• Advertisement

Closed Railway Lines

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion

Closed Railway Lines

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:43 pm

I was on Wikipedia and reading about the closed Bridgwater Line, and then kept reading as I was interested to see the stations between Bridgewater and Tailem Bend. I made it as far as Nairne Station before there was no Wikipedia Page about it. So I was wondering if anyone could give me any info on Stations between Petwood and Tailem Bend. Also if anyone has any extra info on Stations between Belair and Nairne that would be appreciated also.

After admitting defeat, I started looking at the Willunga Rail line. It says on the Reynella Station page that a bus interchange was built on the site. I am assuming that it is referring to Old Reynella Interchange, but wasn't there an old Old Reynella Interchange. Any info n this line would also be appreciated.

By info I mean location of stations, dates of opening closure, etc.

Cheers,

Data
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 867, 868.
Adelaide Metro Photography. For all your Adelaide bus photo needs.
Lt. Commander Data

Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Re: Closed Railway Lines

Postby B59 Volvo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:30 pm

Travelling east, after Nairne the next station was Callington. Petwood is a crossing loop. It still exists today.There never was a station at Petwood. The Callington Station building was removed and now resides at the National Rail Museum. Photos here

Next station was at Monarto South, where the branchline to Sedan connected with the mainline. Photos found about midway down this page

Next station is Murray Bridge, then Tailem Bend., a photo of which appears on the same page link
B59 Volvo

Re: Closed Railway Lines

Postby B59 Volvo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:53 pm

Regarding the former rail station at Reynella, the Wiki article you read isn't completely accurate. The bus interchange isn't on the site of the station, but beside it. old photo here.

If you step from a bus at the interchange, and walk east, crossing the commuter car park, and through the pine trees, you will encounter a bike path. This was where the railway lay. The location of the station is marked by a small shelter and sign.
B59 Volvo

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Adelaide / SA