Once upon a time ....... ex ACTION/DOI buses

Moderator: Busnerd

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Centralian

Once upon a time ....... ex ACTION/DOI buses

Post by Centralian »

Here's a collection of former DOI / ACTION buses in service with private operators back in the '70's and '80's. A double 'once upon a time' post because not only are they no longer with ACTION/DOI but also no longer with the operator pictured. Hope you enjoy !

7.1.jpg
20.1.jpg
9.1.jpg
11.1.jpg
12.1.jpg
13.1.jpg
6.1.jpg
17.1.jpg
15.1.jpg
Re the above photo. As system improver pointed out in my Part 2 post that one of the AEC buses in GMs image had the route number on the nearside while all others were offside, I notice same in this one. Possibly the same vehicle (if a one off) in its after life. Anyone have any background to this variation?

3.1.jpg
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
ALBION1881

Re: Once upon a time ....... ex ACTION/DOI buses

Post by ALBION1881 »

Here is two Mcvicars AECs and a Foleys AEC SWIFT from the Leon Batman collection the Mcvicars AECs could be action but I will leave up you they are or not mate the blue & white AEC in picture 9 looks like ex BCC to me but I COULD BE WRONG.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

ALBION1881 wrote:the blue & white AEC in picture 9 looks like ex BCC to me but I COULD BE WRONG.
Here are a couple more shots I took (poor quality) from the pile at the back of Blue & White's depot that makes me believe the AEC Regal 111 was ex DOI via Red Top. Open to correction though.
16.1.jpg
21.1.jpg
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

Mate here are a couple of the Red top AEC REGAL 3s that the company owned from the Leon Batman collection the one sitting in the open in between the car and the side of the shed maybe the one in your picture and I think Red top did have a few half cab Regal 3s from new I am not sure.
Thirroul

Post by Thirroul »

The photo of 4459 is definately ex Red Top. The AEC Reliance is ex Punchbowl ex DOI. The 2 more modern windows are a result of a T bone accident at the cnr of Forest & King Georges Rds. These used to happen quite often at this intersection before it was improved! The first photo in Centralian's second post is also ex Red Top Transport. This bus was being operated in service in pretty much the condition you see it in. There was a little "plate swapping" going on and I was in Punchbowl the night that the DMT pounced, removing the plates and towing the vehicle away. The ex DOI Regals were taken over by Neville Muscat, (Blue and White Buses), when he purchased Routes 26/176 from Red Top.

The photos of the Comeng Reliances with McVicar 234/054 are also ex DOI. They had 054/234/529/733 (re reg 5783)/943/5781. They also had 577/5782 Reliances, later PMC bodies and 943 Leopard. Don't think I've missed any.

Red Top had a large fleet of ex DOI Reliances which by and large replaced the Regals.

The Red Top depot at Wangee Rd had a dirt floor, never figured how the mechanics put up with it! Different times!
Surf Thirroul, NSW's best beach! Where there's a load, there's a Leyland!
VIKing

Post by VIKing »

Blue and White m/o 4646 was an AEC Reliance 470 / Comeng 20/4/56 B43FR, new to DOI Canberra as C0005, late ZIB005. It went to Punchbowl where it operated as m/o 662. Then to the Greek Orthodoxt Church, Belmore registered GFA 333. Blue and White purchased it 28/8/73 and registered it 29/1/74 as 4646. All of the AEC Regals in this string of photos, both the half cabs and the ones converted to full front originally operated in Canberra. The number plate incident referred to one of the posts took place on 9/4/74. I spoke to Neville Mucat maybe 12 years ago in Gloucester, he told me then that the DMT (as the registration authority was named at that time) were unable to prove a case when they took Blue and White to court, so the charges were dismissed.
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

Here is one more picture from the Leon Batman collection of Priors B/S Batemans bay which includes two DOI/Action AEC Reliances Centralian hope you don`t mind me adding a little bit to your post.
DarrenH

Post by DarrenH »

I like the Priors company logo that they had on the sides of their buses back then. It would look alright if Priors incorporated that old company logo somewhere into their livery nowadays. :P
Thirroul

Post by Thirroul »

Thirroul wrote:The photo of 4459 is definately ex Red Top. The AEC Reliance is ex Punchbowl ex DOI. The 2 more modern windows are a result of a T bone accident at the cnr of Forest & King Georges Rds. These used to happen quite often at this intersection before it was improved! The first photo in Centralian's second post is also ex Red Top Transport. This bus was being operated in service in pretty much the condition you see it in. There was a little "plate swapping" going on and I was in Punchbowl the night that the DMT pounced, removing the plates and towing the vehicle away. The ex DOI Regals were taken over by Neville Muscat, (Blue and White Buses), when he purchased Routes 26/176 from Red Top.

The photos of the Comeng Reliances with McVicar 234/054 are also ex DOI. They had 054/234/529/733 (re reg 5783)/943/5107/5781. They also had 577/5782 Reliances, later PMC bodies and 943 Leopard. Don't think I've missed any.

Red Top had a large fleet of ex DOI Reliances which by and large replaced the Regals.

The Red Top depot at Wangee Rd had a dirt floor, never figured how the mechanics put up with it! Different times!
Blue and White were involved in a couple of spectacular accidents. The biggest of these was when their Ex DGT decker was put on it's side after a collision in Condell Park. Made front page news at the time.
Surf Thirroul, NSW's best beach! Where there's a load, there's a Leyland!
DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Post by DiAmOnD T »

WOW

seeing photos of Foley's buses sure bring back memorys. We used to stand up the front and open the doors for the driver
The Diesel Guy
- Mobile heavy vehicle repairs serving Sydney to Newcastle -

dieselguynsw@gmail.com
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

lol! So did we on the Watt's AECs. One click for one door, two clicks for both doors. Up for the front door, down for the back door.

Return to “Photos - Canberra/ACT”