Green Bridge Construction Updates!

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

Noel

Post by Noel »

widget wrote:I'm new here, but shouldnt the Uni pay for part of the bridge? To me, it seems like their destroying Dutton Park to the benifit of people who live in Carindale.
Lets get some facts straight here, after 5 minutes of googling, I have produced results saying that UQ are not the ones who pushed for this bridge. The BCC did, the BCC followed up and got community feedback. BCC realised that they need to do something to get the buses off St Lucia roads and they did, so I am not sure how you can come out and say the uni is ruining Dutton Park when they didnt't even propose the sturcture.
widget wrote: I can understand not wanting a busway through their duck ponds and that, but they could build a tunnel to Fred Schonell Drive so the buses can access Toowong ect.
Why would buses need to get to Toowong? The services will be operated by Garden City and Carina depots most likely so would they need to go to another depot. The whole idea is to get bus off those roads so the argument of running blank back to the city that wa doesn't really work.
widget wrote:Yes, I do agree the uni is being picky. They want a transport solution but they dont want a high frequency busway through the campus!
The uni may sound picky, but ripping up half a heritage listed universtity for a busway is not something anyone in this day and age should be doing. As for them saying they want a transport solution, they never even suggested this idea that is going ahead.
bunza

Post by bunza »

T1229 wrote:
widget wrote: I can understand not wanting a busway through their duck ponds and that, but they could build a tunnel to Fred Schonell Drive so the buses can access Toowong ect.
Why would buses need to get to Toowong? The services will be operated by Garden City and Carina depots most likely so would they need to go to another depot. The whole idea is to get bus off those roads so the argument of running blank back to the city that wa doesn't really work.
I can answer this one - cross-suburban travel. The importance of providing facilites for cross-suburban travel has been identified in the Translink plan, as well as the infrastructure plan etc. Say for example you have a Griffith student living in Kenmore, at present to get to Griffith, he would have to travel to the city, and then fight for a place on the busway.

However, if the Green Bridge was connected to the road network (much against the wish of UQ), this commuter could travel on a service from Kenmore to Garden City, getting off at the Griffith busway station - a single seat journey.

Having river crossings such as the Green Bridge that are only accessible via public transport slash journey times sufficiently enough to make it time-competitive with the car.
Noel

Post by Noel »

bunza wrote:I can answer this one - cross-suburban travel. The importance of providing facilites for cross-suburban travel has been identified in the Translink plan, as well as the infrastructure plan etc. Say for example you have a Griffith student living in Kenmore, at present to get to Griffith, he would have to travel to the city, and then fight for a place on the busway.

However, if the Green Bridge was connected to the road network (much against the wish of UQ), this commuter could travel on a service from Kenmore to Garden City, getting off at the Griffith busway station - a single seat journey.

Having river crossings such as the Green Bridge that are only accessible via public transport slash journey times sufficiently enough to make it time-competitive with the car.
I disagree wholey with cross-suburban travel. The longer the bus travels, the more likely it is going to run late and get even later by the time it gets to it's terminus.
08 XDi

Post by 08 XDi »

The DTNP also suggests that the GCL will be broken up and improved with higher frequencies along the three legs - Garden City - Chermside, Chermside - Indro, Indro - Garden City.

If he wants to go from Kenmore to Griffith Uni, he can change at Indro and get a GCL 598 or its future improved version of that leg to save time and avoid Zone 1 (if he wants Mt Gravatt, its only one more 5min or less trip from Garden City).
Elvis has left the building!
quink

Post by quink »

Theoretically yes, but the past year has proven that the DTNP has gone into a great bin in the sky.
08 XDi

Post by 08 XDi »

Well, it was only a Draft TNP. I wonder if they will bother releasing another one soon to account for all the differences between it and the present state of affairs.
Elvis has left the building!
bunza

Post by bunza »

quink wrote:Theoretically yes, but the past year has proven that the DTNP has gone into a great bin in the sky.
The Gold Coast seems to have stuck to it, in terms of services - not timeframes for delivery.

However the third page of this said the DTNP would be updated at the beginning of each year, so therefore we are long overdue for a redux.
widget

Post by widget »

Back to topic, I visited the bridge the other day and the Dutton Park towertops are completed;

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”