The Random Admet Question Thread

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
LowRider
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA MAN SL200

The Random Admet Question Thread

Post by LowRider »

Hi All,

I've noticed (as I'm sure most of you have too) that there has been a growing trend of random small questions that new people to the board have relating to the AdMet system. Well before now, the only way you'd get your question answered was to put the question in a thread where it doesn't belong (ie: the AdMet observations thread) or make a thread of its own (which really is a waste of space).

Just as an example of questions that would fit here would be like:
- Where would I find xxxx bus on what day?
- Why don't pothooks get changed?
- How come the tram doesn't go to Norwood?

So now you get the idea, if you have a question that you'd like to put forward to the knowledgable people on the board relating to anything random about AdMet, then post it in here!

PS: Mods, can you sticky this please?
Terrorising the Streets in an SL200!
Birdman
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N. SL202: TT-430
Location: Marion Rd, T.T.P., South Rd, O-Bahn, Salisbury Hwy, Paradise - or at work :(

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Post by Birdman »

Is this also OK for random comments?

I was thinking that I like the style of some of the Southlink destos, where it has 'via South Road' fixed while the top line cycles - this I think is really useful, and could be applied to the J-buses (sorry, I cannot remember which buses have this - maybe the 720?).

For example, a J1 departing Elizabeth could show "CITY then # Airport" (where # indicates a change from upper to lower line of text). Upon reaching the city, it could change to something like "Airport # via Don Bradman Dr" and "Airport # then Harbourtown" and "Airport # then Glenelg" - and at the airport, it could finally change to "Glenelg # via Harbourtown". This way it could always display Airport when it is going that way, but not mention airport at all once it has passed it (as how are people from interstate expected to know the tricky details of our system?).

These are just suggestions as I can't be bothered right now figuring out how many letters will fit, and so don't know if I've exceeded my text allowance (for the desto messages)... but one of you guys will know :wink: Just a thought.
Good example of a concise radio call that I have heard: "J2G, T.T.P."
LowRider

Post by LowRider »

Well, its a random question/comment that you asked, so sure why not.

As for that desto idea, that would involve the driver changing the desto a silly amount of times, so not likely to occur I'd say.
Birdman
Location: Marion Rd, T.T.P., South Rd, O-Bahn, Salisbury Hwy, Paradise - or at work :(

Post by Birdman »

LowRider wrote:As for that desto idea, that would involve the driver changing the desto a silly amount of times, so not likely to occur I'd say.
Here I disagree - the bus has to stop at the airport anyway (or at least go up the ramp) - this is the only extra place the desto needs to be changed compared to what happens normally. This is just my personal opinion, naturally. :)
LowRider

Post by LowRider »

Birdman wrote:
LowRider wrote:As for that desto idea, that would involve the driver changing the desto a silly amount of times, so not likely to occur I'd say.
Here I disagree - the bus has to stop at the airport anyway (or at least go up the ramp) - this is the only extra place the desto needs to be changed compared to what happens normally. This is just my personal opinion, naturally. :)
I think the main issue are these ridiculously long routes that go to so many place you can't put them all on the Desto's. I would imagine for instance, when the tram extension is complete their destinations will only read GLENELG//Moseley Square and HINDMARSH//Ent Centre and thats it. Perhaps it might say Via City on it, but its an example of a simple desto for people to utilise without mentioning everything.

J1's perhaps need to be a bit like that where they say GLENELG// V/City & Airport and thats it. They don't need to list every single last place they go to. But again, thats just me
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

LowRider wrote: - How come the tram doesn't go to Norwood?
Becouse there is no tram line to Norwood for them to run along :twisted:
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

LowRider wrote:They don't need to list every single last place they go to. But again, thats just me
Quite right - my point was that airport buses need to make it clear that they are airport buses as people from elsewhere do not always understand the system that all of us locals understand so well, and they would use the airport buses if they can figure out which bus to get (if they cannot, they will use a taxi).
Route 723F
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA artic CB60

Post by Route 723F »

Ok heres a random question, what are section points actually used for and how are they determined how far apart each section point is?
Lonsdale depot- serving the south
The Inspector

Post by The Inspector »

Route 723F wrote:Ok heres a random question, what are section points actually used for and how are they determined how far apart each section point is?
Adelaide use to have section fares, your fare was set by how many sections you use to travel where as now you pay the same fare for 1 section as you do the entire length of the route.

