Bethania back-up Level Xing

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

anthony.222
Favourite Vehicle: Clarks Volvo B12BLE Bustech 76

Bethania back-up Level Xing

Post by anthony.222 »

Hello everyone,

Just in case if you are not aware. Queensland Rail is going to soon construct a back up level crossing in Bethania area if in case the main crossing (Station Road) on the Brisbane end of Bethania station. The back up crossing will be located on the southern end of Bethania station between Church Road and Holzhimer Road. This new crossing will only be used in the event something has caused Station Road Level Crossing has gone wrong for example level crossing boom gates fail. My guess is the new level crossing may have boom gates but I have no clue until I see it.

I will try and get more information as I know and if I see the level crossing and if it is in operation when I am out in Bethania I will showcase some photos. :D :D But you can help to by contributing.
Cheers,
Anthony

for more my videos go to www.youtube.com/AnthonysTrains
simonl

Re: Bethania back-up Level Xing

Post by simonl »

Must be the only place in the western world where a new LX is being considered.
ABS

Post by ABS »

jonwil

Post by jonwil »

This wont be a level crossing. What it will be is a set of (normally locked) gates in the railway track fence and some roadway crossing the tracks. It will only be used in the case where the Bethania level crossing is unusable due to a failure and where an emergency service vehicle needs to cross the tracks for an emergency.

The cost of grade-separating Station Road (or building a new grade separated roadway in the area) would probably be significantly higher than the cost of building this emergency crossing for the rare occasions when the Bethania level crossing fails.
ABS

Post by ABS »

There has been advocacy for the emergency crossing for years. It's currently an informal maintenance trail that will be upgraded to provide emergency access.

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”