Route P332 Chermside to Citywill be extended to begin at St.

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

daveeyh

Re: Route P332 Chermside to Citywill be extended to begin at

Post by daveeyh »

moreton wrote:P332 is now getting good loading in A.M. services city workers have worked out where it goes and they don't have to change buses, City students now catch the bus from Mary and George st stops, PA workers also use it and overflow students catch it to UQ also. It takes time for passengers to try different services to make decisions for what works for them. It works for those that don't want to stand up on a 330, to RBWH, those that work in the Mary/ George st area UQ Gardens Point students, Students that live in inner city get a seat to UQ, anyone going to PAH gets a seat, Boggo Rd passengers can get a seat to UQ instead of barging onto fully loaded 109, 209 etc. Moreton. :wink:
My observations of the P332 is that the new version of the route still carries fewer passengers than when it ran from Chermside to City.

When the P332 departed Chermside Interchange, the bus was often half full.

Passengers north of Chermside still avoid the P332 - they will always preference the tunnel-using 330 or P331 to the above-ground P332. The P332 is perfect for students at Wavell and Kedron High Schools but these students still get on the 330 and transfer at Chermside.

P332 generally takes longer to travel from RBWH to UQ Lakes than the 66 - very few people if any get on the P332 at RBWH; UQ students still prefer the 66.

I don't understand why the P332 travels along Mary Street in the CBD - if the bus travelled along Alice Street and used Stop 95A approaching George Street, this would save up to four minutes in travel time (particularly as it would get rid of the very tight left turn from Mary Street into George Street).

I believe that the lack of information provided at busway stations also hinders the P332 - I believe people get confused with the "rocket" terminology (i.e. that it does not stop between City and UQ Lakes) and thus look for other services to and from UQ.

For instance, the evening P332 services often leave UQ Lakes with only a couple of passengers. If you sit at Boggo Road station and watch, you see that almost every other service departing UQ Lakes (29, 66, 139, 169, 209) sets down students at Boggo Road so that they can transfer to trains - the P332 almost never stops as I don't think students know that the bus actually sets down at Boggo Road and PA Hospital.
simonl wrote:I still reckon that there was no need for this extension and a 79 route from Chermside to UQ Lakes via the Clem 7 to replace the 77 and run more frequently would have been a bigger improvement. Should always have been done that way.
From my observations, there are often as many Griffith University students as UQ students on the 77 so changing the route would disadvantage those students who actually have further to travel.

A compromise could be that the 7.15am, 7.45am, 8.15am, 8.45am and 9.15am services from Chermside could become the '79" so that there was a 30 minute service to both UQ Lakes and Eight Mile Plains in morning peak.
simonl

Post by simonl »

I've observed a large number of people interchanging to/from the 77 at Buranda, O'Keefe St and/or PAH. If it went direct, it is likely that more UQ students would in fact use it while it only goes direct to the Mt Gravatt campus of Griffith. 135 doesn't serve Buranda, Greenslopes or Holland Park West! Why not?
moreton
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo and Ford
Location: *Never have to wait behind a Taxi doing an EFTPOS transation in Brisbane.

Post by moreton »

The most daunting thing about the evening 332 to is the St Flannans Destination on the desto, how many people want to go or even know where St Flannans is situated, least of all 99.9% of the traveling public don't know or would ever want to go there. The fastest way to city centre in gridlocked traffic from UQ is the 332, it is Australia's best kept secret, there are only a few that know about it and use it.
As announced on the news tonight in the future the 332 might go to the newly announced Carseldine Precincit, due to start in the near future with another 300 homes on the old abandoned site. The 332 does not have to negotiate the 5 changes of traffic lights to enter the Chermside interchange and waste another 15 mins like a 330, 340, etc. so the few that use the service are not going to tell anyone else about their direct service that can beat other services home in peak hour.
The most annoying thing is that people hail the bus and ask about desto and route and in the meantime the bus that they need to catch drives by and they have to wait for the next one in 15 minutes time. Moreton :wink:
Never again have to wait in a Q,in Queen Street ?
simonl

Post by simonl »

For stops beyond Chermside, there is the P331 which serves all the same stops, while missing 3 before it.

332 is faster than the 66? Even with that awful traffic on Elizabeth St? Why would that be so?
moreton
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo and Ford
Location: *Never have to wait behind a Taxi doing an EFTPOS transation in Brisbane.

Post by moreton »

Experienced Operators that know and understand traffic flows in the CBD, can make quite a difference in travel times for commuters. Getting private cars out of the CBD in peak times could save bus travel times up to 15/20 minutes better, but to much money being made by Parking Stations to ever see that happen. Vehicles blocking the box, at every intersection in the city peak times adds 15 minutes to each bus service. When the traffic gridlocks, it stays gridlocked for hours so no one gets anywhere fast. Thursday is the worst traffic because everyone brings the car into town to go late night shopping. Until the CBD is cleared of Private cars in peak hours this will only make commute times longer for everyone.Moreton :wink:
Never again have to wait in a Q,in Queen Street ?
simonl

Post by simonl »

A first step would be a bus lane on Elizabeth St and/or a ban on non buses westbound on Adelaide St. The latter was being talked about by Campbell Newman when he was mayor!

Sydney has some intersections with camera enforcement of the rule to not encroach on the intersection against the traffic lights IIRC.

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”