Double Decker Bus to be trialled

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Tim Williams

Re: Double Decker Bus to be trialled

Post by Tim Williams »

jibb wrote:First of the new "trial" Double Deckers from Bustech has arrived in Adelaide tonight.
Why the comment - are we to expect more than one?? and is this CDI in full Adelaide Metro livery?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Rumour has it that it is one of the Surfside ones which is probably in Translink livery.
Possibly 217 which is still listed as - To be delivered.
Living in the Shire.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Yes, I wondered if hat would happen!!
superbossgc

Post by superbossgc »

Fleetlist, yes it's under 217.
Austral Volvo B10M mk3 Artic (375-380) 1991-2012
jibb

Post by jibb »

There is supposed to be one coming from Gemilang in Malaysia later in the year for use on the Mt Barker-Adelaide and vice versa runs!
Willie
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes 0405NH

Post by Willie »

The CDi sighted was in Admet livery.
jibb

Post by jibb »

This bus in AdMet livery is now in Torrens Transit's Mile End workshops.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

jibb wrote:This bus in AdMet livery is now in Torrens Transit's Mile End workshops.
Why is it at Mile End if it is doing hills routework?
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

On previous page it says that it is NOT intended for Hills work and that it would be at Mile End.
Living in the Shire.
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:
jibb wrote:This bus in AdMet livery is now in Torrens Transit's Mile End workshops.
Why is it at Mile End if it is doing hills routework?
It is not doing Hills work, it will be on Jetbus services.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
runawaybus

Post by runawaybus »

It won't be happening in October 2014 changes see: http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announc ... 12-October
Definition of Commuter Consultation or even Community Consultation: "We've made up our minds don't confuse us with the facts".
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

runawaybus wrote:It won't be happening in October 2014 changes see: http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announc ... 12-October

Where does it say the Decker will not be in service for the October changes?

It may just be put onto the existing services.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Maybe the Government is looking for some publicity from the launch of the decker before introducing it into service. Watch this space!
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
ScaniaK320
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N. 18.280

Post by ScaniaK320 »

It should be trialed with all contractors in Adelaide Metro.
it is no good for the O-Bahn services as the Tunnel and some bridges are to low.
It would go well on the G10 Services between Blair Athol to the City and Return or the 100/300 route.
All tickets and Passes please
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

In my opinion it will be ideal to have the double decker bus used on the 864, T840/840X, G22, T721X
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

Eurostar wrote:In my opinion it will be ideal to have the double decker bus used on the 864, T840/840X, G22, T721X
Given that it is at Mile End, if it is to be trialled on services other than Jet-Bus services, it would make more sense for it to be trialled on 286, weekday 287 and 288 services. Those regularly operate as 'Full no pick up' before they even leave North Terrace and sometimes they are operated by double divisions, making them more realistic options for a trial run with a double decker.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

Diesel_MAN wrote:
Eurostar wrote:In my opinion it will be ideal to have the double decker bus used on the 864, T840/840X, G22, T721X
Given that it is at Mile End, if it is to be trialled on services other than Jet-Bus services, it would make more sense for it to be trialled on 286, weekday 287 and 288 services. Those regularly operate as 'Full no pick up' before they even leave North Terrace and sometimes they are operated by double divisions, making them more realistic options for a trial run with a double decker.
I would disagree with most of that statement Diesel_Man.

They don't operate as double divisions; there are timetabled services 7-8 minutes apart at times and due to traffic conditions, late running or operator & vehicle ability show up close together. I would highly doubt if most of your 'full' services were articulated, you would have a more weighted argument IMHO if so.

The idea of the double decker is to establish its suitability as a fleet vehicle alternative to articulated buses (according to the fox's original media release). You wouldn't be comparing a 80+ seater to a midi or rigid. If they want to test a DD with roundabouts then yes I would agree with you either 281/286/287 & 288 or W90/91.

I would like to see anytime recently when a 287 has departed the city full, with the exception of directly after Adelaide Oval AFL events- Which would still be expected across many routes.
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

thedom wrote:
Diesel_MAN wrote: Given that it is at Mile End, if it is to be trialled on services other than Jet-Bus services, it would make more sense for it to be trialled on 286, weekday 287 and 288 services. Those regularly operate as 'Full no pick up' before they even leave North Terrace and sometimes they are operated by double divisions, making them more realistic options for a trial run with a double decker.
I would disagree with most of that statement Diesel_Man.

