CountryLink Open Days

Moderator: Busnerd

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Irisbus Rider
Favourite Vehicle: CC Mercedes Benz 0405

CountryLink Open Days

Post by Irisbus Rider »

Today, CountryLink Travel Centre in Kingston held their open day to celebrate the refurbishment of the travel centre and the station (it looked the same to me). This included a jumping castle, sausage sizzle, free kids packs and a free train fride from Canberra to Queanbeyan on a refurbished XPL train.
It was a massive day with 'Talking Canberra 1206 2CC' broadcasting live from the station, Raiders players at the station conducting a meet and greet and discount rail fares on offer from Canberra to Sydney ($30 return to Sydney, $50 return to Melbourne, what a bargain! These tickets were sold out by midday). By the end of the day, it was concluded that approx. 6000 people passed through the Station.

I was most interested in the free train ride between Canberra and Queanbeyan, as this presented a great opportunity to get a few photos of the train. Unfortunately, I didn't get a ride on it, but, I got a few photos instead, which can be found below;
CountryLink XPL set lead by 2503 is seen heading for Canberra about to pass under the Newcastle St bridge.

CountryLink XPL set lead by 2503 seen bound for Queanbeyan, just passed the Railway St overpass in Oaks Estate.

CountryLink XPL set seen passing through the industrial suburb of Fyshwick bound for Queanbeyan, about to go under Newcastle St - I had to sharpen this photo up a bit, came out blurry originally :(

Back at the Kingston Travel Centre;
CountryLink XPL 2503 seen back at the station at the end of the day. From here, the train will travel to Goulburn, where another CountryLink open day will be held. Free train rides avaliable between Goulburn and Joppa Junction if anyone's interested!

This appeared to be the only refurbished part of the Railway Station, oh, wait, I mean Travel Centre.

Thanks for viewing these photos, as usual, comments are more than welcome, both negative and positive!
go-bus: The Metro Advantage
DarrenH

Re: CountryLink Open Days

Post by DarrenH »

What a shame that you didn't get to go on the free train ride between Canberra and Queanbeyan as there would of been some more great pics taken along the way. I wonder what type of refurbishment was done to the travel centre at Canberra Station?
Windy

Post by Windy »

Nice pics!! I take it you camped at various spots on the line to MAXIMISE phototaking opportunities, sacrificing a ride on the train. No idea how riding the train would provide more photo opps... :roll:
Irisbus Rider
Favourite Vehicle: CC Mercedes Benz 0405

Post by Irisbus Rider »

Thanks Windy.
Yeah, maximised my photo opps indeed, only thing I sacrificed was photo opps from inside the train, which was not what I was after!

It did become somewhat awkward while waiting to get a few of these shots, namely standing on a sidewalk of a Fyshwick street for 15 mins; the other; sitting on disused tracks behind a junkyard, with the token junkyard dog not happy with my presence. I found a Toyota logo (which might find it's way to decorate my Camry!) though, so it wasn't all bad.

As for the refurbished travel centre, as I implied, the station sign appeared to be the only refurbished part of the whole travel centre. The rest of the travel centre looked the same to me......Oh wait, the name changed from 'Kingston Railway Station' to 'Kingston Travel Centre', that'd be the refurbishment I'd say. Now I know what it must feel like to live in NSW :P
I'm somewhat cynical, aren't I.....
go-bus: The Metro Advantage
Sir Pompously
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Post by Sir Pompously »

Irisbus Rider wrote: As for the refurbished travel centre, as I implied, the station sign appeared to be the only refurbished part of the whole travel centre. The rest of the travel centre looked the same to me.
And even then, the signs have been like that since atleast last year. The newest thing at that train station is the sign next to the Carpark which says 'Customer parking only'. All the other Blue and Blue signs have had a coverplate with the new logo, and looks tacky.
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
Windy

Post by Windy »

Irisbus Rider wrote:Thanks Windy.
Yeah, maximised my photo opps indeed, only thing I sacrificed was photo opps from inside the train, which was not what I was after!

It did become somewhat awkward while waiting to get a few of these shots, namely standing on a sidewalk of a Fyshwick street for 15 mins; the other; sitting on disused tracks behind a junkyard, with the token junkyard dog not happy with my presence. I found a Toyota logo (which might find it's way to decorate my Camry!) though, so it wasn't all bad.

As for the refurbished travel centre, as I implied, the station sign appeared to be the only refurbished part of the whole travel centre. The rest of the travel centre looked the same to me......Oh wait, the name changed from 'Kingston Railway Station' to 'Kingston Travel Centre', that'd be the refurbishment I'd say. Now I know what it must feel like to live in NSW :P
I'm somewhat cynical, aren't I.....
I thought as much but it seems to be beyond what His Insipidness can grasp conceptually. You shoulda taken some barking dog pics, hahaha. While not defending Railcorp in any way, here's hoping that the refurbishment was internal more than just the cosmetic changes.

Return to “Photos - Canberra/ACT”