• Advertisement

Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 08 XDi » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:27 am

Bus network changes will commence the following day - Monday 21 July 2014. This will result in the old network and the trams running in service parallel to each other for one day only.
Elvis has left the building!
User avatar
08 XDi
 
Posts: 4250
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 7:31 am
Location: Elsewhere
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby Mr OC Benz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:16 pm

Basically what happened when the Mandurah Line opened in Perth on Sunday 23 December 2007. The new railway line ran alongside the existing bus services with the new bus network commencing the next day. A smart move as a major project like this is bound to be overwhelmed with the public on opening day celebrations, making it difficult for any commuters to actually use the new trams and associated bus network to get anywhere.
User avatar
Mr OC Benz
Moderator
 
Posts: 5643
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:18 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 1227 times
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 742_VST » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:01 pm

I will be baffled by anyone riding the 703 between Southport and Pac Fair on the 20th of July. I can imagine the 703 being a ghost bus on the 20th. Look forward to riding the G: for the first time! I will be certainly making a day for riding it on the free travel day. :) SUPER EXCITED!!! The wait is (almost) finally over!
742_VST
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby superbossgc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:00 pm

45 years will be over when it opens! since no Trams in queenslands from 1969-2014.
Austral Volvo B10M mk3 Artic (375-380) 1991-2012
User avatar
superbossgc
 
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:11 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Gold Coast Light Rail starting 21 July 2014

Postby Tram Fan 24/7 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:04 pm

MaxHeadway wrote:Finally, a launch date has been confirmed: there'll be a day of free travel on Sunday 20 July, followed by the commencement of revenue services (plus the bus improvements) on Monday the 21st.

TransLink


Hooray !! Now I can book my ticket to the GC from Sydney. I hope anybody can ride on the free day, hope it's not for locals only ! And just in time for my birthday too !! :D Oh & fine weather too please !

TF 24/7
Tram Fan 24/7
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:35 pm
Location: South West Sydney
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Favourite Vehicle: Toyota Coaster.

Re: Gold Coast Light Rail starting 21 July 2014

Postby 742_VST » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:42 pm

Tram Fan 24/7 wrote:
MaxHeadway wrote:Finally, a launch date has been confirmed: there'll be a day of free travel on Sunday 20 July, followed by the commencement of revenue services (plus the bus improvements) on Monday the 21st.

TransLink


Hooray !! Now I can book my ticket to the GC from Sydney. I hope anybody can ride on the free day, hope it's not for locals only ! And just in time for my birthday too !! :D Oh & fine weather too please !

TF 24/7

It would be stupid if non-locals would not be able to ride on the free travel day. So yes, you should be able to ride without needing to be a local. Its not like the officers are going to be asking where you live.
742_VST
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 742_VST » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:10 am

So today I found that they were testing the new departure boards at southport and I presume at other destinations as well. They look great, but I have a problem. I can imaging the lack of showing a route number will lead to confusion since multiple routes end up in the same terminus but travel in completely different directions. This will especially be the case at the Broadbeach South interchange (eg 750, 751 and the 752,755) However I remember seeing that there was one screen at each bus stop at the Broadbeach interchange( ie the A, B, C and D stops) So it shouldn't be an problem there. So far loving the new departure screens, however I don't see the harm in adding a route number before or after the destination. :D
742_VST
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Re: Gold Coast Light Rail starting 21 July 2014

Postby BT-Otto » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:21 pm

742_VST wrote:
Tram Fan 24/7 wrote:
Hooray !! Now I can book my ticket to the GC from Sydney. I hope anybody can ride on the free day, hope it's not for locals only ! And just in time for my birthday too !! :D Oh & fine weather too please !

TF 24/7

It would be stupid if non-locals would not be able to ride on the free travel day. So yes, you should be able to ride without needing to be a local. Its not like the officers are going to be asking where you live.


But don't forget to bring your Passport !!!! :P
noʎ ɹɐǝu snq BT ɐ uı
_________________
User avatar
BT-Otto
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:37 pm
Location: On my seat behind the Windscreen!!
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 10 times
Favourite Vehicle: Brisbane Transport B7's

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 08 XDi » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:54 pm

742_VST wrote:So today I found that they were testing the new departure boards at southport and I presume at other destinations as well. They look great, but I have a problem. I can imaging the lack of showing a route number will lead to confusion since multiple routes end up in the same terminus but travel in completely different directions. This will especially be the case at the Broadbeach South interchange (eg 750, 751 and the 752,755) However I remember seeing that there was one screen at each bus stop at the Broadbeach interchange( ie the A, B, C and D stops) So it shouldn't be an problem there. So far loving the new departure screens, however I don't see the harm in adding a route number before or after the destination. :D


Pretty sure there will be route numbers shown. When I was in Southport over the weekend the screen showed "Test" at the start of each bus entry, followed by the terminating location - I expect that is just a marker to be replaced with the route number. This was the first time I had seen the bus ones "live", although the southbound one happened to be showing the northbound routes. Plenty of time to iron little bugs out in the next 2 weeks.
Elvis has left the building!
User avatar
08 XDi
 
Posts: 4250
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 7:31 am
Location: Elsewhere
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 742_VST » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:41 pm

08 XDi wrote:
742_VST wrote:So today I found that they were testing the new departure boards at southport and I presume at other destinations as well. They look great, but I have a problem. I can imaging the lack of showing a route number will lead to confusion since multiple routes end up in the same terminus but travel in completely different directions. This will especially be the case at the Broadbeach South interchange (eg 750, 751 and the 752,755) However I remember seeing that there was one screen at each bus stop at the Broadbeach interchange( ie the A, B, C and D stops) So it shouldn't be an problem there. So far loving the new departure screens, however I don't see the harm in adding a route number before or after the destination. :D


Pretty sure there will be route numbers shown. When I was in Southport over the weekend the screen showed "Test" at the start of each bus entry, followed by the terminating location - I expect that is just a marker to be replaced with the route number. This was the first time I had seen the bus ones "live", although the southbound one happened to be showing the northbound routes. Plenty of time to iron little bugs out in the next 2 weeks.

Ah yes, that clears it up.
742_VST
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 742_VST » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:14 pm

Does anyone actually know what time the very first passenger tram departs on the Sunday morning, and from what station?
742_VST
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 08 XDi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:34 pm

Yet to be finalised as I understand it. Will depend on what the politburo is doing.

Timetables are available for the first Monday service - I believe the first one leaves GCUH around 5am, a few minutes before the first one leaves Broadbeach South.
Elvis has left the building!
User avatar
08 XDi
 
Posts: 4250
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 7:31 am
Location: Elsewhere
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 742_VST » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:47 am

Doesn't the first one leave the Queen St Station at 4:14am on weekdays?
742_VST
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby Bedford-29 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:14 pm

Monday-Friday first tram 5am last tram midnight Saturday and Sunday Midnight-midnight service.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
User avatar
Bedford-29
 
Posts: 4933
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 08 XDi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:27 pm

742_VST wrote:Doesn't the first one leave the Queen St Station at 4:14am on weekdays?


Apparently so. The first full-length southbound run is the 5am one.
Elvis has left the building!
User avatar
08 XDi
 
Posts: 4250
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 7:31 am
Location: Elsewhere
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 742_VST » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:12 pm

08 XDi wrote:
742_VST wrote:Doesn't the first one leave the Queen St Station at 4:14am on weekdays?


Apparently so. The first full-length southbound run is the 5am one.
Which one do you think will be worth waking up early for, the 4:14am one from Queen St and having the status of riding the first ever passenger service, or the first full length service at 5 from GCUH?
742_VST
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby Bedford-29 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:17 pm

There is no 4:14am the first tram is 5am and last tram 12 midnight Monday to Friday the only time you will a 4:14am is the 24hr weekend timetable I posted this information.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
User avatar
Bedford-29
 
Posts: 4933
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 742_VST » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:27 pm

Sorry about all this confusion, I just thought that since the timetable in the TL website had a 4:14 service there was one, but obviously not. Sorry again...
742_VST
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 742_VST » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:35 pm

I noticed something really peculiar this morning. I saw the 7:54am eastbound route 755 operating by fleet no. 334. What was strange was on its desto if did not show Pacific Fair 755, but instead it had on the desto Pacific Fair (then under it) Surfers Paradise, with no route number. Could someone please tell me what this is and why it was on the desto?
742_VST
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby gc taxi 121 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:14 pm

Translink has advised that on Sunday 20 July the G: will be running to a normal weekday timetable for the expected crowds wanting to utilize the free travel opportunity....very tempted to be there at my local stop (Uni hospital) for the first service at 5am as would probably be awake then...wonder if our colleague 08XDI is still having his counterlunch in Southport to celebrate the occasion....
P.S. In passing was interesting to hear Transport Minister Emerson announce today in Parliament that a new ticketing system is being sought as the existing contract expires in 2016 - looking for value for money...me thinks most passengers would like that too Minister!
Rest in peace Robin
gc taxi 121
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:54 pm
Location: Arundel, Gold Coast
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 8 times
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Leopard

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby Salisbury532 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:30 pm

gc taxi 121 wrote:Translink has advised that on Sunday 20 July the G: will be running to a normal weekday timetable for the expected crowds wanting to utilize the free travel opportunity....very tempted to be there at my local stop (Uni hospital) for the first service at 5am as would probably be awake then...wonder if our colleague 08XDI is still having his counterlunch in Southport to celebrate the occasion....
P.S. In passing was interesting to hear Transport Minister Emerson announce today in Parliament that a new ticketing system is being sought as the existing contract expires in 2016 - looking for value for money...me thinks most passengers would like that too Minister!


Will they be running high frequency bus services from the heavy rail line, surely they're expecting large crowds from brissy way.
Salisbury532
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 8:34 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 742_VST » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:24 pm

Salisbury532 wrote:
gc taxi 121 wrote:Translink has advised that on Sunday 20 July the G: will be running to a normal weekday timetable for the expected crowds wanting to utilize the free travel opportunity....very tempted to be there at my local stop (Uni hospital) for the first service at 5am as would probably be awake then...wonder if our colleague 08XDI is still having his counterlunch in Southport to celebrate the occasion....
P.S. In passing was interesting to hear Transport Minister Emerson announce today in Parliament that a new ticketing system is being sought as the existing contract expires in 2016 - looking for value for money...me thinks most passengers would like that too Minister!


Will they be running high frequency bus services from the heavy rail line, surely they're expecting large crowds from brissy way.

The answer, kinda. There will be no new high frequency services put in on the Sunday specifically for connecting people from heavy to light rail. However, with that said, there will be existing high frequency services that visitors can use to get onto the line, just no new ones until Monday. Here are some of the high frequency options that people connecting from heavy to light rail will have on the Sunday. Route 704 from Helensvale Station will connect people to the Southport light rail station. However if you travel a bit further south and get off at Robina, they can catch the 750 and get off either at Pacific Fair and walk a short distance to Broadbeach south station and travel the full length of the Light Rail line, or get off the 750 at the end of the route at Broadbeach mall and walk to the Broadbeach north station.
742_VST
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 08 XDi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:15 pm

Use neither the 704 nor the 750 if you want to reach either end of the line in a hurry.

Fastest way to Broadbeach South will be to catch a 745 from Nerang (which will meet every train) to Pac Fair and then either walk or catch a 701 out the front. Fastest way to GCUH will be to catch a 710 from Helensvale (although this will only be hourly).
Elvis has left the building!
User avatar
08 XDi
 
Posts: 4250
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 7:31 am
Location: Elsewhere
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby 742_VST » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:01 am

08 XDi wrote:Use neither the 704 nor the 750 if you want to reach either end of the line in a hurry.

Fastest way to Broadbeach South will be to catch a 745 from Nerang (which will meet every train) to Pac Fair and then either walk or catch a 701 out the front. Fastest way to GCUH will be to catch a 710 from Helensvale (although this will only be hourly).

Ah yes totally forgot the 745 there. I was only giving the high frequency connections that I would use. But yes, the 745 would be the best option in order to get to the light rail. It's just not a high frequency route though and that's why I didn't mention it. Come Monday though, the 709 will be the best option to connect to the light rail for a full length ride from the GCUH terminus. Happy travelling :)
742_VST
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Postby superbossgc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Happy new Operator Goldlinq! it's midnight ended 45 years!
Austral Volvo B10M mk3 Artic (375-380) 1991-2012
User avatar
superbossgc
 
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:11 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 44 times

PreviousNext


  • Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Brisbane / QLD

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests