Flat or curved? Windscreen for coach & bus

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

John_MZC
Favourite Vehicle: Bus built with my involvement

Flat or curved? Windscreen for coach & bus

Post by John_MZC »

Hi Guys

Operators hold different opinions on windscreens. Do most people prefer flat windscreens than curved ones?
What about two pieces flat windscreen?

Appreciate your comments, it's kind of survey to collect ideas.
John_MZC

Re: Flat or curved? Windscreen for coach & bus

Post by John_MZC »

Just messaged moderator suggesting an independent section for people who are interested in workmanship discussion of bus & coach manufacturing. It will be good fun with different topics.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

THis is not really a Qld issue.

Flat windscreens are obviously cheaper to make and replace than curved glass, but would lack streamlining benefits which might be obtained with the body shape. The pillars required to match up two flat sections on corners could obstruct vision.

Split curved windscreens would also be a cost consideration. More expensive initially, but cheaper if replacement of just one half is required.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
John_MZC

Post by John_MZC »

Thanks for the comment, Boronia. It's interesting consideration of priorities between maintenance and wind resistance coefficient. The pillars may not be exaggerated if a moulded one to fit the frame feature. A tentative feeling from previous conversations with some operators: not many operators have concerns of wind resistance coefficient but reliability & easy maintenance. Wondering what is the preference of Irizar, CustomCoaches, BusTech these body builders.

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”