• Advertisement

Glink to Tweed Heads? & Byron Bay??

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

Glink to Tweed Heads? & Byron Bay??

Postby Roderick Smith » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Roderick.

Borderline: New South Wales study on trams from Gold Coast to Tweed Heads.
Gold Coast Bulletin February 24, 2017.
A MULTIMILLION-DOLLAR study is looking at extending the Gold Coast light rail network south into the Tweed.
The study will plot the best cross-border route from Coolangatta and is being funded by the NSW Government under a deal agreed to by that state’s Transport Minister Andrew Constance.
The Gold Coast City Council is finalising the proposed stage three tram route from Broadbeach to Coolangatta via Gold Coast Airport.
G-link trams at the Cypress Avenue station. Picture: Tim Marsden.
Tweed MP Geoff Provest said he would meet Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to discuss the link-up but interstate negotiations have been ongoing since last year when the council endorsed plans to take trams to the border.
Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate met a NSW Government delegation early last month to discuss the project with the cross-border commissioner.
The meeting focused on how to proceed with the Coast’s third stage and how it would integrate with any NSW extension.
Among the major challenges is how the Queensland-based GoCard System, used on buses and trams, would be used within NSW which has a different system.
Mr Provest said 20,000 new homes were set to be approved in the region and there was a dire need for public transport infrastructure.
MP Geoff Provest pictured in Tumbulgum. Picture: Mike Batterham.
“It’s crucial. Our front door is Queensland and our back door is NSW,” he said.
“It’s our growth corridor and public transport is the go.
“(The Minister) agreed to fund a planning study to identify a route ... probably down the coastal route along the side of the M1.
“In my view, I think (the route should be) initially down to Tweed City (Shopping Centre).”
Mr Provest said with NSW Government support the project should be more likely to attract Federal Government funding.
New Gold Coast City art work on the G:link tram at Southport. Photo: Steve Holland.
“The more people use it … the more economically viable,” he said.
Tweed Shire councillors would back a proposal to extend the light rail over the border and say there could be potential to take the line as far as Byron Bay.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk with Mayor Tom Tate on the Gold Coast. Picture: Richard Gosling
Deputy Mayor Chris Cherry and councillor Warren Pol­glase said there was strong political support for the light rail to stretch south of the border.
“We’re interested in light rail coming south into Tweed,” Cr Polglase said.
“That’s probably the natural progression … but it’s a long way out.”
New Gold Coast City art work on the G:link tram at Southport. Photo: Steve Holland.
Gold Coast Airport chief operating officer Marion Charlton said a southern route would boost tourism.
“In the 12 months to March 2016, more than 227,000 international passengers who flew into Gold Coast Airport visited northern New South Wales,” she said.
Byron Shire Mayor Simon Richardson urged the NSW Government to include Byron Bay in the study.
Mayor Barry Longland on a bike on old train tracks. Picture: File
“With strong visitation numbers from southeast Queensland into Byron, we could welcome the million visitors into Byron without their cars,” he said.
www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/business/b ... 785f366535
* Stage was budgeted to cost $420 million for 7 kms. That included 4 new trams and 300 carparks at Napper Rd.
It was the cheapest way to go as it did not involve replacing expensive underground infrastructure..
It is also built on and across the Intra Regional Transport Corridor which will make building the second M1 a major problem for future Governments.
Don't how that budget is going, with the massive earthworks that have been taking place.
The tram to Tweed City is a possibility, but further south across the flood plains is just a pipe dream.
GC Airport figures of 622 people per day visiting NSW is no justification for light rail line.
How far into NSW do the 622 per day go?
Heavy rail from Brisbane to Tweed is a far better proposition as long term infrastructure.
* Build it stop talking, it's obvious the whole coast likes trams not buses.
* Not easy to see why.. the buses have never run to schedule.
* Security is the biggest risk in this situation. South east queensland has a small team of transport law enforcement officers but northern nsw has nothing to stop the bogan fare evaders, drunks and druggies that use public transport like its their right without any thoughts for other transport users, especially the elderly who I have witnessed being at risk and in danger. This is one area to look at otherwise it will become a free for all.
* Light Rail should run from Coolangatta to Tweed Heads Hospital and Tweed City shopping centre. There has been a lot of discussion about taking the Light Rail up to Point Danger like a San Francisco style attraction.Mayor Tate you will have a lot more opportunity to advance your Light Rail dream if you include NSW for Federal funding, no brainer.! Heavy rail from Varsity Lakes to Gold Coast Aiport and south down to Byron.
* Great idea but a tram to Byron would take ages...Rail makes more sense from Byron -Tweed - Cooly.
* Firstly. 20,000 homes in the "region" and a need for infrastructure. Absolutely, the only thing is the fastest growing area is the northern GC, not the South. So that is a bit of spin.
Secondly. There is already a rail cutting to take the tram from Coolangatta Rd in Kirra into Coolangatta. There you go saved the council some money on working out which route. What the South needs and Northern NSW is heavy rail.
Thirdly Love to see it go to Byron but you'd be smokin some of the local stuff if you thought that would be feasible with the cost and difficulty of the terrain.
Finally given the tram is sooooo sloooow between Broadbeach and Southport, it will take a tourist the best part of their holiday just to get to Surfers. I can't see it being any quicker than the 777.
Built the heavy rail to Cooly and the tram to supplement running from the rail stations, as stage 2 is doing from Hvale.
* I still ask the question regarding the 777 fancy double decker express bus that runs from the airport about every 15 minutes that hardly has any passengers. As this is the case Where is the justification for spending $3 billion of our money on a shiny tram? Oh that's right, it allows the powers to be to put high rises 800 metres either side of the route. So high rises from Tweed City to Helensvale. Is this the city you want?
* Nobody likes taking a bus, everyone will use the Tram.
* There is no basis whatsoever for saying there is no demand for public transport on that corridor as it is the busiest bus corridor in Queensland outside of Brisbane.
Total patronage on the GC Hwy corridor bus routes south of Broadbeach (in particular the 700, 765 and 777) is somewhere between 3-4 million trips per annum, which means it accounts for around a quarter to a third of the system total. The light rail displaced only a slightly larger number of bus trips when it opened in 2014, and it replaced them with about 50% more than were displaced.
TransLink have all the patronage figures and I suspect those are rather more reliable than anecdotal observations.
* 3-4 Million trips per year, what rubbish. At 4M, that's an AVERAGE of 11K trips per day for 365 days, which would require 157 FULL buses per day @ 70 passengers per bus. I'll rely on simple mathematics rather than Translink patronage figures
* The bus service is very good from the southern end. I use it regularly and see at least 4. 777's go past each day. No bus is ever full and the most people I have seen on 777 is 10.
* Check the timetables - there are 481 services on those 3 routes every day, and the total patronage is around 3.1m. That requires an average occupancy of 17 per trip across the entire day, and if you ever catch a bus you would see that figure is regularly exceeded.
* There were at least 25-30 on the 777 I caught yesterday. Patronage is also growing very strongly. Gold Coast doesn't work like other cities - you don't have huge patronage in traditional peak hours, you have consistent moderate patronage all day long. Buses do not have to be packed to the brim to be doing their job.

