LinkSA operating Adelaide to Victor Harbor services

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
hillsbus

LinkSA operating Adelaide to Victor Harbor services

Post by hillsbus »

Just saw on the LinkSA website that they're taking over the Adelaide to Victor/Goolwa service from June 27 - www.linksa.com.au

Looks like the same timetable is being used for now as currentlu operates under Premier Stateliner.
coach driver 1981

Re: LinkSA operating Adelaide to Victor Harbor services

Post by coach driver 1981 »

I heard on the rumor file that premiers are no longer doing charter work either and kangas have taken most of it off them and were concertrating on service work? Maybe victor wasnt financially viable anymore either. Wonder which depot the first one from adelaide will depart from? Maybe pooraka?
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Kanga is taking over Premier's charter division from July 1, that was confirmed by Kanga themselves on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/kangakan/posts/985148404894677
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

I wonder what buses they'll use?
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Hawkeye
Favourite Vehicle: Any well designed bus!

Post by Hawkeye »

What's the cause behind all these changes? Have Premier Stateliner mentioned this to the public anywhere? And like Lt said, what buses from their fleet(s) will they be using to cater for these additional services? :)
coach driver 1981

Hawkeye wrote:What's the cause behind all these changes? Have Premier Stateliner mentioned this to the public anywhere? And like Lt said, what buses from their fleet(s) will they be using to cater for these additional services? :)
Maybe there not making enough profit to run charter and victor services things are pretty tough in the industry at the moment not to many people spending money. Hopefully not the end of premiers further down the track
Lt. Commander Data

Premiers still have the really regional services. Mt Gambier via Coast, Mt Gambier via Inland and IIRC and few northern ones as well. LinkSA might even introduce a Mt Barker to Victor service.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Yeah, money is the most likely cause of the changes. Perhaps the Victor services simply aren't making enough profit and is resulting in no profit gain from that specific run (if anything a profit loss due to vehicle running costs etc).

If they continue to loose services (presumably due to costs), they'll have no choice but to shut doors and that will be quite sad to see if it does happen down the track. But they do still have regional services which are regularly used :)
Lt. Commander Data

I'd suggest that there is something in the contract about minimum requirements, so the service will never be completely cut. I may be wrong, but I've always assumed that there's minimum requirements in the contracts.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:I'd suggest that there is something in the contract about minimum requirements, so the service will never be completely cut. I may be wrong, but I've always assumed that there's minimum requirements in the contracts.
Yeah, there would have to be a thing such as minimum requirements. Just like the performance standards with Adelaide Metro, the operators must meet those requirements to sustain that certain area contract.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

What are the chances of LinkSA doing to the Victor services what they've done to the Barossa and Murray Bridge services i.e. most services require you to get an AdMet service to an interchange e.g. Gawler/Mt Barker (or Noarlunga in this case). The positive of this approach is that it seems to lead to an increase in services as has been seen to the Barossa and Murray Bridge in recent years.
Lt. Commander Data

hillsbus wrote:What are the chances of LinkSA doing to the Victor services what they've done to the Barossa and Murray Bridge services i.e. most services require you to get an AdMet service to an interchange e.g. Gawler/Mt Barker (or Noarlunga in this case). The positive of this approach is that it seems to lead to an increase in services as has been seen to the Barossa and Murray Bridge in recent years.
Maybe even a connection to the train in Seaford?
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

Newspaper story on this issue here -

http://www.victorharbortimes.com.au/sto ... e/?cs=1537
coach driver 1981

hillsbus wrote:Newspaper story on this issue here -

Are they going to purchase some cb80s the same as metro? Or transferring some southlink buses to victor? My interpretation of the article is that eventually it could become a metro service
Adelaide Hills DD
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB Gemilang (3401)

Post by Adelaide Hills DD »

It wouldn't become a metro service. It would most likely be run by one of LinkSA's Volvo Coaches for the time been
What even is a bus?
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Post by howlerbus »

They got new BCI school buses to use on the service, I saw one on Monday
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
Lt. Commander Data

coach driver 1981 wrote:
hillsbus wrote:Newspaper story on this issue here -

Are they going to purchase some cb80s the same as metro? Or transferring some southlink buses to victor? My interpretation of the article is that eventually it could become a metro service
It could end up being a metro service in the same way Strathalbyn is - MetroCARD to a boundary stop, then country fares. Maybe even an Interpeak and weekend 851 will be introduced from Mt Barker to Victor...
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

My observations with Premier's Adelaide-Victor Harbor service showed pretty low loadings on aging coaches.I don't think it was a profitable service-shown by Premier's decision to drop it.
There is scope to improve the services,especially with the trial of a service for commuters to work.I reckon LinkSA will go the way of their Murray Bridge and Barossa Services by running a service from Victor Harbor to Noarlunga,which is a large regional activity centre with a rail interchange.They will be able to offer more trips,but probably only with one bus.I reckon they will go for 4 returns a day.That style of service really doesn't cater for the holiday market or day trip in Victor Harbor-but neither did Premiers services.
leccy

Post by leccy »

An interesting move. Premier's has had southern services since forever (ie 50 years at least).

Does anyone know when the Victor peak hour commuter services were dropped? I suspect fairly recently. I know for years the afternoon peak service from Adelaide left from outside the Reserve Bank on Flinders Street rather than Central Bus Station.
An enthusiast can be professional too, but any comment here is a personal comment only.
flannier17

Post by flannier17 »

like to see a Mt Barker - Victor run. Mt Barker is developing into a major retail / commercial hub all in a concentrated zone so making the trip to Mt Barker may be an alternative option than Collanades/Marion and Adelaide. Would also like to see Link create a bus route Victor - Seaford Interchange and connect with train to Adelaide rather than compete with road traffic into/from the city during peak periods
Gayspie

Post by Gayspie »

From what i saw, i think premiers decided to use their older coaches on the victor harbor run because they have cash registers near the steering wheel, used for selling tickets en route, of which the newer buses do not have.

Cha ching!
Regional rail in SA, for the future we all want!!!

Formerly known as heath loxton
BW44YS
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O405

Post by BW44YS »

What Coaches Were Sold To Kanga Coaches From Perimer ?
Join My Facebook Group's

Busways Group-Rowes Bus Service
https://www.facebook.com/groups/276161732537378/

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”