• Advertisement

[Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion

[Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby The Phonj » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:15 pm

Summer is now officially here (not that you would have thought it with today's weather), Christmas is nearly here and the end of the month marks the New Year celebrations.

In reflection this year; we have seen the final blast from venerable MAN SG280H's (I doubt they'll be coming back into traffic); the demise of local bus bodybuilder Custom Coaches who have consolidated their bodybuilding operations to their Sydney plant; the introduction to service of new electric railcars on the extended Seaford line; the reopening of the Tonsley line after over two years of closure; the reopening of Millswood station after nearly 20 years of closure, the opening of St. Clair and Adelaide Showground stations, and the introduction of a Bustech CDi Double Decker on trial service J1X between Adelaide and Adelaide Airport. I wonder what adventures await us next year!

Have a safe festive season and we'll come back next year to do it all over again!

Post your observations regarding South Australian transport observations that wouldn't seem to warrant their own thread here.
Get the Firefox internet browser at: http://www.firefox.com
Watch out for ghostly bus drivers!
User avatar
The Phonj
Administrator
 
Posts: 2636
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:09 pm
Location: Adelaide, or to the West or East of it.
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 188 times
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200, PMCSA body

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby MrNicoster » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:08 pm

Well said Phonj,

We saw old faviorites go and new ones come. I too can not wait to see what is in store for 2015. Have a safe festive season all! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone on Bus Australia!
Regards,
Mr Nicoster.

KickingDown around the suburbs with an NL202 and speeding down the O-Bahn in a Merc!
User avatar
MrNicoster
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 6 times
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200/SL202/NL202/11.190

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby busrider » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:11 pm

The Phonj wrote:we have seen the final blast from venerable MAN SG280H's (I doubt they'll be coming back into traffic)



23 of the 40 SG280Hs are still registered until 30/11/15, so we might see them come back for one last blast...
User avatar
busrider
Moderator
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Not in the Gutta
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 204 times
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby TA3001 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:17 am

Seems like Scania L94UB 2557 is yet another SL north L94UB out of service for major repairs. I haven't seen this one anywhere for months now. Last time I went on it (in June), it sounded terrible.

Could be an issue sort of related to the transmission. I notice that most of the earlier built ones (2530-2547) seem to have very few problems, but most of the ones from around 2548-2558 (built late 2006-early 2007) seem to have all sorts of weird issues. TT 1254 sounded pretty bad today when I went on it, and that was just through the CBD (Newton one, built in 2007).
User avatar
TA3001
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:25 pm

The Phonj wrote:Summer is now officially here (not that you would have thought it with today's weather), Christmas is nearly here and the end of the month marks the New Year celebrations.

In reflection this year; we have seen the final blast from venerable MAN SG280H's (I doubt they'll be coming back into traffic); the demise of local bus bodybuilder Custom Coaches who have consolidated their bodybuilding operations to their Sydney plant; the introduction to service of new electric railcars on the extended Seaford line; the reopening of the Tonsley line after over two years of closure; the reopening of Millswood station after nearly 20 years of closure, the opening of St. Clair and Adelaide Showground stations, and the introduction of a Bustech CDi Double Decker on trial service J1X between Adelaide and Adelaide Airport. I wonder what adventures await us next year!

Have a safe festive season and we'll come back next year to do it all over again!

Post your observations regarding South Australian transport observations that wouldn't seem to warrant their own thread here.


It has been a very busy year! Merry Christmas everyone and be safe :D
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 867, 868.
Adelaide Metro Photography. For all your Adelaide bus photo needs.
User avatar
Lt. Commander Data
 
Posts: 1988
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:09 am
Location: Stirling (West), South Australia
Has thanked: 1011 times
Been thanked: 206 times
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby The Phonj » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:35 pm

Trains not running on the Grange and Outer Harbor lines this weekend; due to level crossing work being undertaken at David Tce/Kilkenny Rd. Replacement buses running over the whole line. Refer to http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announc ... ne-closure for more information.
Get the Firefox internet browser at: http://www.firefox.com
Watch out for ghostly bus drivers!
User avatar
The Phonj
Administrator
 
Posts: 2636
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:09 pm
Location: Adelaide, or to the West or East of it.
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 188 times
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200, PMCSA body

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby thedom » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:28 pm

20 years of PSA's on admet Trains:

YouTube video attached to Adelaide metro webpage:

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announcements/News/Adelaide-Metro-s-Passenger-Service-Assistants-celebrate-20-years


PSA's redo Pharrell's happy music video.......
thedom
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Salisbury
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 21 times
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby busrider » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:41 pm

The new Scania/Gemilang decker has arrived in SA, see photos in the photo section. Also sighted today was a new K280UB/CB80 at Scania.

IMG_3615.JPG
New K280/CB80 at Scania with the yellow header.
IMG_3615.JPG (294.52 KiB) Viewed 3861 times
User avatar
busrider
Moderator
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Not in the Gutta
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 204 times
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby TT » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:09 pm

So the yellow header makes a return, like 1912 and 1182.
TT
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Adelaide [West Lakes]
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 69 times
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz 0500-LE

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby TA3001 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:28 am

Scania K320UA 1152 seems to be another one with a faulty diff pinion bearing. This makes 10 on this list.
User avatar
TA3001
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:23 pm

I heard 3277 going up the hill on Longwood Road towards Stirling (near stop 37) and thought an SL202 had payed a visit it sounded so bad! It made a grinding, throaty noise unlike the more modern whining noise they usually make.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 867, 868.
Adelaide Metro Photography. For all your Adelaide bus photo needs.
User avatar
Lt. Commander Data
 
Posts: 1988
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:09 am
Location: Stirling (West), South Australia
Has thanked: 1011 times
Been thanked: 206 times
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby jibb » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:29 pm

Latest Custom Coaches ScaniaCB80 is 2402 based at Southlink's Elizabeth Depot.These were built in NSW.
jibb
 
Posts: 3363
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: 265
Has thanked: 347 times
Been thanked: 157 times

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby TA3001 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:53 pm

What's 2402 for? All the Scanias at Edinurgh North are in service as far as I know, unless it's a supplement for 2557 or 2228 until they get fixed.

On an unrelated note, some of the Volgren bodied L94UBs seem to have music programmed in. Noticed it on 3204 which I went on today. The other ones I've been on in the last few days don't though.
User avatar
TA3001
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby Gotupandgone » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:59 pm

New Scania's being delivered to Elizabeth will facilitate the withdrawal of the midi's over the coming months.
Gotupandgone
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:11 pm
Location: Elizabeth Depot
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: 18.280

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:32 pm

TA3001 wrote:What's 2402 for? All the Scanias at Edinurgh North are in service as far as I know, unless it's a supplement for 2557 or 2228 until they get fixed.

On an unrelated note, some of the Volgren bodied L94UBs seem to have music programmed in. Noticed it on 3204 which I went on today. The other ones I've been on in the last few days don't though.


What do you mean by music programmed in? Are you sure its not just the driver with the radio turned up so that the whole bus can hear...
Last edited by Lt. Commander Data on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 867, 868.
Adelaide Metro Photography. For all your Adelaide bus photo needs.
User avatar
Lt. Commander Data
 
Posts: 1988
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:09 am
Location: Stirling (West), South Australia
Has thanked: 1011 times
Been thanked: 206 times
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby TA3001 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:05 pm

Lt. Commander Data wrote:
TA3001 wrote:What's 2402 for? All the Scanias at Edinurgh North are in service as far as I know, unless it's a supplement for 2557 or 2228 until they get fixed.

On an unrelated note, some of the Volgren bodied L94UBs seem to have music programmed in. Noticed it on 3204 which I went on today. The other ones I've been on in the last few days don't though.


What do you mean by music programmed in? Are you sure its not just the driver with the radio turned up so that the whole bus can hear...


Nah, it's definitely programmed in. It wasn't the driver. it was coming from the centre/rear of the bus
User avatar
TA3001
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby busrider » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Some, if not all hills Volgrens are able to play radio through the speakers...
User avatar
busrider
Moderator
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Not in the Gutta
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 204 times
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby jibb » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:18 pm

Gotupandgone wrote:New Scania's being delivered to Elizabeth will facilitate the withdrawal of the midi's over the coming months.

What is wrong with the Midis? They still have a few years left in them?
jibb
 
Posts: 3363
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: 265
Has thanked: 347 times
Been thanked: 157 times

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby Bodø Glimt » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:50 am

They are awful things to drive.
User avatar
Bodø Glimt
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:09 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby TA3001 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:35 pm

So what's going to happen with the Gawler services?

With the midis being replaced by normal size buses, are there still going to be buses based at Gawler in the LinkSA depot (it's used to store a few Southlink buses for Gawler services), or will they be driven up there from other places? Currently, a few midis reside there overnight.
User avatar
TA3001
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby TT » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:36 am

Saw a Scania CB80 with yellow header arriving in the city just before 8am yesterday morning as a T721. Think it was 2403, so that would be another Sydney built one on the road? And Southlink based at Lonsdale?
TT
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Adelaide [West Lakes]
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 69 times
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz 0500-LE

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby jibb » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:16 am

2402 is already operating from Elizabeth Depot,and Torrens Transit have a new one-possibly 1929 operating from Camden Park.
jibb
 
Posts: 3363
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: 265
Has thanked: 347 times
Been thanked: 157 times

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby Gotupandgone » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:49 pm

TA3001 wrote:So what's going to happen with the Gawler services?

With the midis being replaced by normal size buses, are there still going to be buses based at Gawler in the LinkSA depot (it's used to store a few Southlink buses for Gawler services), or will they be driven up there from other places? Currently, a few midis reside there overnight.


There will still be 6 metro buses based at Willaston for Gawler services. They will gradually transition to rigid buses as the midi's are phased out.
Gotupandgone
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:11 pm
Location: Elizabeth Depot
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: 18.280

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby jibb » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:31 pm

With plans to scale back and revise Gawler services later next month,they won't need as many buses based there!
jibb
 
Posts: 3363
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: 265
Has thanked: 347 times
Been thanked: 157 times

Re: [Dec 2014] SA Transport observations

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:54 pm

jibb wrote:With plans to scale back and revise Gawler services later next month,they won't need as many buses based there!


They're scaling back Gawler services again!!?? Didn't they do that in the last major timetable changes? And the ones before that, and before that and every single one since they were introduced? :) :wink:
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 867, 868.
Adelaide Metro Photography. For all your Adelaide bus photo needs.
User avatar
Lt. Commander Data
 
Posts: 1988
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:09 am
Location: Stirling (West), South Australia
Has thanked: 1011 times
Been thanked: 206 times
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Next


  • Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Adelaide / SA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eurostar and 9 guests