Just one of the photos from the paywalled article. 170224F Gold Coast Bulletin - new 'art' work. (SteveHolland)
Attachments
170224F-GoldCoastBulletin-newartwork(SteveHolland).jpg
170224F-GoldCoastBulletin-newartwork(SteveHolland).jpg (239.41 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
Roderick Smith

Re: Glink to Tweed Heads? & Byron Bay??

Postby GeoffreyHansen » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:58 pm

Would extending rail across the border be a good federal infrastructure project?

Also it would be interesting to see trams using the old rail cutting at Coolangatta.
GeoffreyHansen

Favourite Vehicle: Endeavour Railcar

Postby boronia » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:18 pm

Apparently the NSW Government hasn't previously agreed to cross border ticketing for buses. So it's currently "all out, all change" at Tweed?

Maybe it's time to move the border? Or do away with states all together :idea: ?
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby burrumbus » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Your last sentence,Boronia,would save a lot of money and make things work much better.
burrumbus

Postby richard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Surfers paradise to Byron Bay is 93 km. Would that be the longest Light Rail run in the world? As most trams are designed for urban use, what changes would they need to speed them up?
richard

Postby GeoffreyHansen » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:10 pm

I think some of the American interurban lines in the past were longer.
GeoffreyHansen

Favourite Vehicle: Endeavour Railcar

Postby boronia » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Byron seems a bit far, but down into Banora Point or even Chindera could have good potential.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby howlerbus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Byron Bay is far enough away to be served by heavy rail not light rail, would be a very long trip by light rail
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
howlerbus

Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Brisbane / QLD