• Advertisement

HISTORY of ADELAIDE - BUS, TRAIN & TRAM ROUTES

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion

Re: HISTORY of ADELAIDE - BUS, TRAIN & TRAM ROUTES

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:48 am

and before that there was the 197 and 198 (and the many suffixes that came with them) that operated from the city to old reynella via the current 197x, then the 600 and 601 routes to aberfoyle hub and then the g21 to old reynella.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 867, 868.
Adelaide Metro Photography. For all your Adelaide bus photo needs.
Lt. Commander Data

Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Postby Eurostar » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:03 am

Lt. Commander Data wrote:and before that there was the 197 and 198 (and the many suffixes that came with them) that operated from the city to old reynella via the current 197x, then the 600 and 601 routes to aberfoyle hub and then the g21 to old reynella.

And on google map street view the Happy Valley (Windebanks Road terminus) is still there. What's it used for now?
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Eurostar

Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Postby jibb » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:23 am

The old terminus hasn't been used for a long time now,since the restructuring of Aberfoyle Park services.
jibb

Postby Eurostar » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:42 pm

Nowadays the 415 is hourly during interpeak, was the service more frequent when it started, or former 544 (between Golden Grove and Salisbury)
Eurostar

Postby thedom » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:16 am

thedom

Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:04 pm

I knew that when they were first introduced, the 2000s had route numbers in them. Does anyone know which went where?
Last person on 867, 868.
Lt. Commander Data

Postby busrider » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:45 pm

This is what I've found going through my timetables, if anyone has further information then they're quite welcome to add it. All routes start from the city unless otherwise mentioned.

41 - Salisbury
42 - Northfield, eventually cut back to Dry Creek when the Northfield branch line closed in 1987
43 - Penfield
44 - GMH Elizabeth
45 - Gawler
46 - North Gawler (now known as Gawler Central)
51 - Outer Harbor to Dry Creek
52 - Port Adelaide to Dry Creek?
54 - Outer Harbor to GMH Elizabeth
61 - Grange
63 - Outer Harbor
71 - Tonsley
72 - Brighton
73 - Noarlunga Centre
81 - Mile End Plant Depot? (Mile End Goods?)
82 - Belair
83 - Bridgewater
Last edited by busrider on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
busrider

Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:51 pm

Could 62 have been for Osbourne/Granville/Pt Adelaide short workings? Then theoretically 81 could have been Blackwood or something...
Last person on 867, 868.
Lt. Commander Data

Postby busrider » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:01 pm

There's a reference on the back of one timetable to an 81 which went to Mile End Plant Depot, however I don't seem to have an actual timetable for that route. Also reference to a 52 which went Port Adelaide to Dry Creek, which also doesn't seem to appear on any of my other timetables...
busrider

Postby The Phonj » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:02 pm

Busrider; I approve of your comprehensive listing, just a couple of notes on this list

41 was originally Islington Works; however when train services directly into the Workshops ceased the number was vacated and ultimately used for Salisbury trains - the first instance in my public timetable records shows this as being from 1/5/88.

Mile End Plant Depot was within the environs of the former Mile End railway yards; not the former Mile End Goods station on the main passenger lines.

I would suspect that as the numbers were introduced at a similar time to the introduction of the Jumbos; 62 would have originally been Port Dock - the site of the current railway museum (although I have no proof of this - the only public timetable I have with Port Dock included on a map omits route numbers). I have an inkling that it was ultimately used for Glanville terminators (again, I have no immediate proof of this - it was never shown on public timetables as such).

While Outer Harbor line (public) timetables from 13/9/81 to 12/2/84 show Outer Harbor to Dry Creek as being 51, the timetable dated 3/11/86 shows route 54 being for both Outer Harbor to GMH Elizabeth and to Dry Creek.

Finally, the use of route numbers on public timetables appears to cease after 1992.

There was more to the route numbers on Jumbos than the two digit number; they did have a letter following them as follows:

On the Gawler Central line:

'A' - Stopping all stations
'B' - Stopping Salisbury, then all stations
'D' - Stopping Dry Creek, then all stations
'E' - Stopping Salisbury - Elizabeth - Womma - Gawler - Gawler Oval
'F' - Stopping Greenfields, then all stations

On the Dry Creek - Port Adelaide line:

On the Grange / Outer Harbor lines:

'C' - Stopping Woodvile, then all stations
'E' - Stopping Elhelton, then all stations
'G' - Grange line passengers change at Woodville

On the Noarlunga Centre / Tonsley lines:

