Possible M.A.N Design Fault

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
The Mayor
Favourite Vehicle: (SA) VOLVO B59.

Possible M.A.N Design Fault

Post by The Mayor »

I have noticed that many many M.A.N buses from SL202's up to the NL's seem to be crabbing.

I have not noticed it with 18.280's but it is more prominent in the NL's. Some of SouthLinks NL's crab and have been crabbing and have also been booked off. I have seen quite a few Torrens buses crabbing also.

I have no idea what is causing it, but I have never seen it in such prolific proportions before.

Anyone else come across this strange bus behaviour?

It could be a design flaw, I will have to do more homework on the subject! :?
ALWAYS STRIVING TO MAKE ADELAIDE & SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY
ALL COMMENTS MADE ON THIS FORUM ARE THE EXPRESS OPINION OF MYSELF ONLY AND NOT OF MY EMPLOYER
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Excuse my naiveity; but what is this "crabbing" that you refer to? I'd probably recognise the symptom you refer to; but just don't know your term for it.

Might see you tomorrow if you're doing Footy Express.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
LTB_Enterprises

Post by LTB_Enterprises »

From the bus damage thread:
The Mayor wrote:Has anyone noticed the number of MAN's that are crabbing? I have noticed many Torrens buses crabbing. Some of SouthLinks are and when they are seen it is reported. :o
Did you really have to start another thread for it when you had already mentioned it once?
onesixeight

Post by onesixeight »

Crabbing is when the front and rear wheels are not in alignment and the bus is travelling sideways whilst going forward (like a crab). I hope that explanation clarifies it for you.

This problem can be recified by the workshops and if noticed, the bus should be booked off. :)
Ex-MAN
Location: A little bit of me in every NL202/NL202CNG/NL232 (and a few 11-190s & 10-155s)

Post by Ex-MAN »

The crabbing is merely an alignment problem.
German engineering and Australian management seem to have had a communication breakdown.
The rear axles in these units are located by 4 arms, all of which have facility for shim adjustment on both ends. The problem is that all NLs were shimmed "by the example in the diagrams" rather than each chassis being measured and shimmed accordingly.
You'll find that the rear axles will, in many cases be off to a slight angle, with the wheelbase differing from one side of the bus to the other, effectively causing the rear axle to steer the bus to a small extent.
During their manufacture, I picked up on this, tried to explain on deaf ears that the diagram was just an example, and that the variations in wheelbases should not have been written off as "That's how they came from the FatherLand" Naturally, assembly staff were regarded as no more than trained monkeys, and it was never resolved.
If any maintenence supervisors wish to correct their vehicles, I'm willing to 'assist' with rectifying them.
Ex-MAN
Location: A little bit of me in every NL202/NL202CNG/NL232 (and a few 11-190s & 10-155s)

Post by Ex-MAN »

onesixeight wrote:Crabbing is when the front and rear wheels are not in alignment and the bus is travelling sideways whilst going forward (like a crab). I hope that explanation clarifies it for you.

This problem can be recified by the workshops and if noticed, the bus should be booked off. :)
Sorry, I had started typing my 'epic' before your post appeared.
So workshops are onto them, good! :)
onesixeight

Post by onesixeight »

That was indeed an explanation of epic proportions but you obviously know your stuff! Workshops are aware of the problem and if noticed will act apon it however, to clear the problem up, drivers will need to do the right thing and book buses off if they themselves are aware of a crabbing issue. Once again, it will take a concerted effort on behalf of all who work in the industry. Are their any safety isssues related to crabbing?
Ex-MAN

Post by Ex-MAN »

Are their any safety isssues related to crabbing?
Apart from premature tyre wear, and a 2.5m wide vehicle using 2.7-2.9m of roadspace to drive in a straight line, not really.
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

Yes I am sorry to LTB Enterprises for raising a new thread, but virtually no response on the other.

And whaddya know BINGO here are the answers above. Thanks guys. 8)
ALWAYS STRIVING TO MAKE ADELAIDE & SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY
ALL COMMENTS MADE ON THIS FORUM ARE THE EXPRESS OPINION OF MYSELF ONLY AND NOT OF MY EMPLOYER
LTB_Enterprises

Post by LTB_Enterprises »

So bump it, add a new post to the other thread asking for comments.

Orrrrrrrrr, don't change the topic in existing threads which just leads to it getting overrun by existing conversation.

Everyone complains about duplicate threads but everyone still does it anyway!! ;-)
J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R)

Post by J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R) »

if this is the issue of the busses pulling over to one side then i too have been showed this. A bus drivers showed me whilst driving an 11.190 straight, the bus vereed to the left....
First ever passenger on J1 J1C 265 T217 RZ6 RZ8 N224 N122 521 522 173 E1 N206
Last ever passenger 112 124 T255 236 266 282 402 420
on first RZ5
on last 275
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

At the end of the day is the world still spinning? Life is way too short to worry about such threads on a forum! :wink:
Member 1633

Post by Member 1633 »

Ex-MAN wrote:
Are their any safety isssues related to crabbing?
and a 2.5m wide vehicle using 2.7-2.9m of roadspace to drive in a straight line, not really.
love the dry humour... 'not too dangerous'
Ex-MAN

Post by Ex-MAN »

J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R) wrote:if this is the issue of the busses pulling over to one side then i too have been showed this. A bus drivers showed me whilst driving an 11.190 straight, the bus vereed to the left....
11.190s are a different story. They shear off the bolts retaining the rear suspension arm. It won't fall out, but should receive immediate attention.
Pity the poor blighter who gets the job though.
Ex-MAN

Post by Ex-MAN »

onesixeight wrote: Workshops are aware of the problem and if noticed will act apon it however, to clear the problem up, drivers will need to do the right thing and book buses off if they themselves are aware of a crabbing issue. Once again, it will take a concerted effort on behalf of all who work in the industry.
One that appears to have escaped detection is TT NL202 #266. I was following it today, and it is WELL out of line. The rear end is driving off to the left, so the right side needs to be shimmed rearward and/or left side forward. Any TT employees /drivers reading this, who know this vehicle might like to take the step and notify workshops.
Dave C
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Post by Dave C »

Ex-MAN wrote:One that appears to have escaped detection is TT NL202 #266. I was following it today, and it is WELL out of line. The rear end is driving off to the left, so the right side needs to be shimmed rearward and/or left side forward. Any TT employees /drivers reading this, who know this vehicle might like to take the step and notify workshops.
It could be something simple like alignment which isnt rare.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”