Real-Time System pilot

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

Real-Time System pilot

Postby 08 XDi » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:09 pm

Real-Time System pilot

What is the Real-Time System pilot?
The Real-Time System pilot is a trial of real-time information technology on TransLink services operated by Clarks Logan City Bus Service. The pilot will start from mid-2012 for approximately 12 months, and at an estimated cost of $11.4 million.

By keeping the scope of the project to Clarks Logan City buses we are able to test and refine the technology, address any teething problems and improve the system based on customer feedback. A wider roll-out of the technology is subject to the success of the pilot, customer acceptance and funding availability.

What are the benefits?
•Customers will have access to reliable and precise information on the status of their service via the TransLink website, mobile site and Call Centre.
•Customers waiting at some of the major stops in the Logan area will be able to see how far away their bus is via the electronic timetable information boards.
•Passengers travelling on-board will see where they are on the route and which stops are coming up next via the electronic information boards.
•On-board audio announcements will make travel easier for customers with a visual impairment.
Why is it needed?
Our research has identified that some customers (especially unfamiliar bus users) can feel quite anxious about using public transport. They might wonder whether they're at the right stop, how long they need to wait or when to get off the bus.

Real-time passenger information means customers will have access to accurate service information before they leave home, at the bus stop and on-board - making travel even easier.

Don't we already have real-time information?
The electronic timetable information currently provided on our busway network and at the busier Brisbane Transport stops is a mix of scheduled and real-time information. This older technology relies on working road infrastructure and transponders on-board Brisbane Transport buses, rather than GPS and means some services 'drop off' the electronic passenger information boards without arriving and with no explanation. This is very frustrating for customers and not an ideal real-time solution for customers.

How will it affect me?
If you use TransLink services operated by Clarks Logan City Bus Service you will have access to real-time information from mid-2012 as part of your normal on-board journey or via translink.com.au, compatible mobile devices and at some bus stops.

We'll continue to keep you updated as the launch draws closer via website updates, advertising in local papers and on-board information.

http://translink.com.au/about-translink ... stem-pilot
Gold Coast Build Quality
08 XDi

Re: Real-Time System pilot

Postby BestFriendHasLeprosy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:26 pm

Mid 2012! It keeps getting pushed further back. I thought it was originally meant to start back in October? Oh well, I still can't wait for it :D
BestFriendHasLeprosy

Favourite Vehicle: LCBS Bustech

Postby Set Down Only » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:52 pm

Will this be exactly the same as Cairns have on the website now?
Express - Set Down Only.
Joined the 1000 club 8/7/11
Bus models - stevesmodelbuses@yahoo.com

'I Did Double Decker Day 1'
Set Down Only

Favourite Vehicle: Surfside 332

Postby 08 XDi » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:13 am

Set Down Only wrote:Will this be exactly the same as Cairns have on the website now?

Ours will work much better - it will involve real-time tracking, mobile functionality, on-board announcements and displays, street-side displays etc.
Gold Coast Build Quality
08 XDi

Postby nikko » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:52 am

LCBS buses are now being progressively fitted with wiring and brackets for on-board PIDs.

Also, I've heard some murmurs that the project team want to use distance-based tracking devices as opposed to GPS (I assume because of the busway tunnels). Hopefully this is not the case because with distance-based, any sort of variation to the route (missed turn etc.) will result in the real-time info being out of sync.
nikko

Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M Mk.III

Postby BestFriendHasLeprosy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:50 am

nikko wrote:LCBS buses are now being progressively fitted with wiring and brackets for on-board PIDs.

Most are already fitted. They've been fitting them for a few months now.
BestFriendHasLeprosy

Postby 08 XDi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:36 pm

nikko wrote:LCBS buses are now being progressively fitted with wiring and brackets for on-board PIDs.

Also, I've heard some murmurs that the project team want to use distance-based tracking devices as opposed to GPS (I assume because of the busway tunnels). Hopefully this is not the case because with distance-based, any sort of variation to the route (missed turn etc.) will result in the real-time info being out of sync.

I thought that GPS issues in the CBD would have been long resolved for go card, and that this shouldn't be greatly different.

Can they install some kind of signal repeaters?
Gold Coast Build Quality
08 XDi

Postby nikko » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:44 pm

SM247 wrote:

I thought that GPS issues in the CBD would have been long resolved for go card, and that this shouldn't be greatly different.

Can they install some kind of signal repeaters?

This is what I'm hoping prevails. Its just a matter of convincing the right people.
nikko

Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M Mk.III

Postby BestFriendHasLeprosy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Screens are starting to be fitted - see here.
BestFriendHasLeprosy

Trip Tacker trial is now online for LCBS

Postby superbossgc » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:24 am

spotted from qld media centre.

Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Scott Emerson
Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Ready, set, track!

Trip Tracker will be off and tracking on Clarks Logan City buses, with the launch of the new real-time technology today.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said the new real-time technology meant passengers in Logan no longer had to guess where their bus was, because they could track it.

“It was an exciting experience being on the bus this morning and using Trip Tracker for the first time,” Mr Emerson said.

“Whether you use a smart phone, a computer, bus information display, or ring passenger information this new technology will take the guess work and anxiety out of waiting for a bus.

“Passengers can check the TransLink website on their phone or computer to see how far away their bus is and know they can finish that last cup of tea and won’t miss their ride.

“The information displayed on screens on the bus will make an unfamiliar trip less daunting for passengers as they can follow where they are on the route and know when their stop is approaching.

“Thirteen kerb-side information displays are also up and running today, equipped with ‘next bus’ audio announcements so passengers won’t be standing at a bus stop wondering if their bus is one minute or 10 minutes away.”

Trip Tracker will run as a trial on Clarks Logan buses from Tuesday 24 July until mid-2013. Passengers are encouraged to use this time to familiarise themselves with the system and provide feedback to TransLink.

For more information on Trip Tracker, visit the TransLink website at translink.com.au. Real-time journey planning information for Logan buses will also be available by phoning 13 12 30 anytime.

http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MM ... x?id=79944
Austral Volvo B10M mk3 Artic (375-380) 1991-2012
superbossgc

Postby BestFriendHasLeprosy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Well now that this has been up and running for a couple of days, here are my observations from it.

The screens are excellent - very concise and simple, reading and understanding them is super easy. Knowing what the stops are, how long until the bus gets there and when to press the button is a wonderous advantage.

I heard some reports of the systems failing, but I had no problems on the various 555s, 556s and 576s I took this morning - all worked perfectly.

The audio announcements are stupid though. There is a pause and the voice changes between them. I.E. Bus is approaching EMP. "The next stop is" voice changes, becomes quiteter, "Eight Mile Plains busway station". It appears fairly easy to turn these off though, as a few drivers had done.

There is no signs up for this at Springwood or any stops for that matter (possibly at Hyperdome? Didn't go there today), despite TransLink saying there would be, but I'm sure they'll come eventually.

Overall, this has been possibly the best new infrastructure since the Eastern Busway and the INB before that (Northern Busway sucks).
BestFriendHasLeprosy

Postby cal_t » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:07 pm

BestFriendHasLeprosy wrote:The audio announcements are stupid though. There is a pause and the voice changes between them. I.E. Bus is approaching EMP. "The next stop is" voice changes, becomes quiteter, "Eight Mile Plains busway station". It appears fairly easy to turn these off though, as a few drivers had done.

This is what I don’t get about alot of workers within the transport industry in Australia, they absolutely refuse to support any idea for improving information provision. Turning the DVA off will not be good for casual users.

If noise pollution really is an issue for drivers, they should make the front of the bus the quiet zone, however, given that thats where the accessible area is, it wouldn’t make much sense.

Or drivers who jamn timetables in nooks and crannies because the body or ticketing equipment makes noise. All of this contributes to why people are happy to fly, even though it is public transport, versus why people refuse to take the train/bus/tram/ferry because of the perceived image.
——
Any views expressed are do not represent those of any companies and are personal only. Other user ‘CAL’ & 'cal-creativist’ are not my pseudonyms; I am not associated with their posts.
cal_t

Favourite Vehicle: Deckers; LRVs

Postby daveeyh » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:57 am

The Trip Tracker trial was set to end in mid-2013. I don't recall seeing any outcomes or further roll-out. I am gueesing that there is no funding to expand this service.

Does anyone know anything further as there is nothing on the TransLink site?
daveeyh

Postby ABS » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:08 pm

I have heard that there is no funding to expand the roll out so it could be postponed indefinitely.

As a Clarks Logan City Bus Service customer I didn't find Trip Tracker particularly useful myself as the mobile website was not customer friendly.
ABS

Postby 08 XDi » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:18 am

The Logan voice announcements sound considerably less "gumby" than the ones on the Cityglider going from my recent trip on a 560.
Gold Coast Build Quality
08 XDi

Postby BusNut79 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:45 am

Does anybody know what Logan Bus co themselves thought of the init real time system? Did it help in their operations? Would they reccommend the system to other operators?
BusNut79

Return to Discussion - Brisbane / QLD