• Advertisement

The Random Admet Question Thread

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Postby transenthusiast » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:47 pm

mmosca447 wrote:Earlier on this week I rode my first LCB SL202 (after 10 years of taking notice of what bus I was on!) and noticed it had a really jumpy transmission.

Every time the voith transmission changed up every person on the bus seemed to jolt forwards in their seats. This bus was 888

I didn't even think 888 had Voith, I thought all of the CNG powered SL202's had ZF. Mind you I don't remember the last time I went on 888.
transenthusiast

Postby mmosca447 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:07 pm

transenthusiast wrote:
mmosca447 wrote:Earlier on this week I rode my first LCB SL202 (after 10 years of taking notice of what bus I was on!) and noticed it had a really jumpy transmission.

Every time the voith transmission changed up every person on the bus seemed to jolt forwards in their seats. This bus was 888

I didn't even think 888 had Voith, I thought all of the CNG powered SL202's had ZF. Mind you I don't remember the last time I went on 888.

Nope I stand corrected all SL202 CNG's have a ZF.
mmosca447

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Postby mmosca447 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:08 pm

I rode one of the Southlink Rosas today (2605) and noticed it had no stop buttons that I could see. How is somebody supposed to request a stop? Just call out to the driver? I got off at Hallett Cove int. so it was no problem for me though.
mmosca447

Postby busrider » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:22 pm

Yes, in the Rosas, passengers just call out to the driver when they want the next stop.
busrider

Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Postby mmosca447 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:25 pm

I've been researching the differences in bus appearances for a school assignment and I was thinking about the visual differences between NL202's and SL202's. Could anyone tell me a list of most of the visual updates inside and out the NL202 got? (I know the SL202 is high floor so no need to mention that one)

Thanks in advance :D
mmosca447

Postby Diesel_MAN » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:12 pm

mmosca447 wrote:I've been researching the differences in bus appearances for a school assignment and I was thinking about the visual differences between NL202's and SL202's. Could anyone tell me a list of most of the visual updates inside and out the NL202 got? (I know the SL202 is high floor so no need to mention that one)

The front and centre doors are different. 1346-1349 had passenger-operated centre doors, but the standard NL202s all have driver-operated doors.
NL202s don't have a section in the middle for prams or standing passengers like the SL202s do. The layout of the seats is also different, and NL202s have foldable seats in places where a pram or wheelchair will need to go.
The exterior of an NL202 has straight edges, but the SL202s have a slight curve on the edges. If that doesn't make sense, comparing pictures should show you what I mean.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
Diesel_MAN

Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Postby mmosca447 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:56 am

Diesel_MAN wrote:
mmosca447 wrote:I've been researching the differences in bus appearances for a school assignment and I was thinking about the visual differences between NL202's and SL202's. Could anyone tell me a list of most of the visual updates inside and out the NL202 got? (I know the SL202 is high floor so no need to mention that one)

The front and centre doors are different. 1346-1349 had passenger-operated centre doors, but the standard NL202s all have driver-operated doors.
NL202s don't have a section in the middle for prams or standing passengers like the SL202s do. The layout of the seats is also different, and NL202s have foldable seats in places where a pram or wheelchair will need to go.
The exterior of an NL202 has straight edges, but the SL202s have a slight curve on the edges. If that doesn't make sense, comparing pictures should show you what I mean.

I had a look at some photos and it clarified everything you mentioned, cheers
mmosca447

Postby mmosca447 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Hey everyone, tomorrow morning I'll be catching a couple of buses. A 720 at around 8 and a C1 to Elizabeth at quarter past nine. What kind of buses could I expect at this time if there's any kind of way of guessing the bus type at that specific time? Thanks
mmosca447

Postby jibb » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:27 pm

mmosca447 wrote:Hey everyone, tomorrow morning I'll be catching a couple of buses. A 720 at around 8 and a C1 to Elizabeth at quarter past nine. What kind of buses could I expect at this time if there's any kind of way of guessing the bus type at that specific time? Thanks

The C1 at that time of the day is likely to be a Scania K230 rigid
Generally early O-Bahn trips on a normal Sunday mornings are rigids.
jibb

Postby coach driver 1981 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:18 am

jibb wrote:
mmosca447 wrote:Hey everyone, tomorrow morning I'll be catching a couple of buses. A 720 at around 8 and a C1 to Elizabeth at quarter past nine. What kind of buses could I expect at this time if there's any kind of way of guessing the bus type at that specific time? Thanks

The C1 at that time of the day is likely to be a Scania K230 rigid
Generally early O-Bahn trips on a normal Sunday mornings are rigids.

your 720 will most probably be a cb80 2500 numbered bus or a Man 18.280 2700 number bus
coach driver 1981

Postby TA3001 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:33 pm

I just watched two videos on Youtube which depict a modern Volvo and a Mercedes O500LE with a Volgren body. They literally sounded like leaking water in a tap. Is it possible that Adelaide (in the tiniest way possible) sort of got lucky with the vehicles ordered to replace at least some of the SL202s?

Don't get me wrong, most CB80s are dull as, but I just couldn't believe what I was listening to on Youtube even with volume set to high.
TA3001

Postby bigrobbo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 am

Had dinner at a friends house at Bellevue Heights last night. The best way for me to get back into town was the 600S to Bedford Park, walk down to South Rd and 720H to the city. No problems.

The 9:55pm 600S from Blackwood then runs special from Bedford Park to Stop 18 Goodwood Rd to become the 10:18pm G10 into the city.

In my opinion, it should run as a G30 into the city. Public transport up there that time of night is limited to the train.

Do others think that’s a good idea? Are there any other examples of short runnings then continuing down the road a bit as a service to the city?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigrobbo

Postby Route 506 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:07 pm

bigrobbo wrote:Had dinner at a friends house at Bellevue Heights last night. The best way for me to get back into town was the 600S to Bedford Park, walk down to South Rd and 720H to the city. No problems.

The 9:55pm 600S from Blackwood then runs special from Bedford Park to Stop 18 Goodwood Rd to become the 10:18pm G10 into the city.

In my opinion, it should run as a G30 into the city. Public transport up there that time of night is limited to the train.

Do others think that’s a good idea? Are there any other examples of short runnings then continuing down the road a bit as a service to the city?

Two examples that come to mind are the 176G which stops along Gorge Road only to turn around and go back to Paradise to start it's next run - would make way more sense to just do the old 177 continuing straight along Newton/Darley Road to Paradise.

The other is (especially weekends) if a 542/543/545 (or any other numbers I've missed) terminate at TTP only to then form a C1 to the City. Would be just as easy to run as a 542/543/545 into the City as they used to. Maybe this will change with the new schedules?

I'm sure there are several more examples out there!
Route 506

Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Postby Eurostar » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:23 pm

bigrobbo wrote:Had dinner at a friends house at Bellevue Heights last night. The best way for me to get back into town was the 600S to Bedford Park, walk down to South Rd and 720H to the city. No problems.

it might be simply something to do with kilometres, do not in service runs count as kilometres ?

Also if I recall correctly there is a train in the evening that departs Gawler Central , stops at Gawler Oval, Gawler then waits 5-10 minutes then departs Gawler
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Eurostar

Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Postby flaneur » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:56 pm

re sections
there was a time when Trans Adelaide had a trial for zones, the zone 3 sign on Nurlutta Station had been there well after the trial had been scrapped
flaneur

Postby TA3001 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:48 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Also if I recall correctly there is a train in the evening that departs Gawler Central , stops at Gawler Oval, Gawler then waits 5-10 minutes then departs Gawler

Correct. This is the 6:12 inbound service which uses the single line section past Gawler that leaves earlier than desirable due to another train being scheduled to use that section not long after. It is scheduled to depart Gawler at 6:29, with the next service being at 6:59. Shouldn't be too hard to make sense of.

It was one of the last services that was operated by the Jumbos in 2015. It formed the 5:20 express service beforehand. No idea if it did anything before that, as a train driver can switch consists between runs obviously to make up the hours.
TA3001

Postby Eurostar » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:28 pm

TA3001 wrote:
Eurostar wrote:

Correct. This is the 6:12 inbound service which uses the single line section past Gawler that leaves earlier than desirable due to another train being scheduled to use that section not long after. It is scheduled to depart Gawler at 6:29, with the next service being at 6:59. Shouldn't be too hard to make sense of.

It was one of the last services that was operated by the Jumbos in 2015. It formed the 5:20 express service beforehand. No idea if it did anything before that, as a train driver can switch consists between runs obviously to make up the hours.
Also so its meets the Hi Frequency Stations rule
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Eurostar

Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Postby The Phonj » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:40 pm

flaneur wrote:re sections
there was a time when Trans Adelaide had a trial for zones, the zone 3 sign on Nurlutta Station had been there well after the trial had been scrapped

In approximately 1980; not that long after the State Transport Authority was formed, ticketing was simplified and unified by the introduction of a time based; zonal fare system across bus, tram and train services. Adelaide was split into three zones and three ticket bands became available for purchase: two sections; two zones or three zones. In the early 1990's, the zones were abolished to create the time based system we are familiar with today.
Get the Firefox internet browser at: http://www.firefox.com
Watch out for ghostly bus drivers!
The Phonj
Administrator

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200, PMCSA body

Postby Eagle Eye » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:00 am

Route 506 wrote:Two examples that come to mind are the 176G which stops along Gorge Road only to turn around and go back to Paradise to start it's next run - would make way more sense to just do the old 177 continuing straight along Newton/Darley Road to Paradise.

The other is (especially weekends) if a 542/543/545 (or any other numbers I've missed) terminate at TTP only to then form a C1 to the City. Would be just as easy to run as a 542/543/545 into the City as they used to. Maybe this will change with the new schedules?

I'm sure there are several more examples out there!

It sometimes depends whether it's school term, school holidays, special event days or any other time that shifts or rosters change. Certain trips can follow onto different trips on different days.
Time to get bus priority and tram priority through the city and suburbs.
Time to police bus lanes which are used by arrogant car drivers.
Time to work for better timetables and better connections.
Eagle Eye

Favourite Vehicle: High-floor bus

Postby softgrow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:45 pm

The Phonj wrote:
flaneur wrote:re sections

In approximately 1980; not that long after the State Transport Authority was formed, ticketing was simplified and unified by the introduction of a time based; zonal fare system across bus, tram and train services. Adelaide was split into three zones and three ticket bands became available for purchase: two sections; two zones or three zones. In the early 1990's, the zones were abolished to create the time based system we are familiar with today.

My recollection is that the three zones were reduced to two as a social justice measure to benefit the residents of outer suburbs by the then Transport Minister Diana Laidlaw.
softgrow

Postby mmosca447 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:38 pm

Was on a 265 this afternoon and noticed a couple of hills Volgren Scanias at Brighton Beach running NIS. A bit weird to see these buses here in my opinion. Any ideas why this could be?
mmosca447

Postby jibb » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:53 pm

Hills buses were doing charters to Pacific Games at Marion Aquatic Centre.Some were laying over on Sturt Road outside Marion Centre,those at Brighton were probably filling in time before their pickups!
jibb

Postby mmosca447 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:33 pm

Is anyone thinking of heading to the O-Bahn tunnel opening thing going on at Rymill Park tomorrow? Apparently, members of the public will be able to walk through the tunnel for the first time.
mmosca447

Postby busrider » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:45 pm

I think quite a few people from this forum will be attending the event, I might be there myself, haven't decided yet.
busrider

Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Adelaide / SA