Motor melodies and maladies

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Motor melodies and maladies

Post by The Phonj »

This thread is for observations of vehicles which have good and bad sounding or acting drivetrains (engines, transmissions, hubs etc). These observations could be made whilst riding Adelaide's public transport or when next to a passing bus etc.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Re: Motor melodies and maladies

Post by TA3001 »

Was waiting for someone else to post in this thread, but went on 423 on Tuesday, and sitting on the seat in front of the rear axle was like laying on a vibrating phone. The vibrations in motion were shocking, and made my back feel weird. Unless it gets fixed (more likely to find 885 on a G22X twice in two days), I'll catch a 1900 K280UB if it's the only other option. It's a disgrace that 423 is even on the road in this condition. It's not unreliability, it's lack of maintenance.

Seems as though Port are just running them into the ground. There's a big difference with them mechanically compared to not long ago. 431 couldn't even get into third gear yesterday. Sounded like it was doing 70 or more in second. 432 was parked on the dead track again last night.
PD2/20

Post by PD2/20 »

TA3001 wrote:Was waiting for someone else to post in this thread, but went on 423 on Tuesday, and sitting on the seat in front of the rear axle was like laying on a vibrating phone. The vibrations in motion were shocking, and made my back feel weird. Unless it gets fixed (more likely to find 885 on a G22X twice in two days), I'll catch a 1900 K280UB if it's the only other option. It's a disgrace that 423 is even on the road in this condition. It's not unreliability, it's lack of maintenance.

Seems as though Port are just running them into the ground. There's a big difference with them mechanically compared to not long ago. 431 couldn't even get into third gear yesterday. Sounded like it was doing 70 or more in second. 432 was parked on the dead track again last night.
Given that 423 is 24 years old, you wouldn't expect a large amount to be spent in maintenance unless it could be recouped in resale value. :|
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

If they're not going to fix the serious issue that 423 has, it should just be retired early. 432 should also be retired if they're not going to fix it. 431 gets into the third gear a lot sooner than the other SL202s with Voith transmission (same with 439), so it's possible that the driver locked it in second when you were on it.

As for a new motor melody, MAN SL202 CNG 897 makes a very unusual sound when in motion. It occurs inconsistently, but the high-pitched noise doesn't sound good. I don't know what's causing it, but it reminded me of a similar issue that 869 had last year. At least it's not a painfully loud noise.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

Diesel_MAN wrote:...431 gets into the third gear a lot sooner than the other SL202s with Voith transmission (same with 439)...
That is easily changed by messing with the gearbox computer.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
Crispy!
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O405NH

Post by Crispy! »

432 was back in service as of last week.

897 has been like that it's diff ratio is set to 594:1 and has been like that from 2003 as far as I remember
885 has the same treatment recently done last year.
BUSWAY EQUIPPED:
PLEASE CHECK GUIDEWHEELS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

432 was in service for a few days, but is sitting on the dead track at Port again as far as I know.
PD2/20

Post by PD2/20 »

Crispy! wrote:...

897 has been like that it's diff ratio is set to 594:1 and has been like that from 2003 as far as I remember
885 has the same treatment recently done last year.
Missing decimal point in diff ratio?
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

I didn't realise that 885 has only been like that since last year. I was surprised when I found out that the two sounded virtually identical after catching them both last year. The issue 897 has isn't related to it's diff ratio.

I saw 432 in service for the first time in several months on March 7, although it shouldn't have reentered service. (Real life observation, not using TransitTimes.) It doesn't seem to have left Port Depot every day since then.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
Crispy!

Post by Crispy! »

PoweredByCNG wrote:
Diesel_MAN wrote:...431 gets into the third gear a lot sooner than the other SL202s with Voith transmission (same with 439)...
That is easily changed by messing with the gearbox computer.
I didn't know that Voith's were able to be programmed I thought it was just ZF's

432 I had on a Norwood parade service last week it wasn't changing gears very well are those Voith's easy to replace these days? ZF's are easier to replace I'm sure Port Depot or Mile End would probably have some variety of ZF's lying around somewhere.
BUSWAY EQUIPPED:
PLEASE CHECK GUIDEWHEELS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Has anyone been on 843 lately? It sounds like a typical CNG one in the 840 series range (1636 makes a similar sound too). I went on it on a 157, when it got to about 55kph, and couldn't figure out what's so unique about it.
Crispy!

Post by Crispy! »

843 is one of my favourites I like it because of its gear change pattern and its hub sounds.
BUSWAY EQUIPPED:
PLEASE CHECK GUIDEWHEELS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Southlink 3216 which I went on tonight didn't sound very healthy. Was revving higher than usual when the driver put his foot on the accelerator just east of Bridgewater, and sounded weird braking at Glen Osmond.

