• Advertisement

Bus Museum for Adelaide

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion

Re: Bus Museum for Adelaide

Postby ScaniaK320 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:47 pm

Hi everyone.
I would love to be part of the team.
It sound great, I am aware it is going to be a lot of work.
Perhaps we could start off this a facebook page, with Pictures and details of the buses.
Also include how the Bus system has changed over the years.
This could work and work well.

I am more than willing to setup a facebook page for this, There would have to be at least 3 page managers as well.
Lets start off small and build up and incorporate Bus Australia website and other bus museum sites from around Australia.

If you are keen, then drop me a line via PM.

Will be great to hear from you all.

Regards
Happy to help
All tickets and Passes please
ScaniaK320

Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M MKIII

Postby boronia » Sat May 24, 2014 7:32 pm

PoweredByCNG wrote:As some of you may already know, there are a number of former Adelaide route service buses preserved in private hands. Modern favourites including Volvo B58s and B10Ms, MAN SL 200s and Mercedes-Benz O 305s and O 305 Gs are all covered. As some have mentioned, incorporating a museum would involve years of hard work and dedication, and a large enough group of people with similar goals.

While there is nothing wrong with preserving such vehicles. you do need something older for a museum to capture the public imagination. Double deckers and bonnetted single deckers are always an eye catcher.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby operator541 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi guys just a thought for you, The buses and trolley buses at St Kilda could be 'loaned' to the new "Museum" if a deal could be struck. According to gunzel42 in a previous post, they aren't really interested in them, they just want the trams. Don't get me wrong i love the Trams too but it shouldn't be a them against us situation, It should be a Public Transport Museum. All for one and one for all. Thanks :)

gunzel42 wrote:
Rick R wrote:Try working in with St Kilda, they already have some good vehicles and having them supportive of your aims will be an asset. You should concentrate on having a few good vehicles not lots of vehicles in various conditions, as housing them in a place where they won't deteriorate for decades costs big money and that money has to be raised and wisely spent.
quote]

Given the absolute lack of interest in the buses at St Kilda, I doubt any bus museum would be a success.

As a tram enthusiast disgusted with the lack of interest in the buses I recently ensured that 28 blown light globes out of 35 were replaced, primarily for our customer's benefit. How many bus enthusiasts does it take to change a light bulb????

Given the work that has been done by tram enthusiasts to support the alleged bus enthusiasts, you would have to wonder if our effort would have been better spent sending the buses to Sims and using the $$$ for tram preservation!

I challenge you collectively! If you give as much a damn about bus preservation as you claim to do, then front up and clean the buses, pump up the tyres, clean off the pigeon XXX, change the light globes when needed, and actually show you care about the buses. You will be welcomed to do so - anyone who will take an interest in the buses and do some work on them will be applauded for doing so. If you get some runs on the board, then we will be happy to support you.

The tram enthusiasts are tiring of propping up the dysfunctional group of bus apologists, and next time the Trolley Bus Pavilion is closed for public safety, it won't be being rescued by the tram enthusiasts as it has been the last two times.
operator541

Favourite Vehicle: AEC Swift 760 series

Postby gunzel42 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:35 pm

operator541 wrote:Hi guys just a thought for you, The buses and trolley buses at St Kilda could be 'loaned' to the new "Museum" if a deal could be struck. According to gunzel42 in a previous post, they aren't really interested in them, they just want the trams. Don't get me wrong i love the Trams too but it shouldn't be a them against us situation, It should be a Public Transport Museum. All for one and one for all. Thanks :)

I am not really wanting to have an argument with you, but why should someone who volunteers their time to preserve and work on trams because they like trams be somehow forced to be have an interest in buses? That is like your mother force feeding you brussel sprouts or mushrooms or cod liver oil or Saunders Malt Extract or Worst End beer. Why should the Tramway Museum be somehow forced to be a public transport museum? Port Dock isn't, Steamranger isn't, Pichi Richi isn't. Even Birdwood voted with their feet and deaccessioned their buses because of the lack of interest, despite the deceitful actions of certain persons who tried to force them into having the buses in their collection.

