Temporary partial Outer Harbor rail line closure

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
I Follow PAFC
Favourite Vehicle: Any low floor bus

Temporary partial Outer Harbor rail line closure

Post by I Follow PAFC »

As part of the Torrens Road to River Torrens Project, there will be a temporary partial closure of the Outer Harbor rail line between Adelaide Station and Woodville Station from Saturday 9 April to Sunday 10 April 2016.

Substitute buses W1 will be available between Adelaide and Woodville, connecting to Outer Harbor and Grange train services.

http://adelaidemetro.com.au/Announcemen ... ne-closure
I Follow PAFC

Re: Temporary partial Outer Harbor rail line closure

Post by I Follow PAFC »

Planned June and 2-3 July 2016 closures on the Outer Harbor and Grange rail lines are no longer required.

Early works on the rail overpass on the Outer Harbor rail line at Croydon, as part of the Torrens Road to River Torrens Project, are progressing well.

To minimise the impact to rail commuters, the planned closures of the Outer Harbor and Grange rail lines on Saturday 18 June and Sunday 19 June and Saturday 2 July and Sunday 3 July 2016 are no longer required.

Trains will be running to the normal timetable.
Scheduled future closures will be confirmed as the project progresses.

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... r-required
I Follow PAFC

Post by I Follow PAFC »

When: From Saturday 5 November 2016 to Sunday 6 November 2016 Outer Harbor and Grange rail lines between Adelaide Station and Woodville Station will be close.

A full closure of the Outer Harbor and Grange rail lines will be required for continued works from Monday 2 to Sunday 22 January 2017. Detailed information as well as substitute bus timetables will be made available prior to the closures.

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... e-closures
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

It would seem whole lines closures are necessary because it is not possible to operate trains isolated north of Woodville for more than a weekend.

I was under the impression that the Rosewater loop was physically disconnected around the time the North-South Motorway was constructed and some of the dual gauge track through Wingfield had the broad gauge rail removed, and/or the connection to the mainline at Eastern Pde removed.

Taking a close up look of parts of the line today, it seems like the broad gauge rails are in tact throughout the Rosewater loop through to Dry Creek, and the loop line is still connected to the mainline at Eastern Pde, albeit with a stop board at the start of the loop. Is it physically possible for trains to use the Rosewater loop (traffic controllers using stop signs at level crossings in the wee hours of the morning) to travel between Port Adelaide and Dry Creek?

If these movements were possible it would save a lot of bus substitutes in January.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Unfortunately at Dry Creek itself, the broad gauge was removed from a standard gauge crossing by ARTC, thereby preventing broad gauge movements accessing Dry Creek station from Rosewater and Port Adelaide. I doubt that ARTC would reinstate the crossing for use on a couple of occasions per week for a total of three weeks.

The track condition between Gillman and Port Junction would also be questionable after the years of disuse, how much would it cost to return that trackage to proper repair, again for use on a couple of occasions per week for a total of three weeks.

If it were an extended closure that required use of the line it may be a different situation, however three weeks during a tradionally quiet time is probably not worth worrying about.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
coach driver 1981

Post by coach driver 1981 »

Eagle Eye wrote:It would seem whole lines closures are necessary because it is not possible to operate trains isolated north of Woodville for more than a weekend.

I was under the impression that the Rosewater loop was physically disconnected around the time the North-South Motorway was constructed and some of the dual gauge track through Wingfield had the broad gauge rail removed, and/or the connection to the mainline at Eastern Pde removed.

Taking a close up look of parts of the line today, it seems like the broad gauge rails are in tact throughout the Rosewater loop through to Dry Creek, and the loop line is still connected to the mainline at Eastern Pde, albeit with a stop board at the start of the loop. Is it physically possible for trains to use the Rosewater loop (traffic controllers using stop signs at level crossings in the wee hours of the morning) to travel between Port Adelaide and Dry Creek?

If these movements were possible it would save a lot of bus substitutes in January.
Im guessing this is where the midis and SLs will.come out from hybernation along with R800 to R808
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

The rumour for sometime has been midis from Outer Hbr to Port (or Woodville) and then artics from there to city. Similarly midis Grange to Woodville then onto the artics. There'd be enough midis and R8xx artics (from the 3 companies) to run this. I guess we won't have to wait long to see if these rumours are reality.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Stuff the R800 artics, let's get het SGs back! Let's give them one last hurrah DPTI, they're only 29-31...

