Re: Transport for Brisbane Observations 2019

Post by BT Enthusiast »

Double ads now on 1263, drivers side
BT Enthusiast
Favourite Vehicle: CB80 or Denning Phoenix

Post by BT Enthusiast »

Some recent observations:
-On newly serviced and refurbished bus 1280, exiting is only allowed through the rear door, even if you're sitting in the front row. Good news that BT cares, I was on 1280 a few months back and it had a smashed back a/c vent which splurted dirty air into the bus, good they fixed it
-The 7:12 am 444 to the city has been operated by a B8 for three months straight now... I go on the 7:02 and it's always a MAN, and I stay back to get some pics of the 7:12 B8, works every time
-1303 is at Toowong operating routes with G1303 applied. Probably going soon but still operating T routes
-The T 1260ish buses are now featuring DOUBLE ADS ON DRIVERS SIDE... NOOOOOOOOO. I believe as more advertising contracts end this will become a new norm with new contractors
-Driver barriers now on 1345-1348 after a trial, 2072-2078, 2827,2847 or probably all new buses etc.
Cazza

Post by Cazza »

Also, C2037 now has the new style of City Glider wrap applied to it, with reports that 2038 is being changed now (or very soon) and the rest of the Maroon Glider fleet will follow.
BT Enthusiast

Post by BT Enthusiast »

Double ads now on 1273
Last edited by BT Enthusiast on Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

BT Enthusiast wrote:2859 and 2860 are at Toowong garage
Double ads now on 1273
T2859 was parked at Volgren today - rego XQ76HU.
^^__^^
Favourite Vehicle: S1989 - Live well poppin' tags

Post by ^^__^^ »

With the re-wrap of the gliders, wasn’t this done to alleviate complaints regarding not being able to see out through the windows?
BT Enthusiast

Post by BT Enthusiast »

^^__^^ wrote:With the re-wrap of the gliders, wasn’t this done to alleviate complaints regarding not being able to see out through the windows?
Yes, I believe so. It could have been because they favoured new buses with USB-C ports and co, but then again 2038 is being like 2838, wearing the partial wrap without any internal modifications to the bus. I thought they would have started wrapping B8's out of Toowong, but three are benefits of basing them out of Carina. A perfect example of far-basing was the MAN Free Loop buses at Garden City. They had to drive a bit. Though they were transferred from T, the perfect depot, to the next-closest CNG depot, which was Garden City. Ouch with them going at 6 every morning to downtown for the first few loops.
BT Enthusiast

Post by BT Enthusiast »

1408 now has double ads
TLK
Favourite Vehicle: QR's EMU 14
Location: Waiting to see which 30 series EMU is next to be overhauled.

Post by TLK »

How is it that 1280 only allows rear door exit? I always thought you can exit a bus from either the front or rear door.
Formerly Mullet111
Tell me you didn't just say that!
Cazza

Post by Cazza »

TLK wrote:How is it that 1280 only allows rear door exit? I always thought you can exit a bus from either the front or rear door.
A handful of buses (for some reason) have a green sticker up the front that says "Exit via Rear Door Only". Or something along those lines. Not sure why. No one really reads it and since it's not common practice, I have no clue why they haven't removed them.

It's pretty unreasonable, especially for elderly people that sit in the priority seating near the front. Since the bus kneels at the front (but not the back door), it can be a challenge for them to get out the back, particularly if the door isn't near the curb.

It just comes down to common sense:
-Anyone behind or around the rear door should exit through the rear.
-Anyone at the front of the bus (including wheelchair spots and priority seats) can use the front.
-If a large group of people are boarding, basically everyone should exit through the rear (unless sitting up the front or in the priority section).
L433

Post by L433 »

T1051 was seen along Wynnum Road this morning servicing route 230. Sadly we don’t see a lot of MAN 18.130’s Diesels in the Eastern Suburbs.
TLK
Favourite Vehicle: QR's EMU 14
Location: Waiting to see which 30 series EMU is next to be overhauled.