This is atleast one use of sections but there may be a few others that I am not aware off.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Route 723F
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA artic CB60

Post by Route 723F »

thanks inspector, so are the sections still relevant for use today or is it easier to just keep using them instead of removing them
Lonsdale depot- serving the south
nscaler69

Post by nscaler69 »

2 section tickets still exist. See Adelaide Metro explanation for current use.
Anagram: Timetable - bet I'm late
bentleyv8t
Favourite Vehicle: Adelaide Mercedes O305G #545

Post by bentleyv8t »

Rode on 1219. Made a loud whining / howling sound as the revs got higher.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

as a general "Rule of thumb"; sections are approximately 1 mile (1.6km) apart. There are instances however where sections are longer or shorter than this distance.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
STA 1440
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA B10M 1440/2405

Post by STA 1440 »

bentleyv8t wrote:Rode on 1219. Made a loud whining / howling sound as the revs got higher.
It was probably the transmission. :wink:
User 5795

The Volvo B59 PMC

Post by User 5795 »

That long sideways seats on the old Volvo B59 did PMC get the idea from the H Class trams
User 5795

Fleet No. 700

Post by User 5795 »

In the year 2000 there was a bus with the fleet number 700 it was around Elizabeth area, it had either a single door or no door at the back, does anyone know what the make and model of the bus.
Dave C
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Re: Fleet No. 700

Post by Dave C »

BihetM wrote:In the year 2000 there was a bus with the fleet number 700 it was around Elizabeth area, it had either a single door or no door at the back, does anyone know what the make and model of the bus.
Serco Dennis Dart SLF Volgren 'CR221L'

http://www.busaustralia.com/fleetlists/ ... eqtype=955
The Inspector

Re: Fleet No. 700

Post by The Inspector »

BihetM wrote:In the year 2000 there was a bus with the fleet number 700 it was around Elizabeth area, it had either a single door or no door at the back, does anyone know what the make and model of the bus.
There were 2 of these, 700 & 701. They had a double leaf front door only, no centre door & they were new to Serco then moved onto Torrens Transit before heading interstate.

There were another 2 of the same type with Southlink, these came from Perth and had centre doors, they eventualy returned to Perth where they are still in service.

The only other Dennis Dart was new to Whyalla City Transport and had front doors only. Its still in Whyalla but operated By Des's Cabe or whatever their name is as they now operate the town service.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
LowRider

Re: The Volvo B59 PMC

Post by LowRider »

BihetM wrote:That long sideways seats on the old Volvo B59 did PMC get the idea from the H Class trams
Um, i don't think anyone would get the answer to that? But suffice to say, I doubt it as the design of the sideways seat on the H Class is nothing like the design on the B59's which was the same as on the Swifts and other similarly bodied buses. For starters, the H Class sideways seats had a storage area under it when you lifted the seat up! lol
User 5795

Just another madic Monday

Post by User 5795 »

On Monday when i go out to Elizabeth or Salisbury i often see some old MAN SL200 out more than any other day of the week. Whats the reason - is it to give the old buses a good run or is it how the scheduling works.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

I'm sure it's just whatever's scheduled on that day, I see SL200's in Southlink area every day, although they do seem to be out more during weekdays, but that'd be because they need more buses out on the weekdays...
baytram366
Favourite Vehicle: H type tram

Post by baytram366 »

A few times during the last 2 months, I have seen an old MAN SL200 travelling around the Greenhill Road / Fullaton Road area. It still has its admet colours on excpet for the red stripe I think. Didn't get a better look as I was working ( :lol: ) at the time. Anyone know who now owns this bus or what its used for?? My best guess is school runs as I see it in the moring around 10am sometimes...
baytram366's Flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/
Adelaide Trams Flickr Pool - www.flickr.com/groups/adelaidetrams/
Adelaide Trams Yahoo Group - http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/adelaidetrams
User 5795

ATE - Southlink & Transitplus

Post by User 5795 »

In my list of updated adelaide plans i have proposed 400 City to Mawson Lakes via M.North Road & M.L Bvd, 401 City to Mawson Lakes via M.North Rd & Park Way. Southlink & Transitplus are both part of ATE, could my 400 & 401 go thru to the 861 via Glen Osmond Road.
LowRider

Post by LowRider »

baytram366 wrote:A few times during the last 2 months, I have seen an old MAN SL200 travelling around the Greenhill Road / Fullaton Road area. It still has its admet colours on excpet for the red stripe I think. Didn't get a better look as I was working ( :lol: ) at the time. Anyone know who now owns this bus or what its used for?? My best guess is school runs as I see it in the moring around 10am sometimes...
Sure it wasnt just the blue triangle thats painted silver? Then it'd be a Circuitlink ala Trampline bus that is used by Ace Coachlines.
LowRider

Re: ATE - Southlink & Transitplus

Post by LowRider »

BihetM wrote:In my list of updated adelaide plans i have proposed 400 City to Mawson Lakes via M.North Road & M.L Bvd, 401 City to Mawson Lakes via M.North Rd & Park Way. Southlink & Transitplus are both part of ATE, could my 400 & 401 go thru to the 861 via Glen Osmond Road.
Nope, because TransitPlus is a joint venture between ATE and TransAdelaide, so not the same company.

Also SL200's are out most days, and obviously on weekends the services are less so they don't really need to use them since they can use the fleet of low-floors.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”