• Advertisement

The Random Admet Question Thread

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby transenthusiast » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:33 pm

Just wondering what does the B in B10/B12 & the C in C1/C2 stand for cos I've just about figured out all the others: AO - Adelaide Oval, G - Goodwood, H - Henley, J - Jet, M - Marion, X - Express.
transenthusiast
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby TA3001 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:12 pm

Bull---- and Complete bull----. These random alpha numeric route names have no place in Adelaide when they share roads with routes which have the 'old fashioned' names.

It was stupid to invent them in the first place. The only moderately tolerable example would be the J1.

But the current C1 just seems like a random selection by a 15 year old. Maybe it refers to serving stop C at TTP, but that's irrelevant with outbound runs.
User avatar
TA3001
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:01 pm
Location: Not on or at 1770.
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 73 times
Favourite Vehicle: Hills B58. In service - 1640

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby jibb » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:24 pm

TA3001 wrote:Bull---- and Complete bull----. These random alpha numeric route names have no place in Adelaide when they share roads with routes which have the 'old fashioned' names.

It was stupid to invent them in the first place. The only moderately tolerable example would be the J1.

But the current C1 just seems like a random selection by a 15 year old. Maybe it refers to serving stop C at TTP, but that's irrelevant with outbound runs.

C stands I believe for "City".
jibb
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: 265
Has thanked: 415 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby Eurostar » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:01 pm

transenthusiast wrote:Just wondering what does the B in B10/B12 & the C in C1/C2 stand for cos I've just about figured out all the others: AO - Adelaide Oval, G - Goodwood, H - Henley, J - Jet, M - Marion, X - Express.


In 2005/2006 "JetBus" services were numbered J1 (Elizabeth to Glenelg via Airport), J2 (Greenwith to Airport), J3 (Fairview Park to Airport). C1 and C2 only ran between Elizabeth/Greenwith to City.
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Eurostar
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 1:42 pm
Location: Adelaide Parklands Terminal
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby TA3001 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:28 pm

jibb wrote:C stands I believe for "City".


Sort of makes sense now, but there's still nothing to indicate that it only serves certain selected stops.

The old T530 name was more definitive, as is T502 rather than 502 which has the potential to be misinterpreted as an all stops service, when it is technically not.
User avatar
TA3001
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:01 pm
Location: Not on or at 1770.
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 73 times
Favourite Vehicle: Hills B58. In service - 1640

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby busrider » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:04 am

Part of the M44 is technically an F bus, but that's not mentioned in the route number either.
User avatar
busrider
Moderator
 
Posts: 2267
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Not in the Gutta
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 224 times
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby Route 506 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:24 pm

TA3001 wrote:Bull---- and Complete bull----. These random alpha numeric route names have no place in Adelaide when they share roads with routes which have the 'old fashioned' names.

It was stupid to invent them in the first place. The only moderately tolerable example would be the J1.

But the current C1 just seems like a random selection by a 15 year old. Maybe it refers to serving stop C at TTP, but that's irrelevant with outbound runs.


Beautifully put, very much agree with this!

I get that C1/C2 means those services now terminate in the City but so do how many others services...? T530 etc would be far more accurate and less confusing for passengers.

As I have said on here before, to me the F, T and X buses are fine as they represent a difference to a route. J1/J1X/J3 are reasonable as they are Airport services, and I guess same for J7/J8 although they could be classed as cross suburban routes and have their own number.

Otherwise scrap these ridiculous and confusing alpha numeric names and bring back proper route numbers.

I would personally much prefer to have a list of several numbers e.g. 210-218, T219 instead of G10, G10A, G22X, G30F etc as at least you know every individual route number has a slight variation, but easy to follow!
Now Running Express - Next Stop: City
Route 506
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: On the Next Bus
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 13 times
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby Skexis » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:53 pm

Route 506 wrote:...scrap these ridiculous and confusing alpha numeric names and bring back proper route numbers.

I would personally much prefer to have a list of several numbers e.g. 210-218, T219 instead of G10, G10A, G22X, G30F etc as at least you know every individual route number has a slight variation, but easy to follow!

You forgot to take the mindset of the travelling public into account. Many of them still miserably fail to recharge their Metrrocards and award themselves free rides simply by carrying on walking to the back of the bus instead of doing the right thing and buying an actual ticket. Multiple route number changes would be far too confusing for them.
Skexis
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby homer9000 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:13 am

the weird bit and i was on a 200 run by an o'bahn bus that continued as a 208 beyond the city was people validating tickets at the rear using the back doors.i thought that only applied to actual track services.
homer9000
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:00 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby TA3001 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:11 pm

homer9000 wrote:the weird bit and i was on a 200 run by an o'bahn bus that continued as a 208 beyond the city was people validating tickets at the rear using the back doors.i thought that only applied to actual track services.


I personally think at least some drivers need some strict reeducation about how it works, as I have intended to board an O'bahn bus at Paradise through the rear doors only to find them shut. If they are not attentive enough to look out for boarding passengers, then what I said.

