Cheap bus fares for shoppers going into the Mall

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
marc506

Cheap bus fares for shoppers going into the Mall

Post by marc506 »

Dr Bob Such was on the ABC this morning talking about the ACC's latest attempt to do something with the Mall to encourage people in to shop there.

One of his ideas was that shoppers should be get cheap bus fares to encourage them to shop in the city.

wonder if I'm the only who thinks this an utterly stupid idea and shows how out touch some politicians are?

Apart from the practicality of it, why would you need cheap bus fares? You can get an adult day tripper allowing you to take the kids for about the same price is cost (or less) than it costs to park your car!!
The Mayor
Favourite Vehicle: (SA) VOLVO B59.

Post by The Mayor »

The DayTrip ticket is not marketed enough. Many people who do not use public transport regularly are simply not aware of its existence.

When it is mentioned to them their response is usually "ahh I had no idea".

I think AdelaideMetro needs to do a lot more in this area.

Having cheaper fares? I dont know but simpler fares, yes! $1.10, $1.90, $3.80 is crap and ultimately means drivers (like myself) go through 10c & 20c pieces like they are going out of fashion. $1, 2, $3.50 is much easier to deal with.

Gotta love our fearless leaders though! :roll:
ALWAYS STRIVING TO MAKE ADELAIDE & SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY
ALL COMMENTS MADE ON THIS FORUM ARE THE EXPRESS OPINION OF MYSELF ONLY AND NOT OF MY EMPLOYER
mjrs23

Re: Cheap bus fares for shoppers going into the Mall

Post by mjrs23 »

marc506 wrote:Dr Bob Such was on the ABC this morning talking about the ACC's latest attempt to do something with the Mall to encourage people in to shop there.

One of his ideas was that shoppers should get cheap bus fares to encourage them to shop in the city.

wonder if I'm the only one who thinks this an utterly stupid idea and shows how out of touch some politicians are?

Apart from the practicality of it, why would you need cheap bus fares? You can get an adult day tripper allowing you to take the kids for about the same price (or less) than it costs to park your car!!
I've edited your topic for you 8) *nerd*
Stuart Dew retire's :cry: 1997-2006

Shane Warne Retire's :cry: 1992-2006

That's two in one year!
AtD

Post by AtD »

Dr. Such also suggested that the pavers in the mall should be heated in winter!

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html

Just trying to get a headline me thinks.
http://www.photoadelaide.com
Images of the South Australian Capital.
Tom Garland

Post by Tom Garland »

Bob Such is always saying stuff like this, he wants a roof over Rundle mall too, cheaper Metroticket fares arn't going to attract more people to rundle mall either.
J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R)

Post by J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R) »

the only way to do this is say like spend $50 or more at any participating retailer and receive a free single trip, but then again, who will fund this venture..... then again it could be like the fuel offers spend $50 or more and receive 10% off any metro ticket redeemable only at rundle mall help desk, the info centre or Adeladie Railway station.
First ever passenger on J1 J1C 265 T217 RZ6 RZ8 N224 N122 521 522 173 E1 N206
Last ever passenger 112 124 T255 236 266 282 402 420
on first RZ5
on last 275
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

yeah - encourage more people to visit the InfoCentre - the two or three people that occupy those desks struggle to give correct information out about using Public Transport. Imagine them looking at a "spent $50 get a free bus ticket" coupon and thinking to themselves "how do I issue a free ticket?".

They are hopeless in there!
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

Oh, pollies like Bob Such have to keep coming up with querky ideas just to keep their name in the media.

Otherwise, who would remember the names of independant pollies?

What would encourage more people to use Public Transport into the city to shop? I would say better access.

For example... busses that run every hour into the city Mon-Fri during shopping hours, even though the suburbs are within 10-15km of the city. (118 is a great example of this, between West Lakes Bvd and Port Adelaide) - if you were not able to walk from Port Rd or West Lakes Bvd home, why would you use Public Transport?
Volvo B12BLEA
Favourite Vehicle: Rail and Ships / Boats.

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

Interesting that the subject of "cheap fares" to get people into Rundle Mall should be raised.

I am reading an issue of "Among Ourselves" dated October 1976 and there happens to be a story about the Official Opening of Rundle Mall on Wednesday September 1st 1976.

Now the thing that makes this thread interesting and Dr Bob Such's comment about cheap travel is the fact that on the day of the Mall's Opening, "Tramway" buses provided "Free" bus rides between the Outer Suburbs and the City.

4 A.E.C. Swift's were used and operated from 1st - 14th September on various routes throughout the Metropolitan area.
Any posts are my views or opinions and are NOT on behalf of any Organisation.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

bigrobbo wrote:yeah - encourage more people to visit the InfoCentre - the two or three people that occupy those desks struggle to give correct information out about using Public Transport. Imagine them looking at a "spent $50 get a free bus ticket" coupon and thinking to themselves "how do I issue a free ticket?".

They are hopeless in there!
Not to mention there's always a long queue, and vacant places behind the desk every rare time I dare go there
tristan

Post by tristan »

Public Transport is incharge by TransportSA not ACC. Should ACC subsidy/pay for those discount? I dont think Councillors will support that.
Just give a :) on that suggestion!

My point of view is to extend shops opening hours at Mon-Thur to around 8:00pm, to attract offices/CBD workers shopping in city after they finish their work.
YPAD RWY 23
TheColonel

Post by TheColonel »

Sounds like a bit of a twist on some previous marketing schemes from the Adelaide Metro;

The deal between Admet and Greater Union was very succesful, a different voucher was issued each week, but was only valid when presented with a valid metroticket.

Flinders Uni students were allowed to one 'Buy two get one free' offer each semester in 2004. This was hugely successful - Shoulda seen the line at the Post Office!!!!

Two children travelling free under a daytrip on weekends need to be advertised, as many people only think this is the case on weekends.

The potential is endless, but any idea should be encouraged if it gives people a bargain and gets them on our services! Wouldn't suprise me if Harbour Town explored this angle in the near future...
MORPHETTVILLE DEPOT - Birthplace of the TransitLink!
J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R)

Post by J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R) »

tristan wrote: My point of view is to extend shops opening hours at Mon-Thur to around 8:00pm, to attract offices/CBD workers shopping in city after they finish their work.
they all ready have that happening.

All SA retailers with certain exceptions can open at the Following times

Monday-Friday 0001-2100 (one minute past Midnight to 9pm)
Saturday 0001-1700 (one minute past midnight to 5pm)
Sunday 1100-1700 (11am to 5pm)

the reason that the shops don't trade these hours is that they think it is unprofitable..... but yet if any want to they can...
First ever passenger on J1 J1C 265 T217 RZ6 RZ8 N224 N122 521 522 173 E1 N206
Last ever passenger 112 124 T255 236 266 282 402 420
on first RZ5
on last 275
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Some selected Coles stores open at midnight, and I'm always surprised to see the number of people shopping at that time. Coles that open at midnight include the stores at Adelaide and Kurralta Park. The exceptions to the rule you mentioned generally are related to the size of the store; and the type of merchandise being sold.

Interestingly enough; it is cheaper to buy a daytrip ticket than three 2 hour tickets that would otherwise be required.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”