• Advertisement

SA Rail Consortium: Update

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion

Re: SA Rail Consortium: Update

Postby The Inspector » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:54 am

there is also a group on FaceBook for this aswell, altho I am amused by what is going on I am staying diplomatic as altho it sounds like a lot of hog wash we dont know what is or isnt happening.

I await further press releases :P
Has AdMet CB80 fever
The Inspector

Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Postby Heardy_101 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Big update here:

You will need to have read recent posts on RailPage to get more sense out of it. Here's the link: http://www.railpage.com.au/f-t11366394-s300.htm

A new SG line to the first new depot near Blyth will be built from the junction at Bowmans via Balaklava (the old Gladstone line), and then when the second depot is ready near Farrell Flat, the BG network will be converted to service this. All freight will be coming from Victoria on the SG network straight to the Facilities, no transshipment depots in Adelaide required hence why there is no yard (or a need of one).

The information that I have received is that about 20% of the sleepers on 2 out of the3 BG lines (Burra and Kapunda) are still suitable for a few more years. They will be replaced with low profile DG concrete sleepers at the rate of 1 in 3 first year, and then full replacement when the Burra line is converted to SG to service the facility near Farrell Flat. This will allow for passenger operations on a Class 2 track speed limited to 100km/h.

The section from Hamley Bridge to Balaklava will have 1 in 4 sleepers replaced due to the fact that this line is only 60lb rail and will give a Class 3 rating on this line with speed restriction on this section, which will be timber until conversion. I know their initial budget of $30M is for sleeper replacement and initial development of the Blyth service. I think the main part of the project has about a $85M budget over 3 years which includes the rebuilding of the Balaklava to Hamley Bridge section with heavy rail. As mentioned above all lines will eventually be converted to SG.
Cheers, Mitchell Heard

South Australian Regional Rail Alliance
www.facebook.com/SARegionalRailAlliance
Heardy_101

Favourite Vehicle: 2000 Class Railcar (Jumbo)

Postby The Inspector » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:03 am

A depot at Blyth?

For waht purpose?
Has AdMet CB80 fever
The Inspector

Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Postby Heardy_101 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:26 am

It's for a fertilizer company that has been wanting rail access to the area for quite some time.

A few years ago another one wanted to set up shop near Robertstown or Eudunda when the tracks were still there, they asked for rail access and nearly got it but GWA had other ideas and removed all the tracks from Kapunda - Eudunda.
Cheers, Mitchell Heard

South Australian Regional Rail Alliance
www.facebook.com/SARegionalRailAlliance
Heardy_101

Favourite Vehicle: 2000 Class Railcar (Jumbo)

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Adelaide / SA