[Apr 09] AdMet Observations

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Norman
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Re: [Apr 09] AdMet Observations

Post by Norman »

howlerbus wrote:
Norman wrote:I was on 1211 the other day, sounded like something was very wrong with it.
1211 sounded alright to me yesterday, so they must have fixed whatever was wrong with it.
This is what it sounded like:
http://cid-8ac526a53435b646.skydrive.li ... 201211.wav
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

It doesn't sound too good in your recording, but I also rode it yesterday (I was with howlerbus when he rode it yesterday) and it sounded fine, it certainly didn't sound like that...
ScaniaK124EB
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M/Scania K124EB

Post by ScaniaK124EB »

At Around 6:55pm Tonight i saw 2207 heading south along Goodwood Rd Past the AMF Bowling Alley... It was showing Not In Service and it had people on board
This Is The Southern Service To Bognor Regis Calling At Clapham Junction East Croydon And Gatwick Airport Where The Train Will Fly Off The Rails
jibb

Post by jibb »

O'Bahn Scania 1420 was being prepared for a long tow to St Agnes depot from Marion Road Plympton late this afternoon after what appeared to be a small fire somewhere near the left front end wheel arch .
The Mayor
Favourite Vehicle: (SA) VOLVO B59.

Post by The Mayor »

jibb wrote:O'Bahn Scania 1420 was being prepared for a long tow to St Agnes depot from Marion Road Plympton late this afternoon after what appeared to be a small fire somewhere near the left front end wheel arch .
Gee whizz! I have never come across so many fires involving buses before. It seem to be almost a weekly occurrence. :roll: Is it the materials being used in these new vehicles? It is a design flaw? Is it lack of maintenance? Is it all of the above?

Whilst on the subject of buses, has anyone noticed the number of AdelaideMetro buses that are crabbing? There are plenty of Torrens buses crabbing and a few SouthLink ones also especially the NL202's. However, some 18.280's seem to be crabbing also.

Anyone else noticed this odd bus behaviour? I am not very mechanically minded so could someone enlighten me as to what causes this and is it dangerous if left unattended?
ALWAYS STRIVING TO MAKE ADELAIDE & SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY
ALL COMMENTS MADE ON THIS FORUM ARE THE EXPRESS OPINION OF MYSELF ONLY AND NOT OF MY EMPLOYER
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

The Mayor wrote:
Whilst on the subject of buses, has anyone noticed the number of AdelaideMetro buses that are crabbing? There are plenty of Torrens buses crabbing and a few SouthLink ones also especially the NL202's. However, some 18.280's seem to be crabbing also.
Please excuse my ignorance here, but what is crabbing?
marc506

Post by marc506 »

howlerbus wrote:
Norman wrote:I was on 1211 the other day, sounded like something was very wrong with it.
1211 sounded alright to me yesterday, so they must have fixed whatever was wrong with it.
you mean it's not a Scania anymore? :twisted:
LowRider
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA MAN SL200

Post by LowRider »

The Mayor wrote: Whilst on the subject of buses, has anyone noticed the number of AdelaideMetro buses that are crabbing? There are plenty of Torrens buses crabbing and a few SouthLink ones also especially the NL202's. However, some 18.280's seem to be crabbing also.

Anyone else noticed this odd bus behaviour? I am not very mechanically minded so could someone enlighten me as to what causes this and is it dangerous if left unattended?
I have noticed this with NL202's as well. Crabbing is generally caused by a misalignment of the front and rear axles, that is, they are not both tracking in the same straight line.

Usually its due to worn suspension components that allow the rear axle to "float" and thus not be centered, or perfectly sitting in the rear of the chassis, thus meaning that slight steering input is required for the bus to go straight.

I wouldn't say its overly dangerous unless there is alot of steering needed to make the bus track straight. Still, they shouldn't be crabbing at all. It can be fixed with a wheel alignment (or rear axle alignment). I'd hazzard a guess the reason they crab is from having the rear axle smashed into gutters which would disrupt the alignment. The most it really would cause is premature/uneven tyre wear.

TA3001 - Crabbing is where a vehicle is slightly turned in the physical sense (ie the body is point off on a diagonal) but the direction of travel is still straight.
Terrorising the Streets in an SL200!
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

I saw 437 (I think) during the week on Port Road, with guide arms but no guide wheels. As this is a Morphettville bus, any chance it will be used for Belair rail subs?
Halfie
Favourite Vehicle: E-E 900, PMC MAN SL202d

Post by Halfie »

Eagle Eye wrote:I saw 437 (I think) during the week on Port Road, with guide arms but no guide wheels. As this is a Morphettville bus, any chance it will be used for Belair rail subs?
437 is now a Camden bus. I believe it was removed from the track as a result of the damage sustained in the incident with a Merc in town a while back.

All the sub buses will be low floors. Some more ex-St agnes Scanias were due at Morpettville on Friday night, sans guide wheels.
Buscrazy
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.280 HOCL NL

Post by Buscrazy »

Yep! thats true Halfie. I drove 1229 yesterday for the whole afternoon.

We now have 1220-1223, 1225, 1226, 1229. Still waiting on 1224, 1227, and 1228.
If it isn't safe, don't do it!