'B' - Stopping Oaklands, Brighton, then all stations
'C' - Stopping Brighton, then all stations
'D' - Stopping Goodwood, then all stations
'E' - Stopping Brighton, Hallett Cove Beach, then all stations
'F' - Stopping Woodlands Park, then all stations
'G' - Stopping Brighton, Hallett Cove, Hallett Cove Beach, then all stations

On the Belair/Bridgewater line:

'B' - Stopping Mitcham, Eden Hills then all stations
'D' - Stopping Goodwood, then all stations
'E' - Stopping Blackwood, Belair, then all stations

Sources:

State Transport Authority Working Timetable - Book #26 (General Instruction and Addenda to Working Timetable - 9 October 1988)

State Transport Authority Working Timetable - Book #15 (General Instruction and Addenda to Working Timetable - 12 February 1984)
Get the Firefox internet browser at: http://www.firefox.com
Watch out for ghostly bus drivers!
The Phonj
Administrator

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200, PMCSA body

Postby busrider » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:37 pm

Thank you for the more elaborate information, I must admit that there are gaps in my timetable collection, so apologies for any information that may have been incorrect/absent from my post.

The train route letters didn't appear to be ever listed in public timetables, surely this might've caused some confusion for members of the public back then?

I have a rail network map from April 1981 coinciding with timetable changes, and it mentions that Port Dock Station was closed then, is it possible that Port Dock never had a route number, because Jumbos aren't likely to have ever gone there?

Mile End Plant Depot, there's very little information about it online and it only rated a mention once in a timetable I've got. Ironically, it was to point out that the timetable for services to Mile End Plant Depot wasn't shown on that particular timetable.
busrider

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:21 pm

I remember seeing a picture with a Jumbo displaying a number (can't remember which one) and the letter "X". Did any line use the letter "X" for Express services, or was it "Not In Service"?
Last person on 867, 868.
Lt. Commander Data

Postby The Phonj » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:45 am

"00X" was displayed before the introduction of route numbers on Jumbos
The Phonj
Administrator

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:59 pm

Not sure if this should be in the question thread, but as its a historical question I'll put it here.

I was looking at the old 281/283 timetable last night, and am wondering what the point of the 283/283V was. The 283 ended at stop 16 Wilpena Ave (Windsor Gardens) and ran every hour on weekdays (providing a 1/2 hour frequency to stop 16 with the 281), and the 283V at stop 13 Harris rd (Vale Park, a total of 5 less stops). After 27/09/09 the 283 was moved to the then ex-283V terminus, and operated at the same times, with the 'normal' 283 services extended to PBI as route 281. I'm assuming the 283 was replaced with the 281K (weekends/public holidays only),which runs at about the same frequency. Also an interesting note with the 281/3 services back then- they went down Currie and Grenfell Streets (through linked with 167/168), as opposed to North Tce now (through linked with 286/287/288).

Mostly curious as to why TT bothered with a 283V on weekends/pub hols, as it was only 5 stops shorter than the 283.
Last person on 867, 868.
Lt. Commander Data

Postby The Phonj » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:19 pm

It probably was aimed at retaining the half hour service along Walkerville on weekends which would have otherwise have been lost once the 282 was removed, providing a decent level of service to persons using the Levi Caravan Park which is adjacant to stop 13 in Harris Rd.

Furthermore I have a recollection that the original 283 to stop 16 Wilpena Ave was weekday peak services only. With the service running all day on weekends a bus would need to be able to turn around to commence a return trip - the roundabout there I doubt would be suitable for all bus types to U-turn and the only nearby turnaround facility that I can think of would be the 291 terminus at Marden without using side streets that are not regularly traversed by buses. Alternatatively, drivers shifts may have had a terminating 283V run across to the Marden terminus to commence a 291 or v.v.
The Phonj
Administrator

Postby Jumbles » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:56 am

Through the 30's and 40's when Adelaide was full of Trams, was the Glenelg Tram (or any other tram) "through-running", or did it always terminate at Vic Sq?

If it did run through, were the city stops in roughly the same places as the extended route, and where would it run through to? Enfield and Kilburn?
Jumbles

Favourite Vehicle: Unicycle

Postby jibb » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:21 am

Jumbles wrote:Through the 30's and 40's when Adelaide was full of Trams, was the Glenelg Tram (or any other tram) "through-running", or did it always terminate at Vic Sq?

If it did run through, were the city stops in roughly the same places as the extended route, and where would it run through to? Enfield and Kilburn?

