• Advertisement

Whyalla Coach Lines

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion

Whyalla Coach Lines

Postby hey_charger » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:26 pm

In my quest to search for the history of "The Abbott's Semi (trailer bus)", I was shown a photo today of an Inter (poss '38) towing a trailer bus, very similar to The Abbott's Semi. The trailer had markings on the side "Whyalla Coach Lines". When searching the 'net, I cannot find anything about this company. All comments appreciated. Thanks. Rod.
hey_charger

Re: Whyalla Coach Lines

Postby curious 34 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi ,in 1950s West Coast Motor Services ran a bus service from Whyalla to Port Pirie to enable Whyalla people to catch a train from Port Pirie Junction to Adelaide. The bus arrived in Port Pirie around 8 oclock in the morning and stayed there to meet the incoming train from Adelaide at about 12.30 when it returned to whyalla. My recollection is that service was running a semitrailer bus and the prime mover was a pre war heavy duty series D International.I think that service may have ceased when the Commonwealh Railwys started running the Budd railcars between Pt Augusta anad Port Pirie. In later years when the line was extended to whyalla i think that the Buddds ran from whyalla to Pirie and there was also a serice from woomera to either Pt Augusta or Pirie. In 1958 the same company ran a night service between Whyalla and adelaide Cheers
curious 34

Re: Whyalla Coach Lines

Postby curious 34 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:45 pm

To Hey Charger, Hi if you could post a photo of thebus you refer to i may be able to identify it as the bus I remember. Cheers. Dean
curious 34

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Adelaide / SA