There was also a weird noise coming from the chassis which sounded like it could be a gearbox fault. Sort of like 423's, but without the shocking vibrations. However, there's probably more chance of it being fixed than 423, given how 424 has been for around 3 years.
Adelaide Hills DD
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB Gemilang (3401)

Post by Adelaide Hills DD »

There are a few others similar to 3216, Their gearboxes either need to be reprogrammed or something.
What even is a bus?
Adelaide Hills DD
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB Gemilang (3401)

Post by Adelaide Hills DD »

Currently on 542, and it is so quiet and the ride is so smooth. Am I right in saying that it is the only O-Bahn bus that is this model?
What even is a bus?
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Post by howlerbus »

Adelaide Hills DD wrote:Currently on 542, and it is so quiet and the ride is so smooth. Am I right in saying that it is the only O-Bahn bus that is this model?
Yes that is correct
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Adelaide Hills DD wrote:Currently on 542, and it is so quiet and the ride is so smooth. Am I right in saying that it is the only O-Bahn bus that is this model?
This was part of a Perth order, but it was modified by Mercedes for the track. There was 543, but this was renumbered 1200 (Scania L94UB CB60)
MAN SG280H

Post by MAN SG280H »

542 is starting to show her age and years of service.
She does not like warm weather as she still over heats.
A bigger radiator would solve the issue, But it does not fit into the allocated space, major modifications would have to be done.
542 is still be best sounding bus in the Adelaide Metro Fleet today.

542 is still the best bus on the Adelaide O-Bahn System.
The Cheap Scania are no match for a bus that was build for the system.
542 would make a great motor home in Tassie, where the weather is a lot cooler.

As Scania have the Contract to Supply Buses to the South Australian Government for the next 6 years, I can't see a lot changing with the type of buses Adelaide will be getting.

1135 Scania has a very loud Thermo fan, while standing in the TTP interchange and it came off the track, you could not hear yourself think due to the roar of the fan.
There are a number Scania's on the O-Bahn that do this.
St Agnes Workshops are looking into this Thermo fan issue and have found some valves in the Oil Pressure System that drives the fan get stuck open, So the fan runs at full speed even when the bus is not hot.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

So that's what causes the loud noise when one of these is going past is it? I thought there had to be a culprit. Wasn't ware of 542 overheating. Could this be the reason why it's been governed to 85kph?

I'm not sure about it being the best sounding vehicle, but it depends what one likes I guess. In my opinion, there's a ZF SL202 at Port that would probably hold this title, and is holding out well age wise, except for a worn rear axle.

Don't forget that MAN SL202 443 still operates along the O'bahn on the odd occasion, and the ride quality is fine. It's much more comfortable than sitting in the front section of a K320UA due to excessive noise in the trailer section.
coach driver 1981

Post by coach driver 1981 »

Port adelaide man 18;280 284 bus is sounding as if its on its last legs the motor on that has what sounds like a bearing in the engine about to go
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

I heard this vehicle making that sound from outside, but didn't realise it was the engine. Looks like there could be another one off the road soon joining 1504.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

TA3001 wrote:Wasn't ware of 542 overheating. Could this be the reason why it's been governed to 85kph?
542 has been overheating since the day it arrived. It received heavy modification early on to improve its cooling system and runs a lot better than it used to but is still prone to overheating on mildly warm days. It has been governed to 85km/h like the rest of the O-Bahn fleet.
coach driver 1981

Post by coach driver 1981 »

Eagle Eye wrote:
TA3001 wrote:Wasn't ware of 542 overheating. Could this be the reason why it's been governed to 85kph?
542 has been overheating since the day it arrived. It received heavy modification early on to improve its cooling system and runs a lot better than it used to but is still prone to overheating on mildly warm days. It has been governed to 85km/h like the rest of the O-Bahn fleet.
Ex southlinks 2520 and 2521 were prone to overheating as well that was due to the fact there was insuficient air getting into the back of it to cool it down
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

There seems to be another CNG SL202 (bus 865) in the fleet which definitely sounds very different to what it did last year. The extremely high pitch noise almost caused ringing in my ears as it traversed the descent past the intersection just west of West Tce. A fair bit of kickdown when changing through the first 4 gears at least. Only went on this one once last year. How things can change so quickly.

Just a pity that it's not at Morphettville anymore. Would be very interesting to hear it going down Ayliffes Rd at 70. It's insanely loud, even more so than 899.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Went on 284 yesterday to see what it was like, and it was fine apart from that audible noise it makes. It could end up like 1511 was at some point though (very loud idling sitting at stop V1 Currie St, audible from KW St)

On another note, I've compiled a summary regarding my obs of all the SL202s in service as of 10/15 (mainly mechanical observations, but the odd other one as well). If anyone's interested, I can post it here.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”