It did terminate at Victoria Square(it never connected to any other route).A couple of early morning and last 2 services ran to/from the Railway Station.
jibb

Postby paulgersche » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:21 pm

On occasions, the actual tram cars themselves were used on other routes. I have seen number of photos of them on Kensington Gardens to Henley Beach route, as well as one in KW St showing "Cheltenham" .

Regards,

Paul
paulgersche

Postby leyland4ever » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:55 pm

The H cars were used on the City-Henley North line from about 1931 or 32 - the Glenelg line did not need 30 cars, except on Morphettville race days or special days at Glenelg, such as Proclamation Day etc.

They provided all the off-peak runs, and some (but by no means all) peak hour extras.

Until May 1952, there was no direct connection across King William Street from Currie St to Grenfell St and vice versa - all other directions were possible.

A couple of peak hour runs were run by coupled sets in each peak.

The Henley North and Hilton/Richmond routes terminated in Currie Street just west of King William Street, and the Kensington Gardens, Magill/Rostrevor/Morialta, and Burnside/Erindale and Linden Park routes terminated in Grenfell Street, just east of King William Street.

In May 1952, the Burnside/Erindale/Linden Park services were replaced by motor buses, travelling via Hindley and Rundle Streets, and thrn converted to trolleybuses over the next few months.

At the same time, tracks were laid across King William Street (and the inner curves removed) - this was done between last car on a Saturday night, and first car on the Sunday, remembering that service did not commence until around 1.00 pm on Sundays.

From that date, until the closure of the lines in February 1957, Richmond was linked through to Magill/Morialta, and Henley North to Kensington Gardens.

H cars (and the H1,381) provided all off-peak services on the full route from Kensington Gardens to Henley North & vice versa, as well as some peak hour extras. Coupled car operation ceased from that date.

When the Henley North/Kensington Gardens lines were closed in February 1957, H cars switched to the Cheltenham-Wayville West line, again providing the off-peak services, and some peak extras. However, this did not last long. Apparently the H cars used more power than the droppies, and this caused some problems with the power supply, so droppies resumed providing most services, with a few peak hour runs using H cars.

The practice of running some late-night and early morning Glenelg cars from the Railway Station on North Terrace started during the Second World War, and was for the benefit of munition workers at Finsbury. The practice continued after the War until July 1958 - thereafter all cars started and ended in Victoria Square, until the recent extensions.

Cheers,

Trevor
leyland4ever

Postby Eurostar » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:31 pm

Flinders Medical Centre is 40 years young this year.

When were the bus routes to service the hospital?

When was the bus interchange built?

When was the first proposals to extend the Tonsley Line to the area?
Eurostar

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:51 pm

Does anyone have any info on route 823's history? I know it's history from 2005 onwards, but I'm more interested from it's introduction until '05. I'm guessing it's a newer route, as there is no mention of it in the 820, 821, 824>828 history.

Thanks in advance,

Data.
Last person on 867, 868.
Lt. Commander Data

Postby leccy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:53 pm

Eurostar wrote:Flinders Medical Centre is 40 years young this year.

Working as always from my very shaky memory...

When I was a kid in Noarlunga back in the 70s. FMC was the hospital for the area. I remember having to get their by bus and it was a pain to get to. The 721 bus stopped on Main South Road and it seemed a looong hike up the hill to the hospital.

The only bus that actually stopped there at the time was the 611 which is a predecessor of the current 720 (and completely unrelated to the original 720, but that's another story). The 611 ran from the City via Burbridge Road (ie Sir Donald Bradman Drive) then left South Road to Darlington, diverted into the hospital, then back to South Road, right Seacombe Road, right Miller Street then straight onto Diagonal Road to Marion Shopping Centre. The 611 alternated with a 612 which was South Road, right Sturt Road, left Marion Road, left Melbourne Street, right Diagonal Road then to Marion Shopping Centre. This meant that there wasn't a great service to the hospital.

Some time later in the early 80s, there was a service review and the once-daily 882 (Marion Shopping Centre to Flagstaff Hill/Aberfoyle Park) was cancelled and replaced with the 609 (Marion Shopping Centre to Blackwood via FMC) with connection to the 881 City to Aberfoyle Park service at FMC. This was only the second service to the hospital.

I couldn't say when there was a major change and all the southern services started to use the hospital stop, but if I had to guess I would say early 90s.

I have a vague memory that there were ticket challenges using the 734 and 611 to get to Flinders. I think the 734 was zones 2 and 3 and the 611 zones 1 and 2 with the hospital in zone 2. You could get there OK but coming back I don't know if the 611 could issue zone 2/3 tickets.