Are they still sitting at Elizabeth, or have they mvoed to the TSA yard at Morphettville? Is there any chance at all they'll be used?
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Last I heard was that they were still sitting in the yard at Edinburgh North.
Hawkeye
Favourite Vehicle: Any well designed bus!

Post by Hawkeye »

Yep, they're still sitting at the smaller yard up at Elizabeth depot (Edinburgh North). Indeed it would be good to see them in action one last time, but not sure if that would happen :|
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

No chance of non-air conditioned buses making an appearance in January. They haven't been used in active service for a good couple of years now. Remember the Transport Minister also comes from the north-west. It won't happen.
coach driver 1981

Post by coach driver 1981 »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:Stuff the R800 artics, let's get het SGs back! Let's give them one last hurrah DPTI, they're only 29-31...

Are they still sitting at Elizabeth, or have they mvoed to the TSA yard at Morphettville? Is there any chance at all they'll be used?
I doubt we will see them in service again being there nearly 30 years old and no air con but on saying that there must be a reason the government is holding onto them and not selling them to WA or scrap?
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I doubt they're gathering dust for nothing. The last thing we want is more new rail sub CB80 artics :).
TT

Post by TT »

I think wheelchair accessibility would be just as important as air conditioning.
MrNicoster
Favourite Vehicle: Merc O305/G - MAN NL202/11.190

Post by MrNicoster »

The reason they are gathering dust is they are being readied for sale. WA won't buy them due to their odd parts. They use mainly german parts and are hard to find or would have to be machined.

3 have been sold as far as I know but I only know the location of 1...

It would be interesting to see if the new Bustech and Wright buses show up on the rail subs.
Regards,
Mr Nicoster.

KickingDown around the suburbs with an NL202 and speeding down the O-Bahn in a Merc!
I Follow PAFC

Post by I Follow PAFC »

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... ne-closure

Substitute bus services explained

The following substitute bus services will operate between Adelaide - Outer Harbor and
Adelaide - Grange for the duration of the rail closure:

Substitute bus H1
Between Adelaide and Outer Harbor, servicing all stations Monday to Sunday

Substitute bus G1
Between Adelaide and Grange, servicing all stations Monday to Sunday

Substitute bus O1
Between Adelaide and Osborne - express service between Woodville and Adelaide, morning and afternoon peak hours, weekdays only

Substitute bus X1
Between Adelaide and Glanville - express service between Port Adelaide and Adelaide, to city morning peak and from city afternoon peak hours only.

Customers commuting from Woodville also have the option to catch the T2T Express bus from Arndale Centre Interchange in the morning and afternoon peak.
Attachments
15492470_1311347002250940_9128363806275030433_n.jpg
15492470_1311347002250940_9128363806275030433_n.jpg (73.12 KiB) Viewed 12025 times
Lt. Commander Data

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announc ... ne-closure

Full timetables can be found at the above link.
jibb

Post by jibb »

R Artics from Southlink and Light-City buses will be transferred to Torrens Transit during this time,so that they have sufficient buses to carry out the services.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

The H1 takes ridicolusy long amount of time to do its journey, 79 minutes. The G1 takes about 50 minutes. Why are drivers given too much time? They should be on a short as possible schedule. The slower the journey its more likely passengers will find alternative arrangements i.e carpooling.

The H1 should be at least express between Adelaide and Woodville not all stops.

Also Stop W1 or the old shelter by Stamford could of been used not Stop D.
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Lt. Commander Data

I'd imagine the reason they're given so much time is so that they won't run late. If they're run on a tight schedule, they will run late more, which then leaves a bad mark for the contractor. By allowing more time, it also can give drivers a longer layover at each terminus if they arrive early.
jibb

Post by jibb »

On the first day of Rail Sub Buses the following Torrens Transit buses are covering Outer Harbour and Grange services;-
1001 1003 1005 1008 1009 1013 1014 1015 1170 1171 1938
TT

Post by TT »

R806 is also there doing train subs.
Lt. Commander Data

Have all the 'R' artics moved to Torrens depots now?
TT

Post by TT »

No, none. Because it's school holidays I think the 8 artics at Port is sufficient, with some train sub shifts also being done from Mile End and Camden with their artics. And only public holiday timetable today, things might be different by tomorrow morning especially with the O1 and X1 express services operating on top of the regular all stoppers.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Light City Buses "R" Artics did not get transferred to TT for Rail Subs-they are in service this morning on LCB routes.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”