'll find that the likely reason that the codes jump in groups of three is related to the STC-Cannon destination equipment used on the Mercedes O305/O305G and some MAN SG280H's. These primitive electronic destinations had one number for each page; so a destination requiring three scrolls would require.... three numbers. While Southlink had none of these buses in 2000; they did get some MAN SG280H's in 2005 when they took over the Outer North contract area; and of course during Noarlunga rail subs in 2011 picked up a swag of Mercs. They would have kept that limitation in programmed destinations while there were still buses with STC destinations potentially available for traffic, especially with the old STA philosophy of any bus being available to perform any route (hence the lack of real destination blinds in buses built new after 1975.

The (simple) Brisbane Transport system as described wouldn't work in the STC destinations owing to a maximum page number of 4095 (IT nerds will realise the significance of this number) however with the equipment available today would be possible: the question remains is it worthwhile to rewrite all destinations for new code numbers across at least three different destination systems or leave it as-is?
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Skexis wrote:What's your guess?
I'd try everything between '8400' and '8404'.
Checked today and we have a winner. 8404 it is.
Lt. Commander Data

Skexis wrote: Checked today and we have a winner. 8404 it is.
Which direction was it heading in?
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Skexis wrote: Checked today and we have a winner. 8404 it is.
Which direction was it heading in?
It wasn't. Just tried the code whilst on layover. Also as per the five figure destos, here are two photos showing one has the ability to have five figure codes whereas the other doesn't, currently anyway. Note the older desto uses USB to program whereas the newer one relies still on a serial port. Odd.
Last edited by Skexis on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Commander Data

Skexis wrote: It wasn't. Just tried the code whilst on layover.
I assumed as much, I was inquiring as to whether it said "CITY/EXPRESS" or "MT BARKER/EXPRESS"?
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

City/Express, desto code 8404
Last edited by Skexis on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Commander Data

Skexis wrote:City/Express
Maybe 8405 is Mt Barker/Express.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Skexis wrote:It wasn't. Just tried the code whilst on layover. Also as per the five figure destos, here are two photos showing one has the ability to have five figure codes whereas the other doesn't, currently anyway. Note the older desto uses USB to program whereas the newer one relies still on a serial port. Odd.
The "Older" desto is actually not original - originally, these were fitted with a DERIC controller with three buttons (and a smaller, difficult to read screen), (and serial port connectivity). At some stage over the last five years, they have been retrofitted with a new DERIC controller; as pictured, with USB connectivity.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Bodø Glimt

Post by Bodø Glimt »

I got snapped at Mawson Lakes today.
Hawkeye
Favourite Vehicle: Any well designed bus!

Post by Hawkeye »

Bodø Glimt wrote:I got snapped at Mawson Lakes today.
Couldn't have been me, although I was out 'n' about around the CBD once again :P
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Wasn't me either. I was on 859 this arvo whilst it was being driven at 40kph.
Bodø Glimt

Post by Bodø Glimt »

I got snapped again yesterday, this time in the CBD. I think he had a Hawthorn shirt on.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Bodø Glimt wrote:I got snapped again yesterday, this time in the CBD. I think he had a Hawthorn shirt on.
Hmm. Matches the underwear of a lot of people on certain routes.
MAN SG280H

Post by MAN SG280H »

The Eric and Deric controllers and the Software call Helen.
Nothing give them name.
I have a copy of the Helen software, not to bad to use.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Its nice when drivers wave, had that a few times in the NT from various drivers.

Whilst in the CBD recently, the driver of the lone B12BLE parked up his bus along Smith St., adjacent the bus station. His vehicle was photographed, naturally. I continued taking photos of other stuff arriving, meanwhile he got out of the bus and stood there watching for a moment. Eventually, he approached me and we had a good conversation :) A non-enthusiast, but no disparaging remarks were made.

Whilst out and about, I've managed to photograph the same driver in one of five B10BLE's numerous times. He must be beginning to wonder what's wrong with me!
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

As an avid photographer I'm of the view that wherever possible you should give the driver a wave when taking pics. That sort of sends the "I'm friendly" message rather than "I might be gunna report you" message. Much of the time you get a return wave.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Bodø Glimt

Post by Bodø Glimt »

1whoknows wrote:As an avid photographer I'm of the view that wherever possible you should give the driver a wave when taking pics. That sort of sends the "I'm friendly" message rather than "I might be gunna report you" message. Much of the time you get a return wave.
I'd be quite happy to wave back. Quite often it happens before you've had time to react though.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”