Something like that, anyway.
An enthusiast can be professional too, but any comment here is a personal comment only.
leccy

Postby Guy_Arab » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:14 pm

I have the History of Adelaide Trolleybus system Chris Steele gave me when I was searching Trolleybus History of Australia
Guy Arab
Guy_Arab

Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Postby Tom » Sun May 01, 2016 3:00 pm

leccy wrote:
Eurostar wrote:Flinders Medical Centre is 40 years young this year.

Working as always from my very shaky memory...

When I was a kid in Noarlunga back in the 70s. FMC was the hospital for the area. I remember having to get their by bus and it was a pain to get to. The 721 bus stopped on Main South Road and it seemed a looong hike up the hill to the hospital.

The only bus that actually stopped there at the time was the 611 which is a predecessor of the current 720 (and completely unrelated to the original 720, but that's another story). The 611 ran from the City via Burbridge Road (ie Sir Donald Bradman Drive) then left South Road to Darlington, diverted into the hospital, then back to South Road, right Seacombe Road, right Miller Street then straight onto Diagonal Road to Marion Shopping Centre. The 611 alternated with a 612 which was South Road, right Sturt Road, left Marion Road, left Melbourne Street, right Diagonal Road then to Marion Shopping Centre. This meant that there wasn't a great service to the hospital.

Some time later in the early 80s, there was a service review and the once-daily 882 (Marion Shopping Centre to Flagstaff Hill/Aberfoyle Park) was cancelled and replaced with the 609 (Marion Shopping Centre to Blackwood via FMC) with connection to the 881 City to Aberfoyle Park service at FMC. This was only the second service to the hospital.

I couldn't say when there was a major change and all the southern services started to use the hospital stop, but if I had to guess I would say early 90s.

I have a vague memory that there were ticket challenges using the 734 and 611 to get to Flinders. I think the 734 was zones 2 and 3 and the 611 zones 1 and 2 with the hospital in zone 2. You could get there OK but coming back I don't know if the 611 could issue zone 2/3 tickets.

Something like that, anyway.

I did a bit of digging through old timetables and the 611 was the first service to FMC, starting 29/8/77 and running daily.

Routes 700 721 725 871 and 881 via FMC on weekdays only, generally 9am to 5pm starting from 18/4/83.
700 721 725 871 Saturday from 26/11/83.
721 725 Nights/Sundays/Public Holidays from 20/11/83.
most AM and PM peak trips bypassed FMC.

Route 609 started on 13/2/84 with only a few trips a day, 882 ceased 10/2/84.

700 871 and 881 started running night and Sunday, PH from 22/9/85 most trips via FMC.

881 was renumbered 218 on 1/5/88 and service increased.

609 610 700 871 872 were renumbered 739 728 722 727 737 on 20/8/89, 611 and 612 combined into one route, 720 via Burbridge Rd, South Rd, FMC, Sturt Rd, Marion Rd, Melbourne St, Diagonal Rd, Seacombe Rd, Miller St, Diagonal Rd, Sturt Rd to Marion Shops. Most trips on routes 721 722 725 run via FMC.

Hope this helps.
Tom

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305 and O305G

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Sun May 08, 2016 7:10 pm

The Mayor wrote:Here is a list of some of the more obscure route numbers that have graced Adelaide's public transport scene over the years. Would you like to know a little more detailed information on some of these routes, some were well established others were simply short workings used mainly in peak hour and for special events.

2H, 3R, 4D, 5A, 6A, 7F, 9B, 10A, 11A, 13A, 14A, 14R, 16A, 17A, 19A, 20C, 21A, 21E, 23A, 23J, 26D, 27C, 28A, 28E, 29A, 29K, 30E, 33G, 81, 114, 121, 131, 144, 157, 199, 211, 223, 227C, 229A, 242, 251, 261, 302, 309, 310, 320, 322A, 344, 350, 403, 406, 410, 420, 431, 432, 440A, 490, *500, *501, 504, *507, 521, 531, 540E, 550, 551, 552, 561, 571, 572, 573, 609, 651, 665, 673, 699, 700, 704, 741H, 805, 810, 821A, 826A, 827, 844, 861, 866, 870, 880, 881E, 882, 910.

*these routes are not associated with current services operating.

I know this is an old post, but I was reading through this thread today and was wondering whether anyone knows anything about the 805 (not the current LinkSA one), 810, 844 or 866 (not the current one)?
Last person on 867, 868.
Lt. Commander Data

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Adelaide / SA