Canberra Trip #5

Moderator: Busnerd

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
MetroTasCatcher
Favourite Vehicle: Ford Crown Victoria P71

Canberra Trip #5

Post by MetroTasCatcher »

I was in Canberra from the 25th - 28th of August for an educational school trip, and I enjoyed the place thoroughly. Our coach charter group was "Grand Touring" and I managed to photograph our Austral Denning on the first day and the Mercedes the rest of the trip in different locations. Please excuse the quality of some of the shots, as it was either raining, taken from inside the coach or we were in a massive rush to go to our next destination.

This last set features ACTION. We weren't allowed to wander round much, so I couldn't get many good shots :(
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ POLICE LINE - DO NOT CROSS ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Canberra Trip #5

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

OK. Q for ACT members :?: In the 6th pic, which shows a few rear ends of the PR100s, IS ONE OF THEM a PR100-1 compared to a PR100-2, as the paint is blue over orange, where the other one is orange over blue AND the rear lights are different. :?: :?: Thanks in advance
Lemon
Favourite Vehicle: Reno PR100.3 (107/108/990/991)

Post by Lemon »

They are all PR100.2s the ones with the round lights are Mk Is, the Square lights are Mk IIs.

There was only ever one PR100(.1) in Australia and that operated for ACTION up until 2000 when it was sold to Cavanagh's of Kempsy.

Pictures of this bus can be found here
One of the last member of the General public to set foot in Belconnen Interchange, 24 May 2009
"Even if it's free, I'm not buying it"_'Irisbus Rider'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zacmathes
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Thanks Lemon, BUT why would they paint one model blue/orange and the other orange/blue. I would have thought they'd ALL be the same
Sir Pompously
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Post by Sir Pompously »

ACTION's corporate colours were orange and blue up until a few years ago. The original ACTION Livery was a blue stripe under the window line (And above orange, seperated by a white reflective tape stripe), which created a Z pattern on the front side to proceed around the front under the windscreen. I would say this is the reason for the first livery being blue over orange. Why they changed to orange over blue I am unsure (The Mercedes and some MAN's went into Orange over Blue after refurb), however all the liveries were (Until the latest Green and Orange) orange and blue and that is all that matters. The Dart's and PR100.3's share the same livery of Orange with a blue stripe and grey skirting, and the 100.3's were introduced shortly after the final PR100.2's.
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
ajw373

Post by ajw373 »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:Thanks Lemon, BUT why would they paint one model blue/orange and the other orange/blue. I would have thought they'd ALL be the same
Liveries change. Simple as that.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

ajw373 wrote:Liveries change. Simple as that.
Yeh, I realise that, but my point was mearly, why some had orange over blue, whilst others had blue over orange. It's NOT exactly a livery change as such. It just appeared as though they forgot what colour went above the other. Sir Pompously basically explained the reasoning. Cheers
Here in Hobart, they too cannot standardise liveries/signage, so I was just asking the Q if Canberra was the same. :roll:
ajw373

Post by ajw373 »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:
ajw373 wrote:Liveries change. Simple as that.
Yeh, I realise that, but my point was mearly, why some had orange over blue, whilst others had blue over orange. It's NOT exactly a livery change as such. It just appeared as though they forgot what colour went above the other. Sir Pompously basically explained the reasoning. Cheers
Here in Hobart, they too cannot standardise liveries/signage, so I was just asking the Q if Canberra was the same. :roll:
It was 100% a livery change, however the colours remained the same just reversed. As for Sir Pomp he gave a good explanation of the history of Action liveries, however not the reasoning, doubt any of us unless we were in the decision making process would know the reason. Now if you had of look carefully you would have seen a 3rd variation too which goes in between the two series. These have a blue on the panel at the back seat. It so happens that the livery changes co-incide with the various different orders too.

Return to “Photos - Canberra/ACT”