It is not really fair play either to misquote - I am not sure how you get 'they are not really interested in them, they just want the trams' from 'Given the work that has been done by tram enthusiasts to support the alleged bus enthusiasts...' - I would suggest that the tram enthusiasts have shown far more interest in the buses than any of the bus enthusiasts have, have been more than tolerant and supportive of the bus collection, and have definitely done more actual work to ensure their ongoing preservation.

The challenge still stands - how about fronting up and volunteering YOUR time to do some work on cleaning and maintaining the buses?
gunzel42

Postby Rick R » Tue May 27, 2014 12:02 am

Did I mention that finding a way through the old rivalries and divisions will be a big part of getting things underway? Arguing about what has happened in the past will get you nowhere. Understanding any old issues is important, but anyone genuinely interested in bus preservation down there should be discussing what will happen to get an enthusiast group off the ground.

There appear to be enough of you down there to start something, unless you give it a go you won't know if will or won't happen.
Enjoy.
Rick R

Postby operator541 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:27 am

Hi guys in my previous statement in this thread i used a quote from another member which i didn't mean to use. Sorry Rick. your statement wasn't meant to be any part of that quote. it was however meant to be from the other member in that quote. thanks guys, my part in this thread is over. :)
operator541

Postby STA 1440 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:17 pm

We do have a bus museum. It's just that it's not formal, and the public aren't welcome :P

And I certainly wouldn't be 'disgusted' with the lack of interest in Adelaide's bus history; there are hundreds and hundreds of individuals in SA who have a keen interest in the subject. And don't ever think that there are no buses that have been purchased for preservation; there's already a mixed bag of 9.
As the Phonj has just said, we are eventually aiming towards a proper 'club'; especially considering it would mean some kind of fundraising for the restoration and upkeep of the ever expanding number of buses our group is slowly accumulating.
When something eventually does get formalised, you'll all be made aware of it; so until then, rides etc on these buses is strictly invite only.

See you on the road. And feel free to snap away if you see one of our old girls out and about.
STA 1440

Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA B10M 1440/2405

Postby boronia » Thu May 29, 2014 8:58 pm

You have to think about housing your collection. If you do manage to find a benefactor who will give you use of an existing property, make sure you get a decent lease on it. Nothing worse than working on the project for 5 years, then being told you have to move on.

If you get land and have to provide your own building, expect to pay around $15,000 per vehicle to get something that complies with all current legislations. That is before you start providing amenities for your members/staff and your visitors. If you have to rent commercial premises, expect about $1500-2000 per vehicle per year, but these may not be acceptable for public access.

Whichever way you go, your local council will throw all sorts of obstacles in your way just to keep you on yours toes and their coffers filled up.

Best of British luck
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Fri May 30, 2014 6:09 pm

What kinds of buses do you have?
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 867, 868.
Adelaide Metro Photography. For all your Adelaide bus photo needs.
Lt. Commander Data

Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Postby The Phonj » Fri May 30, 2014 7:49 pm

Get the Firefox internet browser at: http://www.firefox.com
Watch out for ghostly bus drivers!
The Phonj
Administrator

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200, PMCSA body

Postby PoweredByCNG » Fri May 30, 2014 7:54 pm

One bus that's missing from the list is Mercedes-Benz O 305 G/PMCSA (1549), which is also privately preserved.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042, ex-Transperth 1114 and ex-STA Adelaide 1549.
PoweredByCNG

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Postby MrNicoster » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:14 am

Is there an AEC Swift on that fleet list that was preserved because I could not see one.
Just wanted to double check. ;D
Regards,
Mr Nicoster.

KickingDown around the suburbs with an NL202 and speeding down the O-Bahn in a Merc!
MrNicoster

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200/SL202/NL202/11.190

Postby The Phonj » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:49 pm

I am not aware of any AEC Swift's that have been preserved in SA.
Get the Firefox internet browser at: http://www.firefox.com
Watch out for ghostly bus drivers!
The Phonj
Administrator

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200, PMCSA body

Postby The Inspector » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:09 pm

STA 1440 wrote:We do have a bus museum. It's just that it's not formal, and the public aren't welcome :P

I fail to see how a collection of buses that are privately owned for preservation but all housed ate various locations can be called a bus museum, what you have is a collection of buses yes but not a bus museum in the sense of what a museum should be.

That title will come later down the track when a group is established with a location for the buses all to be housed in.

I'd say your title at the moment would be better suited as a bus club.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
The Inspector

Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Postby operator541 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:37 pm

It might be a club but it's a start, I'd join that club
operator541

Re: Bus Museum for Adeliade

Postby gunzel42 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:40 pm

gunzel42 wrote:
Rick R wrote:Try working in with St Kilda, they already have some good vehicles and having them supportive of your aims will be an asset. You should concentrate on having a few good vehicles not lots of vehicles in various conditions, as housing them in a place where they won't deteriorate for decades costs big money and that money has to be raised and wisely spent.
quote]

Given the absolute lack of interest in the buses at St Kilda, I doubt any bus museum would be a success.

As a tram enthusiast disgusted with the lack of interest in the buses I recently ensured that 28 blown light globes out of 35 were replaced, primarily for our customer's benefit. How many bus enthusiasts does it take to change a light bulb????

Given the work that has been done by tram enthusiasts to support the alleged bus enthusiasts, you would have to wonder if our effort would have been better spent sending the buses to Sims and using the $$$ for tram preservation!

I challenge you collectively! If you give as much a damn about bus preservation as you claim to do, then front up and clean the buses, pump up the tyres, clean off the pigeon XXX, change the light globes when needed, and actually show you care about the buses. You will be welcomed to do so - anyone who will take an interest in the buses and do some work on them will be applauded for doing so. If you get some runs on the board, then we will be happy to support you.

The tram enthusiasts are tiring of propping up the dysfunctional group of bus apologists, and next time the Trolley Bus Pavilion is closed for public safety, it won't be being rescued by the tram enthusiasts as it has been the last two times.

Further to the previous 'challenge', this coming Saturday a clean up day has been arranged by Tramway Museum members keen to ensure that the buses are maintained in a better condition than they are currently.

Now is your chance to front up and vote with your feet... or preferably your hands doing actual work!

As well as the cleaning, in the near future we will be looking for volunteers to assist with the physical work of helping remove a flat tyre from Sunbeam 526 so that it can be sent for repair/replacement. $$$ will also need to be sourced for this. As it stands currently, only diseasal 623 is mobile, as the three trolley buses on the northern side of the shed are essentially trapped by the disabled 526. Some consideration had been given to 526 or 488 going to the Port for the NRM's October event but that has had to be dismissed given that there is no assurance that 526 could be made mobile by then.

Even if you are not an AETM member you will be welcome this Saturday (and on any subsequent work days) to assist in preserving the buses. No one wants to see the Trolley Bus Pavilion closed, but unless it can be maintained in a clean and safe manner for visitors to inspect then there will be no choice but to mothball the buses and close the shed.

If you are a true bus gunzel, this coming Saturday is your chance to step up to the plate and demonstrate your commitment!
gunzel42

Postby MPM » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:58 pm

Well guys thanks a lot for your help today!

Good to see a grand total of 0 people chose to help.

If you lot want to preserve buses you'll have to do a lot more than sit at home speculating about it.
MPM

Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B58/B10m

Postby thedom » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Well I wasn't there because I had but 4 days notice from your post to try and make arrangements.... I'm not all over the correct outlets for this kind of info... However maybe next time with some more notice and a quieter drama free life. Feel free to post a correct link or PM me the info in future and I will make an effort.
thedom

Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Postby operator541 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:36 am

Hi guys, Sorry i wasn't there i didn't see the post til today (a day after the fact). I do work and a little more notice would have been nice otherwise i'd have been there. :D
operator541

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:00 pm

My internet was down Thursday/Friday, had other commitments on Wednesday, and was in bed by the time you posted the info on Tuesday. I'm really sorry that I wasn't there :oops: :oops: :cry:
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 867, 868.
Adelaide Metro Photography. For all your Adelaide bus photo needs.
Lt. Commander Data

Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Postby MrNicoster » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:13 am

I have made a facebook group for the people interested in being part of the Bus Museum group.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1485862388323357/
Regards,
Mr Nicoster.

KickingDown around the suburbs with an NL202 and speeding down the O-Bahn in a Merc!
MrNicoster

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200/SL202/NL202/11.190

Postby Denv12 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:08 am

It might be easier to start a road transport museum in Adelaide.That ought to share costs between the truck owners and bus owners of preserved vehicles.There's the Road transport musuem in Alice Springs.It works for them.I like the idea.
Denv12

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Adelaide / SA