Ex Brisbane Gas SL202's heading to Adelaide.

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Dave C
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Post by Dave C »

927 is at Mile End.
Volvo B12BLEA
Favourite Vehicle: Rail and Ships / Boats.

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

Good to see they have arrived safely. :)
Any posts are my views or opinions and are NOT on behalf of any Organisation.
Desto
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B58, B59, B10M, Kenworth

Post by Desto »

Sure is and can't wait to see them in traffic eventually.
Thoughts are with the people in Victoria at this very bad time.
Willie
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes 0405NH

Post by Willie »

I had a look through 926 this morning its quite nice although very small mirrors it has a very good driving position and the cab setup is very clear and not very cluttered.

I think the bell set up will confuse passengers as it appears at seat level and roof level in a silver strip,A few missed stops Id imagine.

The destinations are quite driver friendly with three buttons which on each you select the correct number to the button beneath then press start and they automaticlly scroll.

I think they will be a great addition to the fleet.
Volvo B12BLEA

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

Is anymore known about what these 2 buses are for?

Are they for spare parts?
Are they going into regular route service?
or
Are they only being used by Torrens Transit for school runs like the ex Sydney Artic?
adelaidetransit

Post by adelaidetransit »

They will be painted and put into regular services.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

adelaidetransit wrote:They will be painted and put into regular services.
In service before or after the repaint? The admet livery is boring!
Willie

Post by Willie »

TA3001 wrote:
adelaidetransit wrote:They will be painted and put into regular services.
In service before or after the repaint? The admet livery is boring!
Its a corporate livery,Leaving them in BCC livery would be of no benefit to TT.

Given the two additons will need to be fitted out with radios and cash trays etc,I would assume it will be painted before entering service as is the Sydney Buses artic.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

An article about this appeared in today's Sunday Mail

From The Sunday Mail - http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html
The Sunday Mail wrote:Used buses on city routes

SECOND-HAND buses have been acquired to help bolster Adelaide's straining public transport network.
Torrens Transit bought two 15-year-old buses from Brisbane in a bid to meet the surge in public transport use.

The news came as Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said he would not pursue $400,000 in damages from bus company Scania over problems with the supply of buses.

Torrens Transit, Adelaide's largest bus operator, paid an undisclosed amount for the two ex-Brisbane Transport vehicles ahead of major route changes in September.

The buses, built in 1990, arrived here earlier this month and are expected to go into service in eight weeks on peak morning services.

Torrens Transit general manager Doug Lamont said the buses would replace two 25-year-old vehicles.

"We have replaced them with 15-year-old buses and why wouldn't you do that?" he said.

"You are talking of two buses out of a fleet of 550; you've got to put it into perspective. These are actually the average age of the fleet.

"The reason we picked these is because they are exactly the same as what we are running here in Adelaide."

The buses can carry 73 passengers but cannot accommodate wheelchairs, and do not have airconditioning.

Under their contracts with the State Government, Adelaide's bus operators must not use buses that are more than 25 years old.

The Sunday Mail understands Torrens Transit has not asked the Government for more new buses because the Government would not approve the request.

The Government has an $81.7 million three-year contract with Scania to provide new buses at a rate of one a week. Under the terms of the contract, which ends in June 2008, Scania must deliver 170 new buses.

But the 2004/2005 Auditor General's report found the Government was entitled to $398,750 in liquidated damages because as of June last year Scania was behind in providing the buses.

The company has since met its obligations and, as of June 30 this year, was two buses ahead of schedule.

Scania is charged $250 a day for each day a bus is delivered later than scheduled.

In a written statement, Mr Conlon said he would not be pursuing Scania for the money on "legal advice".
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Volvo B12BLEA

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

It doesnt't worry me why the SL202's went from Brisbane to Adelaide but I have to admit I thought it strange that they were going to go into service on Government routes.
I initially thought they were going to be used on School runs or for other reasons, like party buses etc. This was before I found out that Torrens Transit were getting them for Government route work.
The Mayor
Favourite Vehicle: (SA) VOLVO B59.

Post by The Mayor »

I dont recall any articles in the Advertiser / Sunday Mail when SouthLink acquired the 4 buses that they own outright!

Ever notice that the people who constantly bag the operation of bus services in Adelaide has no friggin idea what they are talking about? What do they care if Torrens Transit has bought two 16 year old buses? Did Torrens ask them for a loan? No, I dont think so. These people should be told to shut up and mind their own business. If the buses they bought were 24 years old then I would question the motive, but 16 years old.......gimmee a break. :roll:
ALWAYS STRIVING TO MAKE ADELAIDE & SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY
ALL COMMENTS MADE ON THIS FORUM ARE THE EXPRESS OPINION OF MYSELF ONLY AND NOT OF MY EMPLOYER
marc506

Post by marc506 »

The Mayor wrote:I dont recall any articles in the Advertiser / Sunday Mail when SouthLink acquired the 4 buses that they own outright!

