BT Scanias

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

Skyblue1

BT Scanias

Post by Skyblue1 »

Hi all,
Seeing as these are probably next for withdrawal after the Metroliners, I thought I'd open a topic on sightings, transfers etc.

It'll be good to see what observations we get.

Cheers. Martin
daveeyh

Re: BT Scanias

Post by daveeyh »

Scanias 687, 690, 719 and 726 are currently listed on the Manheim site for sale (added today for an auction on Wednesday).

Interesting as I saw 690 and 726 in service in February and March respectively and I would have expected the Scanias stored at Sherwood (and listed as Withdrawn on the BT Buses site) to be the first to be sold off.

I certainly did not expect Scanias to be sold off prior to the Mk3's and Mk4's being withdrawn.
08 XDi

Post by 08 XDi »

Is there really that much of a market for 10-15 year old CNG route buses? The only obvious purchasers jumping out at me would be Torrens, Transfield sand or the SA government, so they can retire some of their remaining high floor MANs more quickly.
Elvis has left the building!
ozbuses

Post by ozbuses »

Any idea if the Scanias were sold; and if so where their final destination will be.
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

ozbuses wrote:Any idea if the Scanias were sold; and if so where their final destination will be.
Could see 690 and 726 at the rear of the Manheim yard today so looks that these two may not have been sold. Pity Manheim no longer park buses near the road so as to get a better view.

I was also surprised that these buses still had their decals - before the Metroliners and Lemons are sent for sale, the decals are usually removed.
Skyblue1

Post by Skyblue1 »

True. Maybe they are testing the water on how well gas buses will sell?? I can't see any buses on manheims, even tho I have seen two Metroliners in White on the NSW site!
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

726 is parked inside the front fence of Virginia Depot today.

Were any of the four Scanias listed for auction last week, actually withdrawn from service?
Bus_Control
Favourite Vehicle: anything diesel!

Post by Bus_Control »

690 is back at Virginia too. The 2 salvage scanias stayed at Manheim. What a strange turn of events!
Skyblue1

Post by Skyblue1 »

According to the btbuses website, none of these are withdrawn until March where 687 and 690 are officially. The other two still in active status.
Skyblue1

Post by Skyblue1 »

701, 708, 710 and 766 all parked up at Virginia for two weeks now.
Skyblue1

Post by Skyblue1 »

Does anyone know where these are??
631, 685, 698, 705, 715, 717, 759, 777 and 783??
All withdrawn last year but not seen any disposal as yet.
Thanks
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

Skyblue1 wrote:Does anyone know where these are??
631, 685, 698, 705, 715, 717, 759, 777 and 783??
All withdrawn last year but not seen any disposal as yet.
Thanks
These are the ones that have been parked at Sherwood for about two years.
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

daveeyh wrote:726 is parked inside the front fence of Virginia Depot today.

Were any of the four Scanias listed for auction last week, actually withdrawn from service?
Bus_Control wrote:690 is back at Virginia too. The 2 salvage scanias stayed at Manheim. What a strange turn of events!
Even curiouser, 690 and 726 are back on the Manheim website for auction on 15/04/2015.
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

daveeyh wrote:Even curiouser, 690 and 726 are back on the Manheim website for auction on 15/04/2015.
These are no longer showing on Manheim.

687 and 719 are still on Manheim (decals have been removed in the pictures) so it seems that these two are definite withdrawals.
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

I was speaking to a Virginia driver yesterday who said that there were Scanias that had been withdrawn and are being used to provide parts.

Does anyone confirm this, and if so, which buses are being cannibalised for parts?
superbossgc

Post by superbossgc »

because their no longer products from the suppliers, so BT decided have to scrap for parts to save the money.
Austral Volvo B10M mk3 Artic (375-380) 1991-2012
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

I believe some items need a bit of clarification here --Two only of the Scania's have been "scrapped for parts." - Interestingly there are also many different, "Suppliers of Parts" and yes some bits are getting difficult to obtain for the Scania L94UB/Volgren. Primarily electronic bits, as there is such a short time from when they are the latest greatest to when they become outdated. (Look at your Mobile Phone and computer).

The only ones scrapped so far, namely 2 Insurance write offs have been through tragic accidents in the last 11 years. Now that the oldest Scania's are quickly approaching 15 years old and as you will have seen with B10M's 20 years 364 days is the life of a bus at BCC because a frame inspection is required, due to a long outdated régime imposed by Queensland Government. Ironically QMR use a drawing of an early 1960's x BCC Leyland Worldmaster on their inspection document and yet these were only kept for 17years in BCC before being sold to private operators.

No other Scania's have been "scrapped" a very few have recently become low on the priority of repairs.
ie: The cost of repair and availability of buses, but are still around.
There were some buses parked up for a longer time after the gas cylinder rupture at Virginia several years ago, of these you will see they have been returning to the road. Also unfortunately a few of these have been seen as "midnight spares" whilst they remain parked at a depot running these Scania buses, so they have been parked on the interim at Eagle Farm and Sherwood.

Like the Albion Valkyries and all the other makes and models before, to B10M's and B10L's there will come a day when they will all be gone. Not this September 2015 though, now with the 3rd Extension of the Translink Operator Contracts to September 2016 much to the chargrin of some, and Qld Government Minister, Gordon Chalk back in the late 1950's and several others who have wanted to disband Brisbane's Public Transport since,

We have watched them all come along, make big noises and disappear and the buses still rumble around!

Scania L94UB's will be around a little while longer.
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
racingnathan
Favourite Vehicle: BT Volvo B12BLE and B7RLE

Post by racingnathan »

Is there any plan to do a minor refurb on these buses?
Blade
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7RLE [Volgren]

Post by Blade »

I've always wondered why the Scanias never go to W depot. I've only ever seen them at V or G depots. They're the only 3 CNG depots I think.
It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it. - Aung San Suu Kyi
James00
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Post by James00 »

Blade wrote:They're the only 3 CNG depots I think.
+ Toowong.
Skyblue1

Post by Skyblue1 »

V701, 706 and 710 are all laid up at Virginia but still are intact. I guess parts are being robbed off the withdrawn scanias at Sherwood!!
Noel

Post by Noel »

Add Carina to the list of Scania depots. They had a small fleet for the GCL going back a number of years now.
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

Skyblue1 wrote:V701, 706 and 710 are all laid up at Virginia but still are intact. I guess parts are being robbed off the withdrawn scanias at Sherwood!!
My reading of Maladjusted's post above is that the Scanias at Sherwood and Eagle Farm are still in working order for use in emergency situations ("midnight spares") so they are not permanently withdrawn from service, nor being used for parts.
Skyblue1

Post by Skyblue1 »

On the sherwood scanias, just wondering if anyone has pics of these and who would you ask at the garage (or BT Transport) for an official visit??
Would anyone be interested in a visit??
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

Skyblue1 wrote:On the sherwood scanias, just wondering if anyone has pics of these and who would you ask at the garage (or BT Transport) for an official visit??
Would anyone be interested in a visit??
It would be interesting to know whether they have the new Cubic equipment installed - would be a good sign whether they are ever destined to return to service.

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”