All door boarding should be applicable whenever a bus fitted with validators in the doorways pulls up, not just when it suits the driver. There are a lot of O'bahn rigids out on regular shifts on weekends, and it would be better in my opinion if there weren't restrictions in regards to boarding through the rear on these vehicles. Passengers will need to look for the signs, otherwise it's obviously through the front only.
User avatar
TA3001
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:01 pm
Location: Not on or at 1770.
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 73 times
Favourite Vehicle: Hills B58. In service - 1640

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby Skexis » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Boarding times would be greatly improved if people stuck to front door entry/rear door exit at all times. Some of the old SG's had gates at the front of the bus that prevented people from exiting there. All this rear door rubbish is not going to help anyone in the long term.
Skexis
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby 2MSJ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:18 pm

Interested how you support that claim?
Cadet Coach Captain

"Who the **** is Windy?"
User avatar
2MSJ
 
Posts: 4308
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:16 pm
Location: 2MSJ Menai Depot
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 248 times
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O500

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby Skexis » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:36 am

If that's directed at me what clarification do you require?
Skexis
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby 2MSJ » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:24 pm

How you figure single door boarding is faster than all door boarding?
Cadet Coach Captain

"Who the **** is Windy?"
User avatar
2MSJ
 
Posts: 4308
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:16 pm
Location: 2MSJ Menai Depot
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 248 times
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O500

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby Skexis » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Simply because it routes the traffic in one direction only thereby eliminating clogging at the front door. Some people would still need to use the front doors in both directions but if there's no definite need then they should alight from the rear. One-way streets are designed to speed the flow of traffic so the principle should also work within the confines of a bus. Plus there are the issues around revenue protection as you've no way of seeing who validates at the rear so no driver is going to bother calling anyone out.

Also a correction as it wasn't the SG's that had the gates, it was some of the old Mercs although in R557 it only extended halfway across the gangway. Seem to remember a couple of the others had two gates.
Skexis
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby Skexis » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:20 pm

Noticed today that some stops have a square panel with black and yellow vertical lines fixed above the stop. What does/did this signify? For reference one is Stop 2 in O'Connell St outside the op shop and theres another in Sir Edwyn Smith Drive opposite the Womens and Children's
Skexis
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby TT » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:30 pm

The black and yellow striped signs at stops were used to indicate a compulsory stop back in the 60s and 70s, and probably earlier. From memory they were at stops that were timepoints and had Bundy clocks at them that drivers/conductors had to “punch” with a key. Most of them have disappeared over time, but I did notice the recent installation of the one on top of stop 2 down opposite the WCH. Stop 2 up in KW Rd has had a sign saying “compulsory stop” for several years, but doesn’t have the black and yellow stripes.
TT
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Adelaide [West Lakes]
Has thanked: 112 times
Been thanked: 77 times
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz 0500-LE

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby Eurostar » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:16 pm

I saw a car driver yesterday sit at traffic lights in the bus lane, she made the b light activate, I thought a wheel would have to be a certain weight or something to trigger the b light?
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Eurostar
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 1:42 pm
Location: Adelaide Parklands Terminal
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby jibb » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:34 pm

TT wrote:The black and yellow striped signs at stops were used to indicate a compulsory stop back in the 60s and 70s, and probably earlier. From memory they were at stops that were timepoints and had Bundy clocks at them that drivers/conductors had to “punch” with a key. Most of them have disappeared over time, but I did notice the recent installation of the one on top of stop 2 down opposite the WCH. Stop 2 up in KW Rd has had a sign saying “compulsory stop” for several years, but doesn’t have the black and yellow stripes.

These go back to the 40's and 50's.Trams black and silver stripes
jibb
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: 265
Has thanked: 415 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby Eagle Eye » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:01 am

Eurostar wrote:I saw a car driver yesterday sit at traffic lights in the bus lane, she made the b light activate, I thought a wheel would have to be a certain weight or something to trigger the b light?

The sensors are the same for all lanes. Sometimes the sensor in a Bus Lane might be just over a car length back from the stop line so a single car won't trigger a 'B' light, however this is not always the case.
$2,500 fines for vehicles illegally using red Bus Only lanes - could cut the state's debt real quickly if they extended that to regular Bus Lanes!
User avatar
Eagle Eye
 
Posts: 2315
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:24 pm
Location: Tunnel
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 138 times
Favourite Vehicle: High-floor bus

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby Skexis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:14 pm

Eagle Eye wrote:
Eurostar wrote:I saw a car driver yesterday sit at traffic lights in the bus lane, she made the b light activate, I thought a wheel would have to be a certain weight or something to trigger the b light?

The sensors are the same for all lanes. Sometimes the sensor in a Bus Lane might be just over a car length back from the stop line so a single car won't trigger a 'B' light, however this is not always the case.

B light sensors (and similar) are tripped by induction coils so anything generating a magnetic field over a certain level will set them off. Cyclists normally wont set them off however a trick is to tape a small length of conduit under the crank and put a couple of N45 magnets in it. Sets off all the sensors quite well.
Skexis
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Previous


  • Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Adelaide / SA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ouchjars and 2 guests