Ever notice that the people who constantly bag the operation of bus services in Adelaide has no friggin idea what they are talking about? What do they care if Torrens Transit has bought two 16 year old buses? Did Torrens ask them for a loan? No, I dont think so. These people should be told to shut up and mind their own business. If the buses they bought were 24 years old then I would question the motive, but 16 years old.......gimmee a break. :roll:
The purchase probably wan't made at time when public transport was a hobby horse which the paper could beat the government over the head with.

I don't know if it's shoddy journalism, populism or bias on the part of the tiser/sunday rag but the current government can't do a thing right with public transport as far it's concerned.
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

The Mayor wrote:I dont recall any articles in the Advertiser / Sunday Mail when SouthLink acquired the 4 buses that they own outright!
That will be becouse those 2 Scanias & Mercs were new & not realy 2nd hand, even though the 2 Mercs are from another operator I dont think they never entered service with them.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Dave C
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Post by Dave C »

The Inspector wrote:That will be becouse those 2 Scanias & Mercs were new & not realy 2nd hand, even though the 2 Mercs are from another operator I dont think they never entered service with them.
And they where originally bought for non metroticket 75x services before they became metroticket.
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

Dave C wrote: And they where originally bought for non metroticket 75x services before they became metroticket.
And lets not forget those state hoping Dennis Darts :roll:
Has AdMet CB80 fever
The Mayor
Favourite Vehicle: (SA) VOLVO B59.

Post by The Mayor »

I am trying to forget those darts! Thanks for reminding me now its back to therapy......................

The point I was trying to make guys is that why the hell would anyone care who has purchased buses, as long as they comply with all the relavant guidelines who should care, that is what I am saying! :roll:
ALWAYS STRIVING TO MAKE ADELAIDE & SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY
ALL COMMENTS MADE ON THIS FORUM ARE THE EXPRESS OPINION OF MYSELF ONLY AND NOT OF MY EMPLOYER
Volvo B12BLEA

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

The Phonj wrote:An article about this appeared in today's Sunday Mail

From The Sunday Mail - http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html
The Sunday Mail wrote:Used buses on city routes

SECOND-HAND buses have been acquired to help bolster Adelaide's straining public transport network.
Torrens Transit bought two 15-year-old buses from Brisbane in a bid to meet the surge in public transport use...
There was an article in todays Brisbane Courier Mail Newspaper and on the website about the SL202's going to Adelaide.

The article can be read in the Brisbane section. The link is:-
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16466
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

And on the Adelaide end I am getting conflicting stories as to which depots these two buses are (will be) attached.

Can anyone provide the correct depot information for these two buse please.
Living in the Shire.
Willie

Post by Willie »

926 -Morphettville Depot

927-Mile End Depot

Hope this help fleetlists :wink:
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Will wrote:926 -Morphettville Depot

927-Mile End Depot

Hope this help fleetlists :wink:
Thank You
Living in the Shire.
Busman
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Royal TigerWorldmaster
Location: Adelaide, home of one of the last AEC bus fleets ordered in the world!

Post by Busman »

I wonder if they will have enough buses to cope wit the additional frequencies on the new go-zones, or whether they will need to order more?
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

Today's Advertiser has several letters to the editor about public transport and to highliught the artcles they've got a p[icture of a bus.....but it's a Brisbane MAN bus C926 :shock: !! You'd think they could have put in a picture of an Adelaide SL200 or OBahn Merc or ...., but why a Brisbane bus? Perhaps they know something we don't know?
marc506

Post by marc506 »

TT wrote:Today's Advertiser has several letters to the editor about public transport and to highliught the artcles they've got a p[icture of a bus.....but it's a Brisbane MAN bus C926 :shock: !! You'd think they could have put in a picture of an Adelaide SL200 or OBahn Merc or ...., but why a Brisbane bus? Perhaps they know something we don't know?
I was wondering about that - it's not on of the buses bought from Queensland?
LTB_Enterprises

Post by LTB_Enterprises »

marc506 wrote: I was wondering about that - it's not on of the buses bought from Queensland?
It is. Most likely they were making the point that the system is supposedly in such a shocking state we need to import buses just to keep it running.
marc506

Post by marc506 »

LTB_Enterprises wrote:
marc506 wrote: I was wondering about that - it's not on of the buses bought from Queensland?
It is. Most likely they were making the point that the system is supposedly in such a shocking state we need to import buses just to keep it running.
pity the tiser wouldn't know a true fact if blew up the printing presses.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”