Political support for bus lanes. Is it possible anywhere?

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

simonl

Political support for bus lanes. Is it possible anywhere?

Post by simonl »

I've got a couple of suggested locations:
- Juliette St, far right lane in the 430m between Ernest St and the Busway in the AM peak. Perhaps make the left lane at the busway through and left turn rather than left turn only to keep the same number of general purpose through lanes?
- Bowen Bridge Rd inbound from the end of the Northern Busway at Windsor to near Federation St in the AM peak? A lot of buses so could, possibly outweigh complaining?
- Mains Rd inbound transit lane to bus lane upgrade?
- Kelvin Grove Rd inbound transit lane to bus lane upgrade?
- Shaftston Ave approaching the Story Bridge - probably too controversial
- Coronation Drive inbound - Probably unlikely.

Might have to be part of a package which reduces fares due to operating cost savings to get any traction IMO.
richard

Re: Political support for bus lanes. Is it possible anywhere

Post by richard »

The left hand right turn lane from Gympie Rd into Hamilton Rd in the evening peak.
ABS

Post by ABS »

richard wrote:The left hand right turn lane from Gympie Rd into Hamilton Rd in the evening peak.
Absolutely! Been thinking that one for years.
simonl

Post by simonl »

ABS wrote:
richard wrote:The left hand right turn lane from Gympie Rd into Hamilton Rd in the evening peak.
Absolutely! Been thinking that one for years.
Enough that people would like to sacrifice 50% of the right turn general traffic lanes in the PM peak?

Perhaps extend Rod Harding's transitway to Hamilton rd instead of Sparkes St northbound with add a lane on the left and a B signal. What do you think?
richard

Post by richard »

Perhaps extend Rod Harding's transitway to Hamilton rd instead of Sparkes St northbound with add a lane on the left and a B signal. What do you think?
Will be hard getting across to the right turn lanes if there is not something to assist. If you are suggesting a bus only signal that allows right turn from left lane, I agree. Not sure what will be less palatable to care drivers - annoying the people who turn right in peak hours by removing one lane, or annoying everyone by adding another stage in the traffic signal cycling
simonl

Post by simonl »

richard wrote:If you are suggesting a bus only signal that allows right turn from left lane, I agree. Not sure what will be less palatable to car drivers - annoying the people who turn right in peak hours by removing one lane, or annoying everyone by adding another stage in the traffic signal cycling
That's what I'm saying. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts (well, almost) that the B signal would be more acceptable. It's a bit more hidden.
richard

Post by richard »

That's what I'm saying. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts (well, almost) that the B signal would be more acceptable. It's a bit more hidden.
But with the B signal, you upset everyone. With the dedicated right turn lane you only upset those turning right. Don't want to be a politician or town planner.
simonl

Post by simonl »

I don't know, I've never been upset by a B signal or heard anyone complain about it, at least that I can recall. I've heard plenty of people complain about bus lanes.
simonl

Post by simonl »

I guess the other radical suggestion would be to reduce frequency on the 330, 333 and 340 but increase it on the 331, 332 and 341; sending the 332 to the Gympie Rd stop f/s Hamilton Rd rather than the interchange.
richard

Post by richard »

I've heard plenty of people complain about long wait times at red lights. And I agree - not sending the 330 and 340 into the shopping centre at peak times would be a great option.
jonwil

Post by jonwil »

What routes are the 331/332/341? I cant find any of those on the Translink website under timetables.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”