Im Develicious

I Love You <3 <3 <3
Leigh
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202 with a ZF

Post by Leigh »

jibb wrote:O'Bahn Scania 1420 was being prepared for a long tow to St Agnes depot from Marion Road Plympton late this afternoon after what appeared to be a small fire somewhere near the left front end wheel arch .
This is now the fifth Euro V Scania to catch on fire. Apparently its caused by the front brakes overheating and ultimately catching on fire. It has nothing to do with TT, its just one of the many Scania design faults.
ScaniaK124EB
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M/Scania K124EB

Post by ScaniaK124EB »

Leigh wrote:
This is now the fifth Euro V Scania to catch on fire. Apparently its caused by the front brakes overheating and ultimately catching on fire. It has nothing to do with TT, its just one of the many Scania design faults.
Hmm That isnt Good At all But i guess that would also explain why the have heavy retarders in them to minimise the use of the brakes
This Is The Southern Service To Bognor Regis Calling At Clapham Junction East Croydon And Gatwick Airport Where The Train Will Fly Off The Rails
Route 723F
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA artic CB60

Post by Route 723F »

Just a question regarding the FX4 and FX13 footy express services, after last nights match at aami stadium noticed a couple murray bridge passenger service buses and barrossa coaches operating these services as per the timetables but what is the reason behind this? thanks
Lonsdale depot- serving the south
Crispy!
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O405NH

Post by Crispy! »

Buscrazy wrote:Yep! thats true Halfie. I drove 1229 yesterday for the whole afternoon.

1227 is at Mile End , it was on a Mile End shift on friday night.
BUSWAY EQUIPPED:
PLEASE CHECK GUIDEWHEELS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

Route 723F wrote:Just a question regarding the FX4 and FX13 footy express services, after last nights match at aami stadium noticed a couple murray bridge passenger service buses and barrossa coaches operating these services as per the timetables but what is the reason behind this? thanks
They now operate very closely with SouthLink / TransitPlus services because everything is now owned by ATE (Australian Transport Enterprises). I suppose one day you may actually find Admet buses going to these destinations if we can get Murray Bridge and the Barossa into the Admet system!
ALWAYS STRIVING TO MAKE ADELAIDE & SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY
ALL COMMENTS MADE ON THIS FORUM ARE THE EXPRESS OPINION OF MYSELF ONLY AND NOT OF MY EMPLOYER
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Nathan C wrote:
Buscrazy wrote:Yep! thats true Halfie. I drove 1229 yesterday for the whole afternoon.

1227 is at Mile End , it was on a Mile End shift on friday night.
1227 was only there as a changeover cos 1012 encountered a few problems. They were swapped back on Saturday night.
Route 723F
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA artic CB60

Post by Route 723F »

thanks mayor, thats what i thought may be the case, wouldnt it be nice to be able to travel to these areas on a metroticket
Lonsdale depot- serving the south
Bushwacker
Favourite Vehicle: Dropcentre Tram F Type
Location: Port Augusta, Quorn, Hawker, Leigh Creek or Whyalla

Post by Bushwacker »

Finally got to meet the Mayor by sheer unadulterated luck. We were in the front bar of the Hawker Hotel yesterday and someone asked this fella if he still drove buses. He replied yes from Lonsdale.

Upon listening to other bits and pieces decided that this must be the Mayor. great to put a face to the name. Great meeting you and hope to catch up again soon.
Wandering aimlessly around the Flinders Ranges looking for ELVIS.
YoungRooster

Post by YoungRooster »

1230 is now without Guidewheels, but still a St Agnes Bus... for now..

Any more new arrivals at St Agnes Leigh??

Cheers
:)
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

YoungRooster wrote:1230 is now without Guidewheels, but still a St Agnes Bus... for now..

Cheers
Nothing yet! Last i heard there were about 8 or so K230's sitting at Scania's though.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

2811 has suffered some rear damage on the right hand side at the bottom. Looks like it was hit by a car. A small-medium piece of the body is missing.
Furthermore to previous reports about tram extension work along North Terrace, trees have been removed from Bonython Park alongside Port Road, and there is an area about 20 metres wide fenced off where the trees were.
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

Leigh wrote:
YoungRooster wrote:1230 is now without Guidewheels, but still a St Agnes Bus... for now..

Cheers
Nothing yet! Last i heard there were about 8 or so K230's sitting at Scania's though.
You might find they are destined for SouthLink. Lonsdale and Elizabeth are going to get some. Lonsdale 6 and Eliz 3 then in the next batch it will be the other way round.

Unless the Goal Posts have moved again since I was given this info. :roll:
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

The Mayor wrote:You might find they are destined for SouthLink. Lonsdale and Elizabeth are going to get some. Lonsdale 6 and Eliz 3 then in the next batch it will be the other way round.

Unless the Goal Posts have moved again since I was given this info. :roll:
Sorry Mayor, they all have dome lights so i reckon they're destined for the O-Bahn!
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Ex TT 1942 now TransitPlus 1942 (same number) seen doing a School Bus run on North East Road, Modbury this afternoon. I believe this bus has been with TP for a while but hasn't been renumbered.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”