CATA

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Industry

CATA

Post by Industry »

Thirroul asked if I could think of another old operator that would be interesting to see some photos of is CATA whom operated in Alice Springs and Ayers Rock during the 50-80's and was sold to AAT.

So can anyone dig deep for some old photos, from memory their is an ex CATA coach Freighter Body sitting in the yard opposite the Old Timers mine in Coober Pedy.
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Re: CATA

Post by Mr Scania »

Peter Severin at Curtin Springs has got a scrapbook of coach operators that goes back to the beginning of tourism in Central Australia. Having spent all of my school holidays in the "Centre" a list of names comes to mind.
Redline,Carah,Hannafords,Crossways,Delwoods,Pleasure Tours,Wollongong Coaches,Polleys,AAT, Eldreds,Goodes,Loaders and of course Collins.
Industry

Post by Industry »

Mr Scania in the NSW section do you happen to have any photos of yourfather operation yhat you can post
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

I have plenty of photos but I have to learn how to post them.
Industry

Post by Industry »

That would be great if you can arrange a few shots, as yuor fathers operation was certainly interesting
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Reference to CATA in this AAT brochure of 1980:
1980.2.jpg
1980.3.jpg
1980.4.jpg
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
kitkat271
Favourite Vehicle: Double decker buses

Post by kitkat271 »

Was it just not on these pages or were there no tours back then that did the famous Uluru / Kings Canyon tourist circuit then?
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

kitkat271 wrote:Was it just not on these pages or were there no tours back then that did the famous Uluru / Kings Canyon tourist circuit then?
From what I can find the extended tours ex Sydney/Melbourne (safari/camping style) did the Ayers Rock/Kings Canyon run but doesn't appear as an option on the CATA/AAT brochure above ex Alice Springs. Might be to do with vehicles available to them and road conditions, someone may recall ?
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

I think you are right. I did one of those Ayers Rock tours with Pioneer in the early 1980s and my recollection is that the accomodated touring option was 2 days out and back to the rock and a separate tour out and back to Kings with only the camping based trips doing the circuit.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

Industry wrote:Thirroul asked if I could think of another old operator that would be interesting to see some photos of is CATA whom operated in Alice Springs and Ayers Rock during the 50-80's and was sold to AAT.

So can anyone dig deep for some old photos, from memory their is an ex CATA coach Freighter Body sitting in the yard opposite the Old Timers mine in Coober Pedy.
I've uncovered an image that relates to your request from some time back Industry. Although it's been a while I thought this would still be of interest. Looks to be a Freighter body but I'm unable to identify the chassis. I'm assuming the location to be Alice Springs.

I have included a number of appendices in my book about Redline, one of which is a quite detailed history of the beginnings of the post WW2 tourist industry centered on Ayers Rock and The Olgas. Within this account I have recorded the beginnings of CATA and the personalities involved in putting the operation together. I have also listed the founding CATA members in recognition of their contribution to the broader history of the early Centre tourism industry.
Attachments
CATA - Northern Territory - 1962. National Library of Australia.jpg
CATA - Northern Territory - 1962. National Library of Australia.jpg (50.49 KiB) Viewed 35685 times

Return to “Photos - Darwin/NT”