They don't operate as double divisions; there are timetabled services 7-8 minutes apart at times and due to traffic conditions, late running or operator & vehicle ability show up close together. I would highly doubt if most of your 'full' services were articulated, you would have a more weighted argument IMHO if so.

The idea of the double decker is to establish its suitability as a fleet vehicle alternative to articulated buses (according to the fox's original media release). You wouldn't be comparing a 80+ seater to a midi or rigid. If they want to test a DD with roundabouts then yes I would agree with you either 281/286/287 & 288 or W90/91.

I would like to see anytime recently when a 287 has departed the city full, with the exception of directly after Adelaide Oval AFL events- Which would still be expected across many routes.
You're absolutely right thedom.

An extra artic in the mornings on those and certain other services would more than suffice, if there are any extras available. I shouldn't assume that the 287A services I see are double divisions, I see enough practically empty G10s going by two in a row during various times of the day and on various days of the week to know that they are not double divisions.

Fleet Lists states that this bus is to be trialled on "new JetBus express" services, so does that mean that we'll be seeing J1X and/or J2X services during peak hour?
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
witsend
Favourite Vehicle: Dunns Daewoo CS120 No. 31

Post by witsend »

That would be unneceesarily cruel, sending the decker on the W90. It's almost a sport watching the drivers of any bus tackle the W90 roundabouts. When I drove, sometimes whilst running special to the city, and twice on T721X, I used the 296/297 route between Leader St and Daws Rd to skirt traffic issues, arriving between 5-10 minutes early at Junkfood Corner. Advantages of growing up in the area. On Winston Avenue around, between stops 14 and 20 would be particularly tricky with tree heights. Ideally, the DD would be availables on a capacity route, where the extra seating would be particularly useful. JetBus is a good start. I could see them on the 864/840 as a viable alternative to the 14.5 Scanias.
Regards,

Samuel Wittwer
Posts may not be supported or endorsed by any group that I'm associated with, and normally are my own personal view.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

witsend wrote:That would be unneceesarily cruel, sending the decker on the W90. It's almost a sport watching the drivers of any bus tackle the W90 roundabouts. When I drove, sometimes whilst running special to the city, and twice on T721X, I used the 296/297 route between Leader St and Daws Rd to skirt traffic issues, arriving between 5-10 minutes early at Junkfood Corner. Advantages of growing up in the area. On Winston Avenue around, between stops 14 and 20 would be particularly tricky with tree heights. Ideally, the DD would be availables on a capacity route, where the extra seating would be particularly useful. JetBus is a good start. I could see them on the 864/840 as a viable alternative to the 14.5 Scanias.
Outside of peak 864/F buses will be just about full by the time they get to the toll gate. Also 840x buses during peak are also packed. Both routes could do with DDs, considering how few artics there are in Aldgate/Mt Barker depots.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Photoshop jobs - buses which do not exist

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Mitch wrote:Maybe you predicted the future, OLYMPIAN. Is there not a CDi about to run around Adelaide in Admet colours?

Thanks,
Mitchul ;]
I was about to ask myself Mitch. HOW IS the DD trial going in Adelaide. Has it started yet :?: Haven't seen any pictures anywhere.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

No, it looks set to start soon but no date is confirmed yet. It's been kept in a shed so there aren't really any decent photos of it at the moment...
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

busrider wrote:No, it looks set to start soon but no date is confirmed yet. It's been kept in a shed so there aren't really any decent photos of it at the moment...
Thanks for the update busrider
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

I am suprised no one has published a photo of this bus on the site - a thought one of you young Gunzels would have talked your way in and got a good.

In my day I managed to get myself inside the MTT Hackney's most secret depths (by some careful talking) and gained colour slides of AEC Swift 401, Deutz 250 and Merc 260 all before they had been released to traffic!!

So, how about some initiative, please!
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Back in your day security probably wasn't as much of a concern... I did take a few pics from behind the fence line, but since the bus is in workshops, I couldn't really get any decent photos worthy of posting on here.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”