• Advertisement

Names of the stations on the Glenelg tram

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion

Names of the stations on the Glenelg tram

Postby peteb » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm a new boy here but I have a couple of very specific questions -

If in 1948 I was to catch a tram or trolley bus - whatever was used at the time - from Adelaide to the beach either at (1) Glenelg or (2) Henley Beach - what would the stops have been called on each line?
- and does anybody have an image of the conductor's ticketing gear?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I only hope that there is somebody out there old enough to remember.
peteb

Re: Names of the stations on the Glenelg tram

Postby PD2/20 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:12 pm

peteb wrote:I'm a new boy here but I have a couple of very specific questions -

If in 1948 I was to catch a tram or trolley bus - whatever was used at the time - from Adelaide to the beach either at (1) Glenelg or (2) Henley Beach - what would the stops have been called on each line?
- and does anybody have an image of the conductor's ticketing gear?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I only hope that there is somebody out there old enough to remember.

For information on stops on the Glenelg tramline see the recently published "City & Glenelg" http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/189372967?selectedversion=NBD52413088, which has a wealth of information.

I would suspect that the stops on the Adelaide street tramway network, of which Henley Beach was part, would not have been individually named.

A usefule resource on the history of Adelaide public transport is "Adelaide road passenger transport, 1836-1958 / by J.C. Radcliffe and C.J.M. Steele" http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/1180797. A copy is held in the SA State Library.

Also visit or contact the Tram Museum at St Kilda, SA.

Alex C
PD2/20

Re: Names of the stations on the Glenelg tram

Postby peteb » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:23 pm

many thanks
peteb

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Adelaide / SA