Darwinbus - Buslink, Volgren Optimus bodied Mercedes Benz

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
panther998
Favourite Vehicle: Aberdeen Corp 274, AEC Regent

Darwinbus - Buslink, Volgren Optimus bodied Mercedes Benz

Post by panther998 »

As I have been unable to find any ATDB posts relating to Oct 2014 bus deliveries to the Darwinbus operation, I suspect the pix viewable at
http://members.iinet.net.au/~seedee/bus ... -crcd1.jpg
and
might be of some value to those enthusiasts with a modicum of interest in buses serving Australia's 'Top End'.

All pix were taken earlier today, Saturday 01/11/14, with 196 [m/o 3777] being sighted in revenue service at and around the Darwin Bus Terminal in Harry Chan Av, while 197 [m/o 3776] (sporting somewhat crude signs in its n/s windscreen proclaiming 'NEW URBAN SCHOOL BUS') was photographed in the Buslink Depot in Pruen Rd, Berrimah.

Unlike most of the Darwinbus units I saw during my 3+ days in the NT Capital, neither of these 'newbies' bore the large white fleet numbers on the nsf bumper.
Which, alas, remains dismal black, rather than being painted in the 'tan' or 'burnt orange?' applied elsewhere along the skirt of all buses in this very 'standardised' (and otherwise well presented) fleet. Presumably the abundance of black bumpers, both front and rear, is intended as a mark of respect towards some deceased 'key figure' with relevance to NT politics / buses ....

Begs the inevitable question - what is the point, if there is no clear and unequivocal reminder about WHY black bumpers appear on these buses ??
Alternatively, perhaps the black bumpers are simply a 'throw back' to a past era when such was the 'fashion' and, perhaps, today's managers are too fearful of 'bucking tradition' ?? However 'outworn' or 'redundant' the tradition might have become ??
venturatiger

Re: Darwinbus - Buslink, Volgren Optimus bodied Mercedes Ben

Post by venturatiger »

Hi, panther998 most of the new Darwin buses are still at Volgren have not been delivered as yet

Venturatiger
CM Hino

Post by CM Hino »

Hi panther998.
Great get panther998. Teach me for not going out on Saturday. Will have to go out Monday
Unlike most of the Darwinbus units I saw during my 3+ days in the NT Capital, neither of these 'newbies' bore the large white fleet numbers on the nsf bumper
Buslink buses do not have fleet number on nsf bumper only Territory transit (formally Darwin bus service) have it with the exception of #110 which is currently missing it.
Which, alas, remains dismal black, rather than being painted in the 'tan' or 'burnt orange?
All Darwinbus are painted in the colours that appear on the Northern Territory flag.As you can see black plays a large part in the flag. So painting the bumpers black is quite a good compromise
Attachments
ntflag.jpg
ntflag.jpg (14.09 KiB) Viewed 36413 times
panther998

Post by panther998 »

Thanks for that info, CM Hino. I've looked through my pix of other Buslink units and now realise my error. :oops:
And the tie in with the NT flag colours does make sense - I suspected there was some logic to the bus livery, but had not figured it out.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Looking at the picture of 196 and 112 Mercedes OH1830 which has the fleet number on the bumper and the bus belongs to Buslink Vivo.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
panther998

Post by panther998 »

Bedford-29 wrote:Looking at the picture of 196 and 112 Mercedes OH1830 which has the fleet number on the bumper and the bus belongs to Buslink Vivo.
You are confusing Territory Transit's 112, a Volgren B42DW bodied Volvo B10BLE, mo 3812 (ex mo 8.112) with Buslink's 112, which is a Bustech C57F bodied Mercedes Benz OH1830, mo 3140. TT 112 (Volvo) does not have the logo above the front door - appears to be recently repainted, so it might be a detail overlooked.
Darwinbus, Territory Transit 112, Volvo B10BLE with Volgren CR222L body, Harry Chan Av bus terminal, 01/11/14
Darwinbus, Territory Transit 112, Volvo B10BLE with Volgren CR222L body, Harry Chan Av bus terminal, 01/11/14
For comparison, here is Buslink's 120, mo 2653, which is fairly similar to 112, I imagine.
Buslink, Darwin, 120, Mercedes Benz OH1830 with Bustech coach body, Casuarina bus station, 31/10/14
Buslink, Darwin, 120, Mercedes Benz OH1830 with Bustech coach body, Casuarina bus station, 31/10/14
And to confirm what CM Hino said earlier, here is Territory Transit's 110, mo 3844, with logo above the front door, but nil white number on the nsf bumper.
Darwinbus, Territory Transit 110, Volvo B10BLE with Volgren CR222L body, Mitchell St, 01/11/14
Darwinbus, Territory Transit 110, Volvo B10BLE with Volgren CR222L body, Mitchell St, 01/11/14
CM Hino

Post by CM Hino »

Hi Bedford-29
Looking at the picture of 196 and 112 Mercedes OH1830 which has the fleet number on the bumper and the bus belongs to Buslink Vivo
112 belongs to Territory Transit (formally Darwin Bus service) and it is a Volvo B10BLE
Note that the fleet list for Territory transit is not complete.
As Genman is waiting on me for the conformation of all the new rego numbers before he places them on the fleet list.
attached is a picture of 112 from DBS a Volvo B10BLE and Buslink Vivo which is a MB 1830
Also buslink Vivo does not have any track buses.
Attachments
BV112.jpg
DBS 112a.jpg
panther998

Post by panther998 »

Many thanks for posting the pic of Buslink Vivo 112, m/o 3468, with Volgren SC222 body, CM Hino. I must confess that I had 'missed' noticing there are actually 3 (THREE!!) different buses numbered 112 (and 'triplicates' of several other numbers, it seems) operating in the Darwin area. No wonder Bedford29 got confused - so did I !! Goes to show, 'local knowledge' goes a long way in cases like this.

Do you perchance have a pic of Buslink 112, m/o 3140, with Bustech Graduate body that you could share here? I am curious to learn if it looks similar to Buslink 120, as posted earlier.
CM Hino

Post by CM Hino »

Hi panther998
It get a bit confusing sometime. Three different bus company with the same fleet numbers
Here is the requested picture taken at V8 at Hidden Valley raceway
Also Territory Transit 112 now has an add applied will post when I get a picture of it
Attachments
Buslink 112.jpg

Return to “Photos - Darwin/NT”