Drivers manual for Leyland National buses.

Moderator: Busnerd

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
mddawson
Favourite Vehicle: Lamborghini Muria

Drivers manual for Leyland National buses.

Post by mddawson »

I found this last week. I have posted some samples below. The whole book in PDF format is here: http://www.archives.act.gov.au/__data/a ... manual.pdf
cover.jpg
data.JPG
dashboard.JPG
parking.JPG
Last edited by mddawson on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jumbles
Favourite Vehicle: Unicycle

Re: Drivers manual for Leyland National buses.

Post by Jumbles »

"This light will cancel when the rear door is opened"

How long has Canberra had "Doors will only Open at Interchanges" - Presumably since sometime after these buses were used??
Sir Pompously
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Post by Sir Pompously »

Jumbles wrote:"This light will cancel when the rear door is opened"

How long has Canberra had "Doors will only Open at Interchanges" - Presumably since sometime after these buses were used??
Well I was only born in '88, however they have been on the door's for aslong as I can remember, and looking at older pics I would say the stickers were introduced around the mid to late 80's when the 100.2's were being introduced (EDIT: and now looking around at more old photos, even early Renault's did not have the sticker!).
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
ajw373

Post by ajw373 »

Jumbles wrote:"This light will cancel when the rear door is opened"

For as long as I can remember and have been riding Canberra buses (circa 1978) unloading has always been through the front except at an interchange. Indeed Nationals were the mainstay of the Belconnen fleet so caught them almost daily until their demise. So one of two things. The document has a mistake in it, OR after initially entering service the bell cancel function was relocated or added to the front door.
ZIB-585
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G

Post by ZIB-585 »

The Leyland Nationals did not have a bell circuit like current buses do. You could press the bell button at any time and it would always 'ding'. They must have disconnected the bus-stop light fairly early on, although I remember on some buses the light went on only when the bell was rung. AFAIK the Leylands were the first bus in Canberra to have a rear door interlock. But the exit from front door rule was in place when the Nationals were in service.
Fully accredited Hino Poncho driver.
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

I thought ACTION re-motored a lot of the Leyland Nationals with Man motors and three speed automatic gearboxes before they were withdrawn from service but it is rare to see a drivers manual for a leyland national nowadays.
ajw373

Post by ajw373 »

ZIB-585 wrote:The Leyland Nationals did not have a bell circuit like current buses do. You could press the bell button at any time and it would always 'ding'. They must have disconnected the bus-stop light fairly early on, although I remember on some buses the light went on only when the bell was rung. AFAIK the Leylands were the first bus in Canberra to have a rear door interlock. But the exit from front door rule was in place when the Nationals were in service.
Your right the bell could be rang all the time, but I still thought there was a stopping light that got cancelled when then front doors were opened.
ajw373

Post by ajw373 »

ALBION1881 wrote:I thought ACTION re-motored a lot of the Leyland Nationals with Man motors and three speed automatic gearboxes before they were withdrawn from service but it is rare to see a drivers manual for a leyland national nowadays.
Some where re-engined. Most were as you say MAN engines, but I think a few also got re-engined with Gardiners.

Return to “Photos - Canberra/ACT”