Post by TLK »

L433 wrote:T1051 was seen along Wynnum Road this morning servicing route 230. Sadly we don’t see a lot of MAN 18.130’s Diesels in the Eastern Suburbs.
Likewise in the southern suburbs. Last time I saw any of the diesel MANs around there was back when Larapinta depot was still open.
Formerly Mullet111
Tell me you didn't just say that!
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

TLK wrote:
L433 wrote:T1051 was seen along Wynnum Road this morning servicing route 230. Sadly we don’t see a lot of MAN 18.130’s Diesels in the Eastern Suburbs.
Likewise in the southern suburbs. Last time I saw any of the diesel MANs around there was back when Larapinta depot was still open.
Diesels MANs are at Garden City Interchange from Monday to Saturday on the Garden City-Inala 122 service.
BT Enthusiast

Post by BT Enthusiast »

Is that part of southwest's coverage? Wouldn't be surprise if they were on loan... Southwest does go to GC I'm pretty sure. But to Willawong maybe not. Mystery
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

BT Enthusiast wrote:Is that part of southwest's coverage? Wouldn't be surprise if they were on loan... Southwest does go to GC I'm pretty sure. But to Willawong maybe not. Mystery
The 122 is (almost??) exclusively covered by South West Transit using the fleet of 15 diesel MAN buses (1001-1015). You will often see Toowong diesel MANs on the 122 when SWT buses are being serviced at Toowong Depot.

From memory, there used to be a couple of Willawong runs that covered the 122 in mid-afternoon when SWT were doing school runs. Maybe someone can comment as to whether this is still the case...
BT Enthusiast

Post by BT Enthusiast »

2860 (or is it 2861?) is at Toowong without signs applied so I don't know

Is it just me or do you see B7RLE Optimus with old thermo King aircon parked at T? Maybe they are going tobworkshops
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

daveeyh wrote:
BT Enthusiast wrote:Is that part of southwest's coverage? Wouldn't be surprise if they were on loan... Southwest does go to GC I'm pretty sure. But to Willawong maybe not. Mystery
The 122 is (almost??) exclusively covered by South West Transit using the fleet of 15 diesel MAN buses (1001-1015). You will often see Toowong diesel MANs on the 122 when SWT buses are being serviced at Toowong Depot.

From memory, there used to be a couple of Willawong runs that covered the 122 in mid-afternoon when SWT were doing school runs. Maybe someone can comment as to whether this is still the case...
The 122 service passes through my house. I'm pretty sure that W's buses still cover the 122 services.
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

BT Enthusiast wrote:2860 (or is it 2861?) is at Toowong without signs applied so I don't know
Volgren at Eagle Farm are currently building Volvo B8 buses for STA in Sydney (one is parked there today) so the flow of new buses for Brisbane (and the retirements of Scanias) won't be as frequent, I would suggest.
BT Enthusiast

Post by BT Enthusiast »

Why would they do that if they have their own plant in NSW??? It's a bit unreasonable, really, unless they're saying that the manufacturing costs are lower which is unlikely due to them being in the same country. Toowong's buses are fine, just some of them getting really bumpy and old so I wouldn't mind them giving us up to 2870.

Also, why is Toowong getting the new buses and having their own old buses transferred to G to replace their Scanias? Why can't they just have given B8's to G in the first place? It sounds much better to me
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

BT Enthusiast wrote:Why would they do that if they have their own plant in NSW??? It's a bit unreasonable, really, unless they're saying that the manufacturing costs are lower which is unlikely due to them being in the same country. Toowong's buses are fine, just some of them getting really bumpy and old so I wouldn't mind them giving us up to 2870.

Also, why is Toowong getting the new buses and having their own old buses transferred to G to replace their Scanias? Why can't they just have given B8's to G in the first place? It sounds much better to me
Volgren don't have a manufacturing plant in NSW - they build buses in Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane. For STA, some buses are being built at Dandenong and some at Eagle Farm.

I believe that the delivery of new buses to Toowong is, at least partly, about the average age of the bus fleet at each depot - apart from the Scanias, Toowong have the oldest buses in the whole fleet. Removing the Scanias from Garden City and sending the newer gas MANs from Toowong to Garden City means that the average age of the fleet of buses at both Toowong and Garden City reduces at the same time.

Increasing the number of diesel buses at Toowong also provides greater flexibility as diesel buses can run all day without refuelling where gas buses can't.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Volgren did have a plant at Tomago, Newcastle - used when they built a large order for the STA.
When that order finished it stayed open as a service centre for a while but was then closed.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
BT Enthusiast

Post by BT Enthusiast »

Alright. Still though not seeing a shortage of b8s. A lot in the roads in the western suburbs but haven't seen the T2840ish buses for a while as I think they might be at Virginia...someone said so earlier on
Most I see are the 2850ish
Cazza

Post by Cazza »

Early 2840s are all still at Toowong as far as I'm aware
ABS

Post by ABS »

2842 is at Virginia. The other 284x buses are definitely doing Toowong runs. The 28xx buses are common on the 199, 380, 381, 385, and 444 during evening shifts.
BT Enthusiast

Post by BT Enthusiast »

Yess...that's practically the